5 months out and stuck

• I've been doing BFL for 5 months now with great success. I'm down 20 pounds from my start and I've added some visible muscle. I'm 5'11" and weighing in around 178 pounds, which is a decent place to be. My goal now is to cut the last bit of fat around the mid section, and I'd like to see those abs! I do seems to be stuck in a rut though, and unable to get the scale to budge. I started tracking calories and found that I'm eating less than 2000 a day. I suspect that isn't enough and that I may be inhibiting muscle growth. I've read online that sometimes it's a good idea to "pig-out" for a few weeks while working out to build up muscle and then, once the muscle is build up, cut back the calorie intake while continuing to work out. This would be great news because some days I feel like really beat and lacking in energy. It may be the case that I just need more time on the program too. Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice anyone could give, and thanks!
  • This is a great post. I am not where you are at now, but have been in the past. I look forward to reading and learning from the responses.

My only suggestion is mixing up your routine. You probably have already done that, but if you haven't try all new exercises, especially cardio.

• Hummm..sounds like you might want to try adding in other types of core workouts that double for your main muscle groups.  For the TOP dog, do more Dead Lifts.  It ignites your abs if done right. Also add in new ab routines, like hanging ab circles, hanging knee lifts.  Try weighted ab routines too.

Tis better to look UP in the mirror to be inspired than to look DOWN at the scale and lose your desire!! - SEM

• I definetly wouldn't "pig out".  It's possible that the scale isn't moving because you're gaining muscle and losing fat at the same rate.  If you're looking to add more muscle and get that 6 pack check out the two links below.

scoobysworkshop.com/.../shattering-weight-loss-plateaus

scoobysworkshop.com/advanced-fat-loss-carb-cycling

There's loads of other great info and calculators on this website, so check it out.

• You need to check this out too.  

scoobysworkshop.com/the-truth-about-abs

• Thanks everyone, this is helpful.  I have mixed up my routine, but only lately, so maybe I just need some more time.  Here's something interesting I discovered:  I went back and traced my weight loss over the first 3 months of the program and charted it...hoping to find a pattern....the weird thing I discovered was that a substantial and sustained dip in weight almost always happened after a free day.  It's almost like you have to tell your body it's not starving so it will continue to burn fat.  I guess the problem I'm having now is that my body doesn't believe me anymore!  Thanks again.

• what you are experiencing is water fluctuation. every gram of carb holds 3 grams of water. So when you eat a lot of carbs your weight can go up and then after a day or two it drops back down. Are you still dropping fat or has fat loss stalled?