Finally, after 11 years of trying, I did it!!

• Hi Jeremy and everyone,

This is my first time posting and I am so glad I found this thread. Great job to you Jeremy and all of the rest of you as well!

I'm 35 years old and have also tried BFL on and off since 1998 -- finally crossed the abyss almost 6 weeks ago and I feel amazing too! Lots of progress made in those 5 weeks and I'm so happy to hear from others who've done the same.

It's hard to put into words why anyone starts BFL and doesn't finish, what are the reasons keeping you from staying aboard -- I'm convinced it all rooted in our subconscious minds. I am still amazed at all the years that went by and it took so long for me to do something I always wanted to do, I always knew I could do, but for whatever reason I would start (pictures and everything) then start 'tweaking' the program until it was about as far away from being BFL as it could possibly be.

For a long time meals and overtraining were my problem. I was convinced if I ate less and trained 'harder' I would make progress in half the time. Um... that didn't work out so well. Actually it didn't work out at ALL. If training like a maniac 2+ hours per day and eating like a bird worked, I would have been fit 13 years ago. I've made more progress literally in 5 weeks on strict BFL training then I did in all these years of intense workouts (Insanity, PX90, etc.) and sporadic eating habits. I'm so happy to finally be able to say that! :)

Best of luck to everyone and keep up the fantastic work!!

• Lovemydogs7:

I totally hear you about the overtraining and other tweaks.  Several times when I started and ditched Body4Life, I would add an extra ab workout, or lengthen my cardio because 20 minutes didn't seem enough in my mind.  But each time I failed anyway, so clearly my "own plan" wasn't working any better, and I was getting neither physical or emotional results.

When I finally did complete Body 4 Life a few weeks ago, my success was linked to following the workouts, and adding nothing more to them.  Occasionally I had to re-order a workout (ex: I'll do cardio today and upper body tomorrow due to my work schedule), but I finished every single workout.  Nutrition was a big deal too!

I now see physical results, and man, I really FEEL both physical and emotional results.  This is the frame of mind to make new commitments and set new goals!

well done!! :)

• Thanks Jeremy! :)

And I agree with you, it's such a simple fact but one that gets lost -- your success/my success/ success of others relies on following the program EXACTLY and not adding anything to it. You are so right, I too would constantly throw in 'extras' and actually found myself doing 90 minutes of cardio at a time, all thinking it was going to get results quicker.

You are also right about the emotional results -- it's simply impossible to keep going when you are exhausting yourself and not seeing or feeling changes at all. Nutrition is HUGE too, I have literally doubled my food intake and now in week 6 I am amazed at the changes I keep seeing... it's exciting to know I can do this at my age and see (and feel!)  such great results!

:)))))

• Jeremy,

Thank you for sharing that.

After a really promising start,  I've stumbled on day 3 - I caught a bug and have been I'll today. Really annoying, as I've taken up open water swimming, and can't get enough of it.

But I'll be back...

Mike.

• I remember the tears during my final HIIT; it is an amazing feeling.  Remember that feeling and draw from it.  Continue to push yourself and don't become complacent.  You should be proud of yourself.  This is just the beginning!  Look at all your future holds for you!  Congrats!

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• Jeremy--

WOW!  your post is so great!  I have given up too many times in the past too!  With this challenge, I've made it as far as I ever have before (day 4 of week 6).  I am still going strong, and really looking forward to completing this challenge.

I have to say, it is post like this that really keep me going!!  Thanks so much for sharing!!

• wow - Good Job!

• wow what a great read!  in 2004 I did my first challege after reading the book.  then ever since I just couldn't seem to finish another one! It's like I love learnign new things, then I complete them, and then onto the next venture and I allowed my habits to come back.  I tried over and over to start another one and just couldn't do it.  

Until finally last year I focused in again and finished thx to this forum!!  Currently finishing my 3rd challenge now!  this time focusing on how I can make it 'for life'!

i wish you success in your other goals you want  to accomplish.  I need to do what you did.  Write the unfinished things down, and set a priority for getting them done in order.

• Jeremy,

Congrats on your personal success and accomplishment.

I too have tried several BFL's over the years, back in 2001 I made it to week 8. I have also just completed my full 12 weeks and feel fantastic, lost over 38lbs. and have a feeling of true satisfaction with settng my mind to complete someting and doing it.

It has truly become a "body for life",  the eating and working out are just another simple task that I complete each day. I sill have 30+lbs to lose and will be starting a C2 on August 1st. But I know that I will complete it.

Again congrats and thank you for sharing your store with us!!

• Captainbeaky/ Mike,

keep at it.  Illness is the toughest element to overcome in all of this.  

But you are early enough in the program that you could simply make up those days at the very end

if you feel that would honor your commitment more.  In the end, it's up to you.

For me, I set my commitment down very specifically in writing, and that was the one I had to keep.

And once I did, what a great feeling of personal victory and inspiration for whatever step is next for me.

Keep at it! :)

• BDMom,

thank you so much for that reply.  It's been several weeks now since i completed my 12 weeks.  This is a great reminder to not become complacent, to be propelled by the success of this personal victory,

and to bravely dive into new goals!

Thank you!!

• SamK

DO IT my friend.  YOU have made the commitment and are more than 1/2 way there now.

I'd love to be kept updated on your success.  I'm glad my story could encourage you.

See the things that come out of personal victory?  Just imagine what your encouragement

will be for others once YOU finish.

Keep at it!

• OptiGirl -

Wow that's an AWESOME story!  And how cool that this forum helped you thru it.  

I am at the point now where I am ready to sit down and commit to some new goals.

It really does feel significant to write them down, not just like writing a list, but one or two

huge life priorities.  This is LIFE we are talking about, and it should be lived to the very fullest,

and really, our bodies are such an important starting place for all that follows - emotionally, relationally,

with career, etc.  

As I mentioned though, I really only hit success when I didn't over stretch myself with too many goals at once.  I seriously have about 8 or 9 major things in my life I would love to accomplish and prioritize.  But I rarely make big progress with any with so much to focus on.  I became singular in my focus.  

I'm sure that's how Body 4 Life even started.  Bill said: "ok, this is my one thing, and I'm going for it."

And I can only imagine all that has come as a result of that ONE focus.  

I've been a little restless because I've been trying to figure out what my next focus should be, in all that I think I would like to do next.  It will come to me, but when I decide, you can bet I'll put 2 things max on that list, and I will go for them will all that is in me, knowing that I can do it.  Why?  Because I have first hand proof thru body for life that I CAN do it. woohoo!

Keep at it with challenge #3!

:)

• BDMom,

"Bravely dive into new goals."   Wow, I'm going to keep that quote with me this week and really think

on it.  THANK YOU!

• Thank you for such an inspiring story, Jeremy.