This is all new for me!!! Any Suggestions would be great

• Ok. So today is day one for my BFL challenge. I would like to get advice from those of you who have experienced results from this program before. I mean, i read all the stories of before and after, but you always question..or i do at least.

My only fear is, i dont plan on drinking any of the shakes that are recommended. I am going to just do my meals accordingly and try my best. I have read the BFL book and i am making a booklet today for me to record everything in.

I am planning on losing 26 lbs in the next 84 days. I am going to do it. I have changed my mind set from, i hope to do it, to I AM GOING TO DO IT! I plan to work hard and follow this plan. Wish me luck.

If i have any questions, do i just go on here and start a new thread? or is there a private message thing that you can use to talk back and forth to another member for support? Trying to figure all of this out. I will keep you all posted.

I am 4"11/ Female/ and currently 176 lbs...yikes.....thats why i am here. Again, wish me luck!!

• Good morning Fizz709.  Best of luck on your journey.  I just finished my first work our this morning, however, this is my second challenge.  I did successfully complete the first one 2 years ago and I learned a lot over those 12 weeks.  First thing I will tell you is that YOU CAN DO THIS!  You have a great attitude and are focused on the right things.  For me personally the online community was a huge help and you have a large number of fellow body for lifers that are right with you in the process starting today.  So we are here for you!  

One other thing to remember is that life happens.  You need to remember to do the best today and plan for tomorrow.  Things happen and you may miss a workout or not have the most clean eating day, no worries, do better tomorrow.  Don’t let a slip end your journey.  Stay strong and focused and you will be rewarded in the end.

Best of luck to you and I cant wait to hear how things go for you.

• Hi andys14 and fizz709. I too started my BFL day one today. Did my upper body workout today! So far so good. We had a mega snowmeggadon today in my part of the country so I was unable to make it to the gym. I have a home gym so I just did my routine at home. I am pumped. I think the hardest but the most important thing for me is going to be the planning. I did what Bill Phillips suggested and planned everything for the week ahead on Sunday afternoon. Then everyday before bedtime I make sure I have everything planned out for the next day....ie: gym clothes, meals, etc. So far its working :)

good luck you guys!! Hope to keep in touch to stay on track.

• I too have done up a binder for the next 12 weeks. I have 84 days there. I have a daily progress report then a eating for life method sheet. I plan to fill each sheet out the night before on what i plan to eat and my workout routine. I have it all laid out properly, day one is  upper, day 2 aerobic, day three lower, day 4 aerobic, day 5 upper, day 6 aerobic and day 7 a free day. I even wrote little motivational speaches in there for myself for when i get to the end of each week. I have never stuck with anything before for longer than 2 1/2 weeks, i always do good, and feel good, but then just quit on myself. I have three beautiful children and a loving husband, they need me to be the best i can be. And being 60 lbs over weight isnt allowing me to do that. My down fall is overeating as in portion control, eating the wrong foods, and drinking booze!!. I plan to lay off the drinking, i dont plan to eliminate it completely, because i enjoy a night out, but instead of one night a week, i will tone it down to one night a month. I know i can do this, and i will do this for me, my husband and my children. I deserve this. I am a hard working woman and am always doing for others,  I never take time to do anything for myself. But that stops here. I am making this change. I would be happy with an over all weight of 140 lbs, even though my ideal weigh is 120. But i am not making my goal to be 36 lbs in the next 84 days. I am though, hitting for 150 lbs. that would be a loss of 26 lbs in 84 days, and i think that is attainable. My only fear is...i have  a treadmill and eliptical, and stationary bike. I have a home gym, but it only has the bar that lifts my legs, not the push of the legs. I am wondering how i am going to work the lower body properly.

Does everyone follow the upper and lower routine? Does anyone just work there but off and call it a good work out and the plan works that way? Or should i stick to what is recommended in the book? Any suggestions?

• Work your lower body properly by incorporating walking lunges, squats, donkey kick backs, etc.  Body weight exercises are a great workout!  Good luck!

• Fizz I love your positive attitude it makes me so much more focused hearing how zoned in your are.

Let's do this :)

• Good afternoon, Fizz709. I too started my 12 week challenge today. Look like there's a lot of people here who are looking to fulfill their New Year's Resolutions. I first want to wish you the best of luck on your challenge. You can do it!

If you don't plan on using the Myoplex shakes, that's perfectly fine, but I do recommend them. My reason is that you may be in situations where you're stuck in the middle of something where you don't have access to a microwave to heat your food, a task at work that needs your full attention, traveling via plane, or you simply forgot to make a meal, the Myoplex shakes and quick, simple to make (water and a shaker cup), and delicious. They make good meal repalcements and good post workout drinks. I bought my through bodybuilding.com. they prices they have for their supplements are great. So if you do plan using Myoplex, it's best that you use Myoplex Lite. The Champions and Challengers edition of the Body for Life book says that's its the best kind for women.

Another recommendation I have is that if you're working out at a gym, the best way to move through your workouts is to have your last set of your workouts be with dumbbells. For example, if you're doing a barbell bench press and you've just finished you're last set (12 reps at a 9 high point) and you plan to do dumbbell flys (12 rep at a 10 high point, have the dumbbells that you plan on using right by you so you can pick them up once you're done with the barbell bench press.

Hope that was helpful and once again, best of luck on your challenge. Take one day at a time and believe in yourself.    

• thanks for the advice. I am going to try it without the shakes and see how it goes. Its hard eating six times a day though. I kinda feel like the 6th one is not necessary. I mean if your not hungry and its evening...do you really need to have that small meal? wouldnt it be better to just skip those calories? or would i be ruining it if i done that?Anyone that has done this before,please share your advice. Also...sorry for all the questions, but im just learning. I worked my upper body tonight, it only took me 31mins as opposed to 46 which was what the book stated. Should i be concerned? i felt bad and then walked on the treadmill for 20mins lol. dont want to not do enough and dont want to eat too much..but dont want to ruin anything either.

Would it be ok if i did my workouts as recommended but also walked on the tread mill 30mins each day besides? or is that not giving my muscles time to rest and grow?Gosh there is so much to learn. I just want to do it right this time. Please help..

• Thanks. I hope that i stay zoned in. Nevermind the hope part..i plan to stay zoned in :)

• How long have you been doing this for? Are you seeing results?

• Hey. Good Luck to you too. Please keep in touch and let me know how you are doing with it?

• Congratulations on starting Fizz. You are about to change your life. Here are my tips.

1. Weigh yourself no more than once a week: Too many people get discouraged by the scale. There are many different reasons why your body weight naturally fluctuates. If you step on the scale at the wrong time you might think all your hard work isn't paying off. Even if you weigh yourself just once a week, you may weigh more than the previous week because you gained muscle. Judge your progress by how you feel and how your clothes fit --- Not the scale!  

Many have been featured for their transformation who achieved about a 20 lb overall weight loss. This means they averaged about 2 lbs of fat loss a week while gaining a half pound of muscle. These small changes each week turned into dramatic results. You can do the same.

2. Expect and embrace obstacles: It is virtually impossible to go 12 weeks without obstacles. There will be days when you feel like you failed. Don’t let them get you down. Just get back at it the next day. There is no such thing as perfection, only progress.

3. Eat if you’re hungry: This is not a diet. Keep healthy foods around for snacking. My refrigerator is stocked with cut carrots and celery. I also have apples and baby tomatoes on hand, plus a garden that I pick stuff from almost every day. I never feel guilty about eating any of this.

4. Eat the shakes or bars: You get them for about $1 a piece on Amazon. Three dollars a day on meal replacement is a lot cheaper than any other source of food for those three meals and they will help you get the protein you needed. I prefer the pre-made shakes. They are a little more expensive, Amazon Prime offers an additional discount for signing up for regular shipments and the shipping is free.

5. Stay active in the forum: This will give you accountability. Post daily a paragraph or two about how your day went and be honest. Then take the time to give encouragement to at least one other person. Finally, post a weekly progress picture.

6. Stick to the plan: There is great temptation to do more than the plan. You will find yourself saying that those who achieved the results I want had to have done more. Not true! There is no reason to re-invent the wheel. Just stick to the plan.

• Love all your questions fizz! I had similar questions as well. As for the shakes...I hadnt planned on them either. My husband and I are both doing this together and im afraid they just arent in our food hill budget. I have been looking for snack ideas that are quick. Perhaps something that doesn't have to be refrigerated so I can stock up my office with some things. Its going to take some time to get this down but we can do it. I am so anxious to start

rt. Getting over a stomach bug at the moment and not quite feeling ready to give it my all just yet. Soon though.  Very soon:-)

• "I too have done up a binder for the next 12 weeks. I have 84 days there. I have a daily progress report then a eating for life method sheet. I plan to fill each sheet out the night before on what i plan to eat and my workout routine. I have it all laid out properly, day one is  upper, day 2 aerobic, day three lower, day 4 aerobic, day 5 upper, day 6 aerobic and day 7 a free day. I even wrote little motivational speaches in there for myself for when i get to the end of each week. I have never stuck with anything before for longer than 2 1/2 weeks, i always do good, and feel good, but then just quit on myself. I have three beautiful children and a loving husband, they need me to be the best i can be. And being 60 lbs over weight isnt allowing me to do that. My down fall is overeating as in portion control, eating the wrong foods, and drinking booze!!. I plan to lay off the drinking, i dont plan to eliminate it completely, because i enjoy a night out, but instead of one night a week, i will tone it down to one night a month. I know i can do this, and i will do this for me, my husband and my children. I deserve this. I am a hard working woman and am always doing for others,  I never take time to do anything for myself. But that stops here. I am making this change. I would be happy with an over all weight of 140 lbs, even though my ideal weigh is 120. But i am not making my goal to be 36 lbs in the next 84 days. I am though, hitting for 150 lbs. that would be a loss of 26 lbs in 84 days, and i think that is attainable. My only fear is...i have  a treadmill and eliptical, and stationary bike. I have a home gym, but it only has the bar that lifts my legs, not the push of the legs. I am wondering how i am going to work the lower body properly.

Does everyone follow the upper and lower routine? Does anyone just work there but off and call it a good work out and the plan works that way? Or should i stick to what is recommended in the book? Any suggestions?"

I think you are awesome!! I also made a notebook and it is so precious to me that I can look at it and see what I did every one of those 84 life-changing days. I too hadn't really stuck with many things for longer than a couple weeks, and I can't tell you how rewarding it was for me personally to actually start and finish something so great. That alone will change you. I made a video about how to make a notebook with all the worksheets, I can put it here for anyone who wants to see. This was from March 2013 and I was really dorky and awkward in my videos back then!!! Another advantage to doing this thing: improved confidence, LOL.

You are doing so many great things already, recognizing your pattern and obstacles is a great way to be prepared!! It even said in the book to recognize those things, so seriously good for you. I had similar obstacles and they are SO common for everyone. Eating a larger portion than we need and eating calorie dense food: congratulations, you're human! lol but seriously, those are urges that anything with a mouth and a stomach will feel because it is good for survival. But we can use our brain to rationalize our decisions and that can work for or against our ambitions. Like I can rationalize skipping the gym or eating something bad, telling myself that I will go later or skip another meal to make up for it. But deep down I know for me it is a slippery slope to mess around like that, so I avoid that behavior by practicing discipline and being honest with myself. Alternatively, I can rationalize the hunger I feel and know that I am not starving just because my tummy seems empty. I would feel empty an hour after I ate, which was not unusual because my body was used to digesting larger portions. It adjusted AFTER I made the change, not before. So I used my rational mind to tell myself that feeling a little hungry an hour after eating was not going to make me faint. It did not take long for me to feel awesome and energized throughout the day, and that was what made me stick to the plan. You have to get a little uncomfortable, sometimes a lot uncomfortable, in order to truly change. Remember that if nothing else.

The workouts: I did them exactly like it said. I brought my worksheets to the gym on a clipboard and wrote it all down. I was sooo afraid that people would get annoyed at me for my routine and look at my worksheet thinking I was a newbie who wouldn't last. I really felt so embarrassed about all that. But what really happened was that people would look at my paper and kind of nod, as if they were thinking "good for her". Even more awesome was that I was a regular and people noticed the change. Some people did a double take, like "omg is that the same person?!"

I was really afraid of people and what they would think of me, especially in a vulnerable place such as the gym. I really didn't like how being on some machines would have my massive booty on display, or that I sweat so much, or that my face got so red and I was so out of breath. Those things truly brought up some really unpleasant feelings in me. But what I was more afraid of than all that was how I would feel if I gave up. I really looked at it like, "If I don't do this, I am going to do nothing and eat more while thinking about starting again. I will think about how I couldn't finish and it will feel even HARDER than it does now." That was the regular thought process that kept me in the gym, that kept me eating the right things at the right times in the right portions. I crossed the abyss once I had done the things I never thought I could do, when I saw it was actually possible for ME despite how hard it felt. I was soooo not the former athlete who let themselves go. I had no past experience to rely upon, other than giving up and gaining more weight. For me, seeing was believing and I just wanted to see myself do something like this so badly.

I saw and felt changes, I knew it was working. I took pictures every week and personally chose to post them publicly because I knew I couldn't be the only one who wanted to see more progress pictures by other women who started out big. I would look at progress pics and just think, "jeez! I have never had a body like her 'before', let alone her 'after'!!" At that time, I also saw quite a few posts by people saying they followed the plan 100% and had absolutely no progress. I really think that the only reason a person would see zero progress after 2 months is because they weren't following the plan correctly, even a hormone or thyroid problem isn't going to change the fact that burning more calories than you eat makes you lose at least some weight over time. It made me sad that such a message could discourage new people. So I posted pics every week and was determined to balance out the negativity. In moments of weakness I did not want to do this thing for myself. I absolutely wanted to quit more than once. But in those moments I did it for others who could benefit from seeing and believing in my progress. You said that you are a hardworking woman and always doing things for others, and that can really help you get motivation in those moments of wanting to quit. Playing with your children can be a huge reminder of why you want to do this for others. I even posted on Facebook after I saw real progress, and the number of private messages I got thanking me for sharing were like, whoa I can't quit now! And guess what....one of those people went and lost 50 lbs this year after seeing what I did. That was a huge reason why I never quit being healthy after I finished my challenge.

Back to the gym....you can work your lower body with dumbbells. If you need to make an addition to your home gym, there are some really affordable options of dumbbell sets, starting at $14 new. They may not be fancy, but it is compact and available on a budget. I got a set of handles where you take on and off different weight plates for that price. It was better than machines anyway because it was harder and targeted more muscle groups. The book gives lots of examples and there are visuals on this website that show the exercises in motion. Also, with the cardio it is best to have the worksheet and follow the intensity guide minute by minute. I know it is tempting to just bust out a strong 20 minute session, or do 40 minutes of moderate intensity instead, but it is nothing like the HIIT that the program outlines. Finding your 10 will give you feels that make booze seem pretty lame!! My 10 made 60 seconds feel like forever. But with the way I felt so accomplished, the waaay better results I got physically, and the crazy endorphin rush I felt, 40 minutes of moderate cardio just seemed so not worth it when I could do this instead.

So that is what I would say for now in response to your post! I could go on and on about the meals too but I've already said so much here. I do love the shakes, I know people are hesitant about stuff like that and I was too. I called the phone number on the package and asked questions, and I asked my doctor what she thought. Then I tried them and honestly found them very helpful as meal replacement. Let me know if I can help you in any way! And yes you can send private messages on here. I'll add you as a friend too! Good luck!

• Let me know how it goes IWillGetFit.

I am not planning on doing the shakes. the way i look at it, i want this to be a life change, and realistically i am not going to buy shakes for the rest of my life lol. I have been incorporating protein and a carb into my meals/snacks. Example, this morning i had two slices of turkey bacon and a low fat yogurt for breakfast. i had a lowfat cottage cheese berry flavored for my snack, i had a tuna salad with lots of veg, (peppers, onion, pickle, tomoato, lettuce) and i had a cup of mixed strawberry and pinapple. For my afternoon snack/meal i have purchased low fat deli meat. its individual packages,its like 90 cals a pack, but i dont plan to eat the whole pack. (dont worry all the other numbers on there are heahtly too lol), but i will eat half of it and an apple. For supper i am having chicken pizza on a pita. i will have sauce, grilled chicken, lots of peppers and onion and mushrooms. and just a tiny shaving of low fat cheese. With that i will have a green salad. i am finding it difficult to fit in the 6th meal/snack each day. I work 8 hours a day, by the time i get home to cook for my family its 6:00, then i eat and i dont want to eat an hour before or after my workout so by the time it would be time for me to eat that 6th snack it would be like 800p.m.. to me it seems like a waste of calories to me lol. But again, i dont want to ruin my progress either.

Let me know how your journey goes.