Mighty Max's Evolution... & Accountability Thread

• Thanks, IWillGetFit.  As for posting here... oh for sure!  

I believe in BFL and especially given those who came before me, like Mike Harris, feel a sense of honor and obligation to pay-forward.  

I also don't think it's disrespectful to BFL to discuss other things.  What gets murky is when one wants to modify the program.  No.  Right now I'm doing CF as my fitness program.  Basically... you can do the BFL program, or not.  It's kinda like being a little pregnant.  

There's some tweaks that can be made as someone progresses, puts a "by-the-book" challenge under their belt, and such, but what I think is more harmful than helpful is when someone comes here "knowing it all", and providing their take on how to do the BFL challenge, when their take doesn't look a thing like what we read in the book, and what got me to this place.  I did it by the book.  I didn't make up my own program.  By the book works.  

My advice for a hardcore and more importantly, successful, BFL Challenge doesn't change.  If someone wants to ask about CF or Paleo, or anything like that, then it's cool, but important to note that I am not saying do THIS and not THAT, if that makes sense.  

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• Mission Learn to Cook Update: I did it.  I made a really healthy meatloaf that was awesome!  I'm super proud.  This goes a long way to keeping me fit, the ability to cook for myself... you know... things I actually want to eat.  

• Today felt like winning.  I increased my front-squat weight significantly.  I'm feeling more at ease and am proud of the routine of working out for me, because I'm worth it.  Eats are on target.  I'm cooking more.  Asparagus grills up nicely.  

• When I set out on my mission to learn to cook, it was with awareness that I would have more tools to stay fit and healthy.  What I didn't realize was how much it would change my relationship with food, and in a healthy way.  I find myself looking up recipes, trying new things, and really enjoying the process of shopping for, preparing, and then eating healthy and wholesome meals.  I've always loved vegetables, but didn't eat them that much at home because my skills were that limited.  My veggie intake has literally tripled.  And now I have much tighter control of what goes into my body.  I don't find myself obsessing, which was a worry of mine, that I would.  I find myself just enjoying being fit.  

• Tonight I made it... the winning meal.  My Mom always thought her kids needed basic skills, which in and of itself, sounds basic, but it's not true of many.  We needed to know how to do laundry, be able to cook at least as far as making an egg and boiling pasta, and various other things we need as adults in this world.  The thing is that my basic cooking sometimes set off the smoke alarm, and that was just making 2 eggs.  As I age I am more enlightened about other things I need to know, and one is to have a few meals that I can make that I can somewhat easily and proudly serve to a guest.  Tonight I made a braised lamb shank with sauteed spinach and mushrooms and it was out of this world.  I know it's off topic from my thread, and the forum especially, but it is my thread... and I just had to share.  It's part of me taking care of me, just like keeping up with my physical fitness.  I'm feeling more capable every single day.  

On that note... I've got to get some shut-eye.  CF in the morning.  If the Federal govt. has a snow day, even though I've never worked for the govt., I try and get out to play in the afternoon, because it's so fun in DC during a snow day, which some years we don't get at all.  

• Wanting to eat my own leftovers makes things so different.  I hadn't considered that factor.  Ordering take-out is one of my downfalls when feeling tired and stressed.  It gets later.  I get hungrier.  Couldn't cook.  No more excuses!  Today was good... really, really good.  

• I'm now able to do an unassisted hand-stand!  Okay... against the wall, but still.  I couldn't even do that as a kid, and I was a super athletic kid.  I've been athletic my whole life, being mesomorphic / Fiber II, though am now reaching milestones I couldn't when being recruited by Villanova for track.  (at the time their women's track team was top 3 in the nation... just sayin')

Oh, and now I'm squatting 125#.  I'm feeling both powerful and humbled.  I have so many more milestone to reach... and then shatter!  I want to be able to do a hand-stand push-up, and a one handed hand-stand, and then I'll have someone take a picture of me waving with the other hand.  I'm watching others do things right now I cannot, which is okay.  If you want it then you have to work for it, so I'll keep working.  

My only concern is respiratory fitness.  I'm just not able to keep up with the circuits.  Endurance is a challenge.  I need to work on improving that.  

I'm feeling good overall.  Eats are on target. My new thing is learning lots of different ways to prepare butternut squash.  I'm keeping myself amused, and am super busy with work, and for that I'm grateful.  

• Wow.  BFL... the ultimate foundation.  Today I was in a panic mode and without needing to think about it, when it was time, grabbed a BFL approved meal.  I used to only be able to do this on contest.  Now it's natural to me.  I'm feeling really proud of my journey.  

HIIT... I have a love hate with it.  I do love that it seems to help with my ADHD.  

All in all... plugging away.  

• I'm still plugging away, and for that I'm proud.  I took off the 4th, the day of the announcement.  I had a free day and also didn't go into the Box.  I've got this routine that grounds me where I go really early to this coffee shop I love (and order tea), and write in my journal for literally hours.  That night I had dinner with a great friend from this community.  

The next day... the 5th, back to my plan.  Today... on plan.  I'm proud of that!  

I'm improving at the gym, though still having trouble grasping some moves, but it's all a process.  

I'm also paying attention to the whole package as it relates to health, like sleep, breathing exercises, and mobility exercises, which is just a fancy way of saying stretching. 

• Hey Jessica, i sent you an email recently when I was feeling low. Not sure if you go it.

Anyway you are so deserving of bfl champion.

My success is your success.

• Thanks so much, Jeff.  I've answered you and am looking forward to seeing your journey unfold.  

• Jessica! Great progress!

Loved reading your other posts, but a portion of this one struck me: "I'm keeping myself amused..." I LOVE that!

So often, in our journey to accomplish something, the journey feels like work...then, it's not fun. Finding amusement is so important in making the journey fun...like kids running around on a playground. Thanks for sharing! :)

• Hey there Jess,

I've just read this entire thread and enjoyed every minute of it! You are so succinct in your vocabulary, which make the point you're making so clear and even when not making a point, but just rambling about food, workouts whatever, it reads so well, well does to my ears anyways, I wish I could write so eloquently.. :)

I liked Iwillgetfit's question on how you did so well this last challenge because I was going to ask you the same question. Thanks, you confirmed what I have been doing so far this challenge, although my LBWO needs a lot of attention as I'm too afraid of throwing my back out again which got me back in this awful state after giving up for 2 years..

I've just deleted the rest of my ramblings here because you've inspired me to start my own "accountability" thread, my bio was getting way too long anyways...... I'm hoping this will keep me coming back here, the truth is, the most enjoyable part of the past 5 years of my life was when I was active on these forums - giving and receiving help to strangers who I ended up loving more than some of my blood family... I had never inspired anyone in my life before I found BFL and a whole new me just came out from deep within my soul that I didn't even know was there.....I had never felt so grateful for the opportunity to discover that about me....

To be able to help and give support to the newbies that are at that awful place of "disgust" about themselves (like I was again 3 weeks ago) is so rewarding, it adds a passion to my life that is not there without it.....I want to stay connected here, it is my lifeline, it is my home, it was the birth of a new me that I want to find again....

Day one of the rest of my life begins here.....

Thanks for being the catalyst to these ponderings... I now know what I need to do to begin the "for life" transition.

((((upside down hugs))))

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

• @MinnieMom - Thank you.  haha.  I really do keep myself... and others amused.  I think it might be from the ADHD.  I'm adverse to boredom, so I learned to amuse myself with just about anything.  

How are you keeping yourself amused these days?  

• Debs... my upside down friend...

Are you easily entertained or am I that entertaining?  Wait... don't answer that!  

I find your writings very clear... and thank you for the compliment.  It also might be amusing to know that I had to Google, succinct.. so there... you taught me a new word.  

Remember that a 10 is your 10, so if you cannot do what you could a few challenges ago, but do your 10, then put it in the books.  I'm not nearly as versed on the physical portion as I am nutrition, but I know you have a whole network of people well able to help, should you need ideas on things to safely do.  

I think it's so powerful that you are so moved by the inspiration you provide to others.  What a beautiful thing to harness.  I just take issue with thinking you've never before inspired.  You'd be surprised my friend.  I'm sure you have.  You know what you need to do and doing your thread was a great idea.  I will be reading updates!  

The new you is still there... push her to come out more... help her realize her voice.  You have a voice!  

Then do it, my friend!  :)  We're all here for you.  

(((upside down hugs)))