Need my Confidence Back - Need Inspiration

• Hi All,

I have tried BFL 2 times in the past and failed. I usually fail at around week 3 because I find it hard to keep up with the nutrition and I'm often confused about weights for my size/gender.

Lately I've felt very unattractive, unmotivated and not confident. I really want my confidence back. I want to feel good about life and its hard because I don't take the time for myself to do it.

As a vegetarian (don't eat eggs but I do consume dairy), I find it very hard to eat on this plan. I get tired easily and I feel very limited. I also feel like the protein shakes are really hard on my stomach. Does anyone have any advice? 

Also, does anyone have any workout plans that have worked for women starting out? 

Any help would be appreciated!

• I followed the book to a T for workouts. The first 2 weeks I treated as a "find my levels" because I had never lifted before and didn't want to get hurt. So I started super light, with 5 and 7.5lb weights for almost everything for upper body and below 50lbs for lower body. And sometimes even those were a struggle! My "10" with cardio was about 5.5 mph. After 3 weeks I finally reached a comfort level to start hitting 10s. So it does take time. The weights for your size/gender are totally relative to whatever you feel comfortable with. Don't get stuck on if what you're doing is right unless you feel like you are working too hard, or not enough. Everything with this is within the context of the individual.

My husband was vegan for years and a has a severe dairy allergy, so I can hopefully offer you some advice on the eating part of this. If the protein powders upset your stomach, try something that is derived from a non dairy, non egg source. Maybe look at trying hemp protein powder or RAW brand protein powder (my husband uses this and loves it). I wouldn't recommend soy, it can really ruin your digestive system.

For protein, I have had friends do the Challenge as vegetarians and they ate a lot of tempeh, seitan, beans (which are still a carb but can help you reach protein goals), plain yogurt, and cottage cheese. Did you track everything you eat in your previous attempts? I think that is super important to ensure you're getting the correct amount of sugars, fats, protein and carbs. The tiredness could be due to a deficiency in one of those areas. It could also just be adjustment. The first 2 or 3 weeks of the Challenge I was exhausted. After the 3rd week it got a lot easier.

Good luck and I hope you decide to give it another try!

• I hear ya!  I know those feelings all too well.  I actually did Body for Life after the birth of my last child 12 years ago and was very successful with it.  Then I had some "life" changing events, such as a new job, moved to a new state, new relationship and I just got overwhelmed with LIFE and to be quite honest got depressed, which as we all know contributes to fatigue, lack of self confidence, motivation and the list goes on and on.  

So there I was looking in the mirror at this "new person" I had become and couldn't stand what I saw.  Day after day putting myself down until finally I made the choice to DO something about it. Believe me, I had to dig really deep inside myself and grab whatever motivation I could find to even pick up those weights on day one.

I would like to mention that part of my fatigue was contributed to anemia which I have suffered with for the past 2 1/2 years and that constant fatigue compounded everything. So you may want to rule that out, as well or any other potential health problems before you get started.

I am at the end of my 3rd week having not missed any workouts.  

During the first 5 to 10 days when I felt like my motivation was waivering,  I would come here and read and look at the pictures and kept encouraging myself to continue on.  I measured this morning and I have lost 2 inches around my waist and 1 1/2 inches off my hips.  I have lost 4-5 pounds.  I can feel my self-esteem rising and for the first time in a long time I feel proud of myself!  

If I can do this, so can you!  You are the only one who can make it happen.  

Mosher

~Nothing changes until SOMETHING changes~