Active Rest Serendipity

• Just finished a 12-week challenge, which has turned out to be unofficial since I did not have my pictures taken and lost my before stats. But I completed it anyway and never missed a workout.

Since the challenge was unofficial I was not keeping really close tabs on what week it was, and began fretting about some things coming up next week that would be quite disruptive to a challenge. Since I knew I was getting close, I counted weeks and found to my great relief that next week would be active rest.

Today, free day, happens to be my birthday, which is good news in itself. But in addition:

• Monday I will be out of town putting my eldest daughter back on a plane to Vietnam
    • Wednesday I am on a clear liquid diet in preparation for
    • Thursday when I am having that pesky 50-year-old procedure

As you can see active rest could not have come at a better time.

Enjoy the holiday weekend. I plan to!

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• SARALYNN- happy birthday to you!!!! I'm so proud of you for completing the challenge. In part, I am doing this challenge (in my 6th week) to lay a sort of foundation for the years ahead. I am 44 but when I'm 50....I call that middle age.....I want to be super healthy and fit and active and looking forward to 50 + more years of good things. So good luck with that procedure- my mom always said it was no big deal....And can you explain a little what you do during "active rest" after a challenge?

• Saralynn,

Happy birthday and congrats. Today is my mother's birthday too. :P

Come visit my blog!

http://fittrac.blogspot.com

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you'll be right!

• Happy Birthday to you!  And, congrats on completing another challenge.  Way to live and breathe the BFL life.  Enjoy your time off and be ready to hit it again when your AR period is over.  Yuck on Wednesday prep...I had to do that before I had my ovary and appendix removed a few years ago..so not fun.  Have a lot of magazines handy and a cushy toilet seat (ha)...good luck with that.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• Thanks, everyone, for the birthday wishes.

Diane33, I see active rest as a period during which I continue to follow BFL diet principles, but suspend intense BFL workouts. I am generally pretty tired by the end of a 12-week challenge, and find a lighter schedule to be reinvigorating. I expect that Monday evening (once I'm home from St. Louis), Tuesday and possibly Friday I will be doing something, such as taking the dog for a long walk. I think after a week, though, I'll be ready to undertake a new challenge. Two weeks might be too long and I'm afraid I might lose momentum.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• Sorry I missed wishing you a Happy Birthday , but I hope it was great and that the pesky procedure went well for you.  I am now in AR and was checking this thread for advice now that I am in that realm again.  BDMOM suggested some light cardio for the next two weeks and  I did that yesterday with swimming and a short up and down type stair stepper machine workout. Still taking my supps and vitamins though  because of all the flu candidates around that I work around down here.

• Thanks, WPBill, my birthday was happy - and pesky is certainly the right adjective for that procedure. Now that it is over I will start wishing for a better prep to be developed before next time.

Meanwhile, I am two weeks into a new challenge. I have decided to quit wheat October 1. I feel as though I am working out good and hard, but not seeing results, so I'm thinking my diet needs tweaking.

Hope you have a restful AR period and stay away from the flu.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.