Steak Wraps with Ginger Marinade and Apple-Mint Salad
By BFL Team
- 8 ounces skirt steak / 2-4 ounce chicken breasts / 8 ounces firm tofu
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 avocado - halved and sliced
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- 2 romaine lettuce leaves or lettuce of your choosing
- 1 lemon
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger - grated
- 1 whole orange - zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme - chopped
- olive oil
- 2 (10-inch) whole-wheat tortillas
- 1 cup jicama - peeled and sliced into thin strips (place in lemon water along with prepared apple to prevent dis-coloration)
- 1 red apple - cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint - chopped
Marinate your choice of protein in ginger, orange and thyme for up to two hours, grill and cut into ¼-inch slices to serve. To assemble the wraps, simply lay the warmed tortilla out and fill with lettuce, shredded carrot, protein of your choice and avocado and roll tightly. Serves 4.
For the salad, mix drained and dried jicama, apple and mint in a bowl. Toss gently with a drizzle with olive oil and a pinch on salt.
Alternative: Instead of tortillas, substitute Napa cabbage leaves. Simply blanch the leaves in boiling water for 10 seconds and immediately place in ice-cold water. Once cooled, drain on paper towels. You may need two or more leaves overlapped to attain equivalent size of tortilla. Assemble as above.