Derailed by illness and devastated.

• I started the program on June 10, and was faithfully sticking to it. I was really proud of myself because I have always had a hard time sticking to a workout routine in the past. I hadn't seen much progress physically after three weeks...my measurements did not change, and the scale didn't drop, but I did feel stronger and knew I was gaining muscle. I felt really strong and determined. I was on a roll. Then last week, out of nowhere, an extreme fatigue hit me. It took everything I had to walk across a room. I was so sick. After having some blood work done, I found out that I had mono, and I am supposed to be resting for the next two and a half weeks. I am   devastated...Finally I was sticking with something and feeling good, and I knew I could do it, and now I'm told the only way I'll regain my strength is if I take it easy. I'm so afraid that any progress I made will be undone and my confidence and motivation will be lost. Has anyone else had this experience in the middle of a program? I'm not sure if I should just pick up where I left off when I'm well again, or even when it's okay to start an intense program again...Or should I wait for the next challenge to start and just start over? Any advice? I'm really discouraged...

• Sorry to hear about the mono.  If it were me, I'd follow the doctor's recommendation and take the next 2 1/2 weeks fine tuning my goals and continue eating the BFL way.  Your results are about 80% nutrition based (although that 20% exercise is very important).  You might study up on some new exercises to put in your arsenal for the future.  No, I haven't had to deal with this type of speed bump, but that is what I would call it.  As to the official challenge, you may find you might need to scale back on some weights at first, but that's temporary.  I see no reason why you also couldn't re-start your challenge (unless Abbott has some restriction).  Hang in there and take care of yourself :)

• Hey, I had a very similar post not too long ago! On June 18th I had surgery, I was not expecting it to be then. I had been waiting to hear from insurance and thought it would be a while, but then they called me on a Monday and were like "how does this week look?" I had started my 2nd challenge already. I was worried because I really felt like Challenge #2 was going to be the one that really took me to the next level. But I had to rest for at least 2 weeks.

I was so worried that I would back track and have to start all over. But just like Beth said, stick to the diet and you will be a-okay. I didn't gain any weight back, I even continued to have progress just from eating right. And when I felt good enough to go back to the gym, I felt just as awesome as ever. The hardest part was just making myself go work out after not doing it for 2 1/2 weeks. I was like "uhhg I don't wanna". But once I was back in the habit, it was just like before. I was thinking about starting over, but I stepped on the scale and have lost 15 lbs already since June 3rd! So I am going to keep going with my start date. But if you feel like you would want to re start, thats totally understandable. I think it just depends on how you feel.

I totally felt a sense of dread that I was going to lose the hard work I had put in. I just didn't let that take me down, thinking "oh I will just start over. I might as well eat whatever I want". I just focused on preserving myself in a healthy way, and making choices that I would feel good about later.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!!

• AK28Star,

I agree with Beth and Caity, the nutrition is the most important part!  There is nothing you can do about the exercise part right now because you have to rest in order to get better.  However, you can still make the right nutrition choices which will at least maintain whatever progress you've made thus far.  

Good Luck and hope you get better soon!

• Mono is a particularly difficult illness to deal with because of the duration of the illness and the duration of the recovery. Rupture of the spleen, which can be fatal, is the greatest risk during the convalescent, or recovery, phase. As a result, conservatism, in the form of complete rest, is the best option.

Please realize that along your journey, you have hit a roadblock but In the end this does not mean that your journey will be hindered on an overall basis. I have struggled with health issues and have learned that it made me stronger physically and emotionally.Enjoy, this rest period but also try to visualize the results that you hope to attain when you are healthy again. Eat clean, have patience and you will feel terrific in no time!

• Getting sick sucks!  I got sick twice during C1 and once during C2.  You just have to take the time to get better and then get back on the wagon.  With mono it could take a little while, but there's nothing you can really do about it.  If you can continue with the nutrition aspect of the program you're winning 1/2 the battle.  

Hope you feel better soon!

Justin