By BFL Team
- 4 large bell peppers (any color)
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon bottled, minced garlic
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 cups tomato sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup fat-free, shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 pound lean, ground beef, buffalo or turkey
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes, leaving the stems intact. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet or broiler pan, cut sides up.
Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-heat. Coat with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté five minutes or until onion is lightly browned. Remove from heat and let cool.
Combine onion and garlic with rice, 1 cup tomato sauce, 1/4 cup cheese, egg and ground meat in a large bowl, stirring until blended. Spoon 1/2 cup of mixture into each pepper half. Spoon remaining tomato sauce over peppers. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake three minutes or until cheese melts.