50+ and determined...

• Welcome WorkoutGuy!  Definitely get your photos and bio on here.  You'll be back to where you want in no time!

Blessings <><

Stephon

• Happy Thursday Week 1!

LBWO yesterday was really good.  I tried an exercise that I read about good for calves (and everything else):  Put treadmill on maximum incline (mine was 20%) and do 30 second bursts at the maximum speed you can maintain for the entire time.  I incorporated this in as my "calf" exercise.  I do all my BFL workouts "circuit" style without the 1 minute rest after each set.  I find it gets a 1-hour workout done in about 30-35 minutes without rushing.  Plus it's a cardio workout at the same time...BONUS!

Cardio this morning was equally good.  I can already feel my lungs returning to normal after being off thru December (big mistake...don't do that).  I actually made my old, old, old time of 2 miles in 20 minutes today; so I am well on my way back to a normal running time...then it'll be time to "step it up" again!  haha.

Blessings <><

Stephon

• Group, you are really motivating. My wife and I were talking over the New Years about getting started and your blog has made us commit. I was hoping that you might have room for one (OK two) more. My wife and I going to start the program this Sunday so I would be a week behind you. We have never blogged so all of this is new to us. We are looking forward to success over the next 12 weeks and perhaps a little nudging to get us over some of the difficult hurdles that I am sure that we will be facing. Either way we are wishing you all the best!

I am not going to tell you that it will be easy ... I am going to tell you that it will be worth it!

• I want to be motivated and fit at 50 too. Way to go all of you!! You inspire me!!

• Hey 50+er's....Hope you all had a great Thursday. Just got back from a very intense arm workout. My arms are baked!! After doing several challeges over the years I am currently on more of a bodybuilding routine but my nutrition is still BFL style (which is basically a bodybuilding diet). I'm actually taking the next 4 days off to visit a buddy of mine I grew up with and watch football all weekend. Will be back in the gym Tuesday.

PK: Thanks for your kind words. Along with trying to live out my faith I want to set an example for other 50+ men and women that with good nutrition and workouts we can have a high quality of life even later in life.

Run4life: Welcome to BFL and this thread in particular. You will get alot of support here. We're all in the same boat....getting older but staying fit.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

fit4life "The dream must be bigger than the pain"

• I was planning on starting my Challenge on January 10 but after reading all of your inspiring and motivating posts I changed my mind and will start on Saturday.  I'm also a member of the 50+ crowd and disappointed with myself for becoming complacent with my physical appearance which in turn affects the rest of my life.  Time for a change!  Here's to an unbelievable 2012!

• Happy Friday Week 1!

UBWO was intense today.  Abs and legs sore from Wednesday still, but a good 10 minute HIIT warmed me up fine and got the kinks out.  Changed up all my exercises from Monday.  Cant wait for a good long run tomorrow.  Staying clean on food.  I'm not planning on straying too far (if at all) on Sunday (depends on how excited I get during the playoffs - LOL)

WELCOME to all the new names I see (fit4life - very impressed with your results sir!, run4life, naples, and Legs - also extremely impressed!  You will be more than ready for April!)

Hope everyone is having a great first week!

Blessings <><

Stephon

• Hey all,

Quick update. I plan to officially start my 12-week challenge soon, probably on Monday (1/9/2012). I need to get the before photos taken and I think I can squeeze that into my Monday schedule. I like to take very controlled photos under the same conditions for the before and after photos so that I can see "real" differences. It takes me an hour or so to set up the lighting and backdrop but I think it's well worth the effot to get good photos.

I'm not waiting to start moving forward though. Got in a great lower body workout today. Nutrition is probably the one thing I need to focus on the most since things got way out of wack when I was running. I need to relearn how to eat BFL style. Portion size is the thing I need to focus on the most.

• Naple and WorkoutGuy: It looks like we are all coming out of the running blocks on the same weekend. It will be good that have a couple of friends aligned with the program.

Looks like the others will be a week or so ahead of us. That is OK as it will give us some insight as to what we have to look forward to in the coming week.

WorkoutGuy: I am with you in that Nutrition will be one thing I need to focus on as well. I can taste calories just by reading about them.

For now I have to finish getting the workout room in shape. I hate to say it but this last year it has been more of a storage room. Even though I did not officially start the BFL program this week, I did warm my body up with an 8K News Years Resolution run. I looked like a chip eating couch potato crossing the finish line. And that is my current reality! Then a 5k on Wed and light weights on Thurs and a 5k again tonight with some neighbors who got me into running about 15 years ago.

My only anxiety is finishing this 12 week program and I am glad that there are quite a few bloggers on this thread who have already done several BFL cycles. That will be helpful when any doubts might come.

That said, I am looking forward to this weekend and the start. I was thinking about this program late last night and couldn’t sleep so I stayed up till 1:00 am reading all the subscriber’s profiles. Very inspirational. I promise to post mine in the new future.

Fit4Life and Stepon: thanks for the welcoming words

And now…on to the starting line!

I am not going to tell you that it will be easy ... I am going to tell you that it will be worth it!

• The support here is great.  I need to document my plans for tomorrow and get started.  I'm actually excited to begin

• This look a lot like the Body for Life Success Journal.  It's available on Amazon for about $5.00 plus $3.99 shipping.  Yours looks amazing though.  What I like better about yours is the customized pages for free days, etc.  I'll copy your idea for the next round. I expect amazing results however it won't be the final Challenge.  

• I'm looking forward to completing this and seeing fantastic results.  

• You put alot of thought and effort into this project  i can tell you will be a success with the Challenge!

This look a lot like the Body for Life Success Journal.  It's available on Amazon for about $5.00 plus $3.99 shipping.  Yours looks amazing though.  What I like better about yours is the customized pages for free days, etc.  I'll copy your idea for the next round. I expect amazing results however it won't be the final Challenge.  

• Hello Everyone,

Well, I've made it to my first free day! Boy, I was sore this morning - great workouts this past week. I am planning to rest and indulge a little bit today food-wise. For me, it  helps with the psychological aspect of sticking with the program.

I feel great during the week when I'm eating clean. But in all honesty, I look forward to resting and eating whatever sounds good on my free day! It's like a marker each week to remind myself that "Wow, I've been doing a great job and now comes a little reward."

At least that's the way I feel right now at the end of Week 1. Maybe as the weeks go by, I will not crave the food indulgences as much. How do you all look at the Free Day?

-Ruby

• Hey all,

Ruby - You bring up an interesting topic. Several years ago during a BFL challenge, I gave up the concept of a free day. It's one of the modifications I've made to the BFL program to make it fit into my lifestyle. While I believe that eating outside of the plan is good on occasion to break up the routine and keep the cravings form overwhelming you, I found that an all-day, once a week eating binge just didn't work for me.

So instead, I migrated to three "Free Meals" per week. Usually these free meals are the Friday, Saturday, and Sunday evening meals. These are important family meals for us and i want to participate in them full and without restriction. Also, these are the times when I'm most tempted to go off plan , so why not make them programed off plan meals? Also, I've found that at times life just doesn't fit into a once a week free day. For example, what happens when your Birthday is on a Wednesday? Do you wait until Sunday to celebrate? Yes, you could, but with my free meal plan, I simply move one of my free meals to Wednesday to accomodate the cake and the celebration (which again affects my family less).

I'm really interested in hearing how others have handled the Free Day concept.