Gladiators - Back in the Arena

• Hi Everyone!

Happy Memorial Day and Thank you to all Vets. and Men and Women who are serving.

Sorry I have been gone for so long. There is no way I can catch up with all the post that everyone has sent. BUT do want to say thank you for thinking of me and your prayers.

I have slowly been doing exercises in my guest bedroom using ankle weights and some dumbbells 3 and 5 pounds and I have a barbell that has about 10 pounds on that. I am using the bed to lay on to do most of my exercises.  My progress is very slow because of my foot. But I am still in my 2nd Challenge at week 4.  The bad part of this whole foot thing is that my foot just got infected where the pin is. So I have to call the doctor tomorrow and see what there going to do about that.  The pin is suppose to come out Jun. 3rd and I was hoping on going back to the pool to get going on C2.

I hope that everyone is doing ok and doing all there workouts. I haven't missed a workout yet, but it is sure a pain doing it the way I do them. What ever works right...

Oh and Justin I still haven't figured out how to get my photo's up. I couldn't figure out what you were telling me where to go. I don't know about where those ICons are. I was thinking of sending them to someone here, so they could do it. I guess I just will have to call BFL and ask them. I feel so dumb...but i will handle it.

Hope your all doing okay and all is good, miss you all.

Laurie

• Good morning everyone!  I decided on Thursday that I'd take a day of vacation Friday and go fishing at the lake with a buddy of mine that was in from Virginia for the weekend.  So....  I went back to the gym Thursday night and did my LBWO so that I wouldn't miss it on Friday.  I was able to use the same weight that I had used on the previous LBWO despite having ran 4.2 miles during my cardio session that morning.  It was rough to get it done with only 9hrs recovery time, but I got it done.  My gym was closed for the holiday weekend, so I got back in there and did my UBWO this morning.  It was a pretty good one.......

Oh....  And my diet was crappy all weekend.  I need to focus on it and get back on track!

• LBWO this morning was a good one.  I felt bad for missing Monday due to the holiday so I did 20 minutes of cardio after my leg routine was over.  It wasn't a HIIT session since I want to make sure I'm recovered for tomorrow, but I burned some extra calories anyway.

• Howdy, foks!  Hope everyone is hanging in there.  We're still here plugging away after our little break last week.  Not too much to report, though.  This time it's about stamina more than anything else.  Just trying to hang in there and keep going is a full time job.  Consistency is key and all that.  I'm going to read the book again and try to get re-motivated since I really think your attitude plays a huge part in how well you do.  Justin is always fired up!  I wanna be that guy ;).

Laurie, it's great to hear from you!  Way to keep going with those workouts.  That's amazing!  

I'm having a rough month because of a number of things, not the least of which is being ripped off 5300.00 by my roofer.  Now I have sue him, and I"m not looking forward to that, and it's unlikely I"ll ever collect.  Plus, I still need a roof and now I don't have the insurance money to get it done.  Now I have that trip coming up at the end of June to get my daughter, and I'm  trying to make sure we have money (credit) for that.  It's amazing how fast you can get into a hole you have a hard time digging yourself out of.  I will, but it'll take some doing and some focus, both of which are hard due to spreading myself so thin.

Sorry for the downer, but after I read Bill's book again, I'll be back fired up and mentally on track!

XO

Melissa

• You're right Melissa... attitude is EVERYTHING!  Justin's fired up because he's having fun.  It makes all the difference in the world.  Try to find some way to make this enjoyable and not a chore, and you'll have that same excitement!

Keep it up!

• Had a great cardio session this morning.  Didn't quite hit the 700 calorie mark in 30 minutes, but I gave it all I had and got a little closer!

Melissa- LET'S GET FIRED UP AND KILL THIS CHALLENGE!!  You can do it!!!!!!!!

Kat- Have you started back yet?  You need to check in with us.

Laurie- It sounds like you're doing all you can do.  Be proud about that!

Amy- I know it sucks to be super busy with work and stuff, but keep in touch.

JR- You're right.  I love doing these challenges and every time I walk into the gym I try to one up myself from the previous workout.  There's nothing that feels as good as making quick progress and doing what you thought was going to be impossible a short time ago.

• Nice LBWO today......  My legs are sore already, and it's making me dread the stair machine tomorrow morning!  I have started doing extra sets on calves and abs to get them burning.  

Had a great weekend.  I came home Friday after work and saw my son walk!  Not only that, but then he started climbing on stuff!  He scares me.....  He's turning 1 tomorrow, so I'll be taking a half day of vacation to help prepare for his birthday party.  

Also, I thought I had a nice tan going because I have been going sleevless/shirtless and shorts with flip flops when possible, but it is all peeling off.  My daughter asked me what was wrong with my arms yesterday and I told her that my arms are growing so fast that they have to shed their skin like snakes now.  She said eeewwww.......

Everyone- Where are you?!?!?  Don't be shy!!

• Hello everyone, and especially Justin LOL...congrats on your baby's milestone! YOu must be so stoked!

Well, just had a new modem put in by AT&T.  They tricked me into the new u-verse setup, but didn't tell me it would result in having NO INTERNET until they installed it because they upgraded the signal.  Anyway, it's probably for the best because I have not been on the ball.  I think Steve has completely lost his drive on it, and I've been trying not to let that derail the whole thing, but as of yesterday, I've missed Saturday's and Monday's workout.  I was going to go ahead and do lower body last night, but it was already 9:00, and I decided it would cause too much sleep disruption; however, the joke was on me...my sleep was disrupted anyway.  So I'm trying to decide whether to just go with my cardio today, or go for the lower body workout and just get to upper body tomorrow instead of throwing my lifting schedule completely off.

Like JR said, so much of it is attitude, so I really need to refocus.  I've brought out my book again, and I want to get my head back in the game, but it's hard with that trip coming up in June when I go up and pick up my daughter from my ex and his new family.  Ugh.

I don't want our little group to die, though, so I will refocus and be back with words of wisdom and encouragement tomorrow!!!

XO

Melissa

• Melissa- I'm glad you're back on here!!!  Maybe Steve will come back around if you continue.  I definetly don't want our group to die either, but it feels like it's on it's last leg here........  Lets get pumped up again!!

If there is anyone else out there that's reading feel free to chime in!  We need people to bring some energy!  

• Hey everybody!

I am in week 2. Its been weird. I was not as dilligent about writing down my meals and I missed two of my wightlifting workouts. I was embarrassed to say so, but now I am like "omg get serious". I was riding my bike A LOT and I felt so much skinnier. I felt like I just wanted to do that more. But then there was a bunch of rain and I was anxious about going back to the gym again like I was in the beginning. So it was a reality check. I got back on track today and feel better. I know a big part of it is that I am not feeling completely embarrassed about my weight, so some of the pressure is off. But I know that this is what I want to do and I must stay focused.

• Hi you guys,

I am still hanging in there and I am really happy you all are still here too. I sure wish everyone would come back soon.

I had to go back into see the doctor last week cause my foot got infected where the pin was. Well it took 2 days for them to call me. I couldn't believe that, but the doctor pulled the pin out. I thought he was going to num my foot, no way, he just took a thing like a pliers and yanked it out. I screamed like h---. Man did that hurt. My husband  was really ticked off as well as me at that d---doctor. Any way, I hurt all the rest of the week and couldn't walk much. I was able to wear slippers cause I can't get shoes on yet and that feels good. I missed a week and Monday, today, so maybe I will try to workout tomorrow. I was able to get the doctor to let me go back into the pool and I picked up a heavy box and it slipped right out of my hands, scrapped my leg from the knee to the foot. Missing my sore foot. blood all over my leg. So no pool yet. Where did my good luck go...??   What a long slow C2 this has been.

Well I am so happy that everyone is still here, who is here. I am not going to put all your names down, but just want to tell you all, to hang in there and keep going. Remember "When the going gets tough, the tough get going" or something like that.LOL

I'll tell you guys, I am going to be here for another C3 when the time comes, you aren't going to see me give up and I want to see all of you keep going on with me. YOU ALL CAN DO THIS!!!!

Love ya,

Laurie

I'm still working on getting my C1 photo's up :0)

• Did my shred (cardio) yesterday instead of lower body, but I hit the lower body part hard and I'm really sore today!!!  She does lots and lots of lunges (pendulum lunges in the level 2 one like I did last night, and some deep stationary lunges with rows.)  By then end of it, your legs are burning, your arms are burning, and the whole time your heart is pumping and you think you're gonna die! lol...but during the abs section you get enough break to catch your breath.  I still want to add some pull-ups/chin-ups to my upper body workout.  Since I don't have access to a pull down machine, it's the only way I can think to get a good back workout at home.  The rows don't really cut it for me, and those overhead back extensions bind me up so bad I can't seem to get them to work right!  Finally losing those darn back flaps, though!!  They've really been difficult to get rid of.  They aren't yet completely gone, but they are almost now...which means I'm still losing a good amount of fat.  Stubborn abdomen, though.  It seems to be telling me it wants to be the very last to go.  Still, when it does, there's going to be some wicked muscle there.

OMG Laurie, sorry about all the trouble!  If it isn't one thing, it's another.  I can't believe they didn't numb your foot!!  You're a strong person, I would probably still be crying.  Like you, I plan to keep on with the lifestyle myself, for good.  Gotta make sure that i stay consistent!  That's the one crucial thing.

I know, Caity! Isn't it so weird how your mind starts to wander? That didn't ever happen in my first challenge.  I was embarrassed, too, and then I thought, "other people must be going through similar stuff".  I know it's just a mental thing, but I really want to work past it and get back on track.  It may be that the shred is too much for cardio and it's keeping me worn out.  I may have to alternate it with biking or running every other time.  I don't want to quit it entirely because it gives me such strength for day to day movements and tasks, and keeps me loose for my lifting.  

Well, that's my report for today!  Feeling stoked about my workout this evening...working on that mental muscle!

Melissa

• Did my shred (cardio) yesterday instead of lower body, but I hit the lower body part hard and I'm really sore today!!!  She does lots and lots of lunges (pendulum lunges in the level 2 one like I did last night, and some deep stationary lunges with rows.)  By then end of it, your legs are burning, your arms are burning, and the whole time your heart is pumping and you think you're gonna die! lol...but during the abs section you get enough break to catch your breath.  I still want to add some pull-ups/chin-ups to my upper body workout.  Since I don't have access to a pull down machine, it's the only way I can think to get a good back workout at home.  The rows don't really cut it for me, and those overhead back extensions bind me up so bad I can't seem to get them to work right!  Finally losing those darn back flaps, though!!  They've really been difficult to get rid of.  They aren't yet completely gone, but they are almost now...which means I'm still losing a good amount of fat.  Stubborn abdomen, though.  It seems to be telling me it wants to be the very last to go.  Still, when it does, there's going to be some wicked muscle there.

OMG Laurie, sorry about all the trouble!  If it isn't one thing, it's another.  I can't believe they didn't numb your foot!!  You're a strong person, I would probably still be crying.  Like you, I plan to keep on with the lifestyle myself, for good.  Gotta make sure that i stay consistent!  That's the one crucial thing.

I know, Caity! Isn't it so weird how your mind starts to wander? That didn't ever happen in my first challenge.  I was embarrassed, too, and then I thought, "other people must be going through similar stuff".  I know it's just a mental thing, but I really want to work past it and get back on track.  It may be that the shred is too much for cardio and it's keeping me worn out.  I may have to alternate it with biking or running every other time.  I don't want to quit it entirely because it gives me such strength for day to day movements and tasks, and keeps me loose for my lifting.  

Well, that's my report for today!  Feeling stoked about my workout this evening...working on that mental muscle!

Melissa

• Caity- I'll admit that my diet hasn't been as strict this time around and I need to get it in check, but we're looking at a whole lifestyle change here and we're going to have highs and lows.  We just need to stay pumped about getting the workouts in and if as long as we're doing that we'll be consious of what we're eating and burning and know when to make corrections.  I know I feel bad when I do great during a cardio session and then blow my diet later in the day.  As long as I'm aware of that it makes me not want to mess up next time.  Just don't give up on yourself.  You've come a long way and owe it to yourself to continue!

Laurie- OMG you've had a rough time lately, but I love your attitude.  I'll be here through C3 and on and on too!  I sure hope that you are heled up soon and find out how to post some pics!  It'd be great to put a face with your name.  Just be careful not do do to much at one time and make things worse.  

Melissa-  I'm glad you're back in the saddle and with us.  You can probably find a pullup tower on Craigs list pretty cheap and they have these things made of bands that help you do pullups until you have the strength to do them on your own.  www.walmart.com/.../21666159

If you need to switch back and forth from bike to cardio dvd that's fine.  As long as you're doing something you're bettering yourself.

• Found a video for that pullup thingy: http://youtu.be/rJOuXfaJ_yg   (sorry I don't know how to link the text!)

Justin we got the opposite thing going on. My diet has been rather lean, and I think my ability to exercise is compromised! It is a budget issue as of right now. My husband Ryan and I have been very strict with paying off debt and are almost done. But we had some big things to pay on this check....so I am out of my shakes and bars. Those made up 2 of my meals everyday, so I have been short 2 meals lately. The pantry should be back in order within the next week or so though. When I burned a million calories during the long bike rides, I felt freakin starving. And I used the my fitness pal thing a few times, and it said I not only could eat more calories, but that I should. I am strict about adding the extra calories with helpful food choices. Tilapia has been a home run for that. It has SO much protein for 100 calories. So after a huge calorie burning session, I would have like 4 tilapias. And I found a way to cook them that tastes like it came from a freakin restaurant. I will put it on here, maybe as a separate thread so other people will see it. I used to just be so grossed out by tilapia, but I figured out what made it nasty and fixed it.

Melissa~ Oh boy, I read what you said about having to see the ex and his new SO. Man, those are the situations where I don't even want to show my face if I am not looking fabulous....and the stress can drive me nuts and make the gym feel like climbing mount Everest. I don't have kids with an ex, so I can not give you that personal strength. But I really hope that no matter how your body looks, your inner strength and beauty will be what people see first. You have always made me feel really glad to post here, you always acknowledge me and other people, and you handle your daily life with much grace. Don't forget that! And I always feel good around someone with a real genuine, loving, self assured smile. No matter how skinny or fat someone might be, a true look of peace speaks volumes over a stressful grimace. So Don't worry about trying to look "hot" so the ex doesn't think you're a dumpy loser (like I would totally be worried about, not that you said that) but if you keep doing this thing, getting in the good meals and working out as best you can, your self esteem will award you that peace. At least it does for me when I am around people who make me nervous or who intimidate me.

And I am glad you are getting back into the grove along side me. I am really truly thankful that you stick around and post here!

Other peeps....glad you are here! Sorry I am in the rich format and can't go back and read your names. That foot injury sounds awful, I had a friend a while ago with infection/complications after breaking his foot from a fall. Be sure to read that after care very carefully and follow it to the letter! Maybe if you have a friend who is an RN they can help. I had a very involved surgery several years ago, and if it wasn't for the help I got from my mom (both my parents are RNs)....oh boy don't even want to think about it. But yea anytime you have a foreign object, like the pins they put in your foot, it is extremely important to keep an eye out for any sign of infection. Its common knowledge that the body will try to reject it, like with piercings, but when its on the inside of you.....oh boy just make sure to be very picky and see the doctor if you have any concern. My friend had a problem with painkillers and was negligent with the aftercare, partially because he could get more drugs if it didn't heal as quick. Annnd he almost lost his foot. So that's the reason I know anything about it and how bad it can be from just mild negligence (whether intentional or not). So seriously I wish you the best speedy safe recovery from that injury!