Mighty Max's Evolution... & Accountability Thread

• This thread is part of my plan to keep accountable, and continue this amazing journey. 

Just last week I finished my 3rd challenge.  There's inserted pictures from that effort, and the one before. 

My 1st BFL Challenge was in 2007, and about 1 month later I dealt with a massive personal tragedy.  I hit a pedestrian in a car accident, and the aftermath of that terrible day has forever changed me.  I was derailed for literally years, and then let those demons take over each time I tried to rise.  Ahhh, the evils of self-sabotage. 

My 2nd BFL Challenge was in 2011, and I think I did really well.  Actually, I did great, but sadly, my mind didn't match my newly minted body, and it was quicker than Flo Jo that I gained back all the weight, + tax.  I basically "white-knuckled" through the 12 weeks.  I had Champion physical results, but in reality, didn't "cross the abyss", which meant I wasn't a Champion.  Transformation is not with one thing in a vacuum.  Transformation is whole! 

Then I was actually so embarrassed that after that finish I needed another BFL Challenge that I avoided doing another BFL Challenge.  I was ashamed, and handled it by making it worse.

This 3rd BFL Challenge, as I said, finished last week, was a total self-reinvention.  I wanted a comeback, and comeback I did.  I believe in our ability to reinvent ourselves an unlimited number of times. This BFL Contest was different, very.  I worked on my inner transformation as much as, or even more than my physical, and I realized something HUGE.  My demons rise up when I'm taking steps in the right direction.  It's not that those steps are wrong, and I should fall back into my comfortable spot on the sofa, and eating take-out.  I need to tell those demons they aren't in charge, and the more I did that, the quieter they became.  Guess who has the power now? 

It should be noted this thread isn't about reinvention, though.  Now I'm looking to be accountable to myself, so there's never again another "before" picture, just continuations.  I've done the reinventing, and now it's time for evolving!

Contest 3

Contest 2

Weight: 144.4 to 122.2 - Body Fat: 33.9% to 23.1% - Waist: 34.75 to 31.25

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• The last workout of the challenge I just finished was on Monday September 16th.  I haven't been to the gym in the two weeks since.  I live in DC, so there's lots I can get to with my own two feet, and I've certainly been active with walking.  My body needed a rest, so that I could make a full recovery.  

Yesterday I did body weight exercises, with push-ups, air squats, and walking lunges.  

Tonight I am taking my first CrossFit class.  I'm doing an introduction class with four different local boxes, so that I can get a feel for if CrossFit is for me, and at which location.  

My post contest eating this time is totally different from after my last challenge.  I've also taken the time off from the eating plan, and had some indulgences, but within reason, and mindfulness.  I'm not eating to eat, nor as an emotional response, and when making main choices, like breakfast, am doing what I've always done, because there's no reason to eat poorly, because I "can".  Also... I've embraced the concept of "splurge worthy".  I went to Bourbon Steak with a good friend the Friday after my final pictures.  Did I indulge?  You bet I did.  I was offered dessert after my meal the other night, and it was something I like okay, but just okay, and don't love.  I declined.  My body is worth caring for.  I am worth the self care.  

• Jessica, You truly are an inspiration to me. Your transformations were/are incredible. Thank you for sharing. Please keep us updated :)

• Yes, I agree your transformations are very inspiring and show your true determination despite all your challenges during each challenge. Please keep us all updated on your progress and as always Keep Moving FOrward!!!

• @ChelseaIreland - Thank you!  What kind words.  Just remember that I followed the BFL formula.  You can do this, too!  It's simple, just not easy.  The sacrifices I made, though, were nothing in comparison to the life I was giving up when unfit.  

• Awww, thanks, @WPBill!  It's about picking yourself up again.  To be honest, the process was difficult for me, but totally worth it, because I'm worth it.  

• I took 2 weeks mostly off, and am now checking out local Crossfit boxes.  I am still a 100% supporter of BFL!  I'm doing something different for my training for a few months to change things up, learn some new skills, maybe make some like-minded friends, and just continue this journey to better health & fitness.  

Also... I'm taking cooking lessons, a present to myself, so I can learn to make a greater variety of healthy food.  

• Jessica,

You are an inspiring to me. I am in the journey of 1st challenge and 9 more days to go. Your story keeps me more motivated to continue this life style!

I was thinking if I should give up taking notes in this forum. Now you are setting a model that I should come back here frequently to check with the other members and stay on track.

• Jessica,

You have been an insperation to me and even with all your personal demons you are like the PHEONIX Rising from the ashes. You are on a new path as most of us who have done a challenege or 2 or 10. Waiting to hear about the Crossfit journey. I watched the Reebok fitis person in the world comp. They were show casing the women. I was in awe of them truly inspiring to watch. I would like to catch the men to compare the differences. What a way to trian. I to have deviated away from BFL workouts. I have moved into the realm of Kettlebell training. I do 2 sessions at work on my own then one in class session with an instructer. This is very recent like this week. I wouldn't have gotten this far if it wasn't for BFL and all the fine peeps I have met along the way. BFL is a great starting point for everyone. I like to change things up anf they say find a sport or activity you really like and go from there.

Hope to hear more can't wait. GO gettem.

• Little Elephant ~

That's one of the greatest compliments I've ever received!  Yes.  Come back.  Yes.  Stay on track.  

I'm sorry for the delay.  I went away on business, and have been trying to catch up.  Please share all about your completed challenge!  I can't wait to get the details.  

I've found that when I leave the community, it results in a reversion, at least for me, to who I was, and remaining focused, and this community is part of that focus, is a reminder of WHO I AM.  

• Claude!

My Dad calls me the Phoenix, so your post just warmed me all over.  

You know... at first I was hesitant to share about CrossFit, because I never want to distract people from their BFL goals, or imply in anyway whatsoever that I don't support the BFL program, but then I realized that BFL isn't about BFL in those strict terms.  BFL is about health, personal power, fitness, and being your best you.  

As many know, I believe in a "by the book" BFL challenge, but that doesn't mean that we can't use the foundation of BFL during non contest time to explore other things.  

I so understand what you mean by you wouldn't be with your next step if not for BFL.  I'm the same.  And "next step" for us isn't better than BFL, just something a little different, to keep it interesting.  

I'm excited to hear more about your classes.  

The more we know...

Jess

• CrossFit is hard, if I may whine for a moment, though it's a great experience for me.  I'm learning a lot more about flexibility, stability, balance, how to do more moves, and how to really think about my movements, physiologically.  I think I'll do another BFL Challenge, starting in December, with the goal of 12% body fat.  Right now I'm benefiting from this, a different type of program, one I could have never embraced without BFL.  I'm loving fitness!  

• Sorry there's been a delay.  I went away for a while and have been focused intensely on some work things, as well as working out.  Right now I'm working on things that might seem trite, but the details matter.  I have trouble with different grips, for instance.  My wrists really hurt when gripping underhanded, so I'm working on rounding out my ability to go to the gym and bang out lots of different types of things.  I'm also focused on things like burpees so that I can improve my coordination, while doing aerobic, anaerobic, and strength training at once.  

• Musings to myself...

I'm deciding between signing up for CrossFit, or putting that off, and continuing doing what I know, using my current gym membership.  It's cost prohibitive to belong to both gyms.  My current contract job isn't that stable, so the $249/month cost for CF is a factor, against the $94/month for my regular gym membership.  I need to really consider all factors.  

Last week I did not workout, and genuinely could not, which is so rare.  I had a terrible chest cold that was bad enough that it was flu level.  I could not catch my breath.  It would have also been unfair of me to have gone to the gym in that condition.  The body aches are over. The headache is really low now, as opposed to the back of my head pounding, and the coughing is much less.  My throat was really sore, and then raw, and now just a bit dry.  I'm still congested, but now I just seem to have a cold, which is way different.  

Anyway, if I feel well tomorrow, I've got a CrossFit workout planned, and then a sit-down with the coaches.  I passed Elements.  I'm working on making a shelf with my elbows.  It doesn't come naturally to me.  I don't know why.  It's been very humbling, because I'm just having a hard time picking up the skills.  

Oh well.  That's life... new challenges.  

• Today I did my 1st CrossFit group class.  Before today I was doing Elements, where they teach you the foundations necessary to safely perform the basic movements.  It went well today, though I admit that I am at the lowest weights, and the workout needed scaling for me.  You know what?  That's okay.  I was humbled, though not embarrassed.  I am taking the class because I want to learn something and improve.  It's my nature to want to be the best, and sometimes not immediately being the best has caused me to give up.  I plan on continuing!  

There's 2 weeks left on my Elements membership to decide if I'm signing up for more months.