BFL Instead of Medication

• I had a followup appointment this morning with my doctor to discuss my blood results which revealed elevated cholesterol and blood sugar levels. I was already expecting the lecture on more exercise more and eating healthier. I came in prepared. Explained that I was already on my second week of BFL at what the plan entails. She like my proactive approach and the details of the plan.

Best News: No medication at this time. I will just stick to the plan and re-test at the end of 12 weeks to see what my levels are. 

• Great News!!!

2011 Men's Body-for-LIFE Champion "endure... inspire... body for life!"

• NICE

Tis better to look UP in the mirror to be inspired than to look DOWN at the scale and lose your desire!! - SEM

• I received a surprise call from my doctor tonight. I re-tested my testosterone levels last week. They unexpectedly came back even lower -- much lower. I am now outside the range of normal. She referred to an endocrinologist who I will call tomorrow.

Then I did something scary, I started to do my own on-line research. Never a good idea. The upside is all the articles suggested diet and exercise are the natural way to raise the levels. Therefor I am still hopeful I can avoid medication by simply sticking with the BFL program.

The one thing that had become very clear is this is not about completing 12 weeks to change my body. It is about permanently changing my lifestyle to extend my life. The 12 weeks is just a short goal to create good habits and measure progress.

Stay turned for more info.

• Dan, have you thought about cutting out sugar (not whole grain carbs, just sugar and what I call sugar-donators such as white flour, processed breads/crackers, etc.)? I cut out all sugar for 3 weeks last year plus gluten, soy, dairy, and artificial sweeteners and it resulted in a 60 point drop in my total cholesterol (180 to 120) and a 100 point drop in my triglycerides! I'm an ICU nurse and am also on a statin for cardiac risk factors (related to a congenital coronary artery anomaly I was born with that has resulted in a narrowed artery and stenosis due to physical issues with the artery). I'll be on a statin forever as well as aspirin, fish oil, and vitamin D but after doing this diet challenge on a different website I was AMAZED at the almost immediate dietary impact on my labs.

• Hey Scrn, Thanks for this really great information. I have made some dramatic changes to my diet, but have not gone this far. I hopeful that my numbers will be range when I retest on March 1. If not I may have to cut out all sugar. I'm thinking I should go ahead and start with artificial sweetener. I know I probably use to much of them in coffee and I can tolerate it without cream or sugar, so I am going go ahead and make that change now.

• "Dan, have you thought about cutting out sugar (not whole grain carbs, just sugar and what I call sugar-donators such as white flour, processed breads/crackers, etc.)?"

I understand that to be a very important part of the body-for-life plan of eating, at least according to the book. I don't think artificial sweetener is a problem because it has zero calories. I know there's some different opinions about it but it helped me to be successful and stay out of all-or-nothing thinking. That was important for me personally because I was SUCH a sugar junkie. When sweet cravings hit me like a ton of bricks I just drank diet soda, since coffee gave me terrible acid indigestion.

Your doctor will be really surprised if you keep it up! I had my cholesterol checked before I started....it was 234!!! OMG. I went back after the 12 weeks and it was down to 164. I showed my doc the notebook I used everyday for diet and exercise and she was so proud of me. Her actual response was "wow, this is amazing. I wish I could get more of my patients to do this". But it's still important to run med changes by the doctor according to how you are doing now. It'd be such a shame if something scary happened from stopping the meds before you finished the 12 weeks :-O