Encouragement and Advice needed please.

• Just had my weigh-in this morning, having now completed 6 weeks. In previous weeks I have lost fairly well with ther exception of one week where I had been on a 3 day camping weekend and had eaten badly for the three days and put on 2lbs.

This weekend I was ok on Saturday (my free day) and didn't eat a huge amount but on Sunday I visted friends and went to a car show where I had same chips and some fudge, then we had a bbq back at my friends place. I only ate two sausages, a burger and a couple of white burger buns, so not a huge amount, but obviously well off plan, and this morning I ended up with a weight loss of only 1lb, and a waist measurement which added an inch to last weeks measurement.

I guess it might be a bit of bloating from the weekend but I'm a little disheartened and feel like I've let myself down and wasted a week of hard work.

And to make things worse, my friends have a night out planned for Saturday (my free day) and I really don't want to mess up another week of work.

My plan is to eat pretty much an on plan day during the day, maybe not including my mid morning and mid afternoon meals, so once I've had a good few drinks in the evening I won't be too over the top with my calorie intake for the day...does this sound like a good plan?

Also, as we are going out clubbing I intend to dance as much as possible to try to burna  few calories while I'm out!

Is there anything I can do to add to the effect the plan is having for me so I have a super good week this week in the hope that the inch round my waist goes and I lost more lbs?  extra cardio, cutting back on portion sizes...or something?

I really want to feel I'm doing well and today I just don't. In six weeks I have now lost 15lbs but feel I should have lost more.

SOme words of encouragement right now would be very much welcomed! :o(

• As I have often said.,  if you get off track, write it up to experience and learn from that and get right back on track and finish the 12 weeks.  It will give you restored confidence, encouragement and knowledge. Be sure to count that week as a free day this week,  A renewed effort with perhaps a liitle more emphasis on cardio would help and perhaps better more advanced meal planning would as well to keep you from straying again,   I am sure you can do this if you really want to, Keep on truckin

• Hi there! - You've got to look at your journey like a marathon, not a sprint. You've acknowledged that you haven't been 100% on plan — and that's why your body is reacting the way it is. 6 weeks into BFL, you're a finely tuned, protein-consuming machine...so of course a few "off" days are going to throw your body out of whack. Stay the course! you've still come a long way, and it's not over yet!

As to the night out — I know those are always difficult for me. Might it be possible for you to "space" your drinks with a glass of water? That way you'll likely drink less, but still be able to enjoy yourself. I know when I drink a lot, I might not do TOO much damage in terms of total calories, but my body starts to hold onto water weight, and the next day I feel too gross to work out, usually. The water might help with moderation and dehydration.

Keep up the good work!

• Hey Mr. Bear,

We all have fat days, or even fat weeks, where we just feel crummy and like maybe we aren't working hard enough.  It seems to me that you already know what you probably needed to avoid on your off day, or at least have a little less of, so I think you should just go with what you know.

Skipping meals is a little counterproductive, I think, bc then you'll be starving when you DO eat, and will probably have a little less self-control. Maybe just watch your total carb intake/calorie intake thru the most of the day to give yourself a little wiggle room, but don't ditch your meals.  Your gain around the middle is probably just what you said, bloat from the not-so-clean food.  It'll go away!

Of course, this is just my opinion, for what it's worth, but it seems to me that you're already doing a great job with your loss, so be proud!  I'm proud of you!

• Thanks for your replies, it's nice to hear from other people that I'm still doing pretty well.

My meal planning is good during the week and I'm happy about that. The free day on saturday was fine, the Sunday isn't a normal occurance, normally I'm back on plan from the Saturday. I think the thing that disppointed me most was not the fact that I ate things I shouldn't just the amount of impact it can have on an otherwise really good week.

I was actually quite pleased with myself as I could have had extra sausages and burgers but had enough self control to just say no. However I did have a second bun which I shouldn't have, and of course the fudge was a bad idea, caused by being out in the cold and wet.

The water between drinks plan for the evening out sounds like a good idea and I'm sure I can use it to keep down the amount I drink. As for not working out cos I feel rough after drinking...well I shall be harsh on myself and make sure I do it!

Would it be a good idea to count the sunday lapse as this weeks free day, so on Saturday which would normally be my free day I eat totally on plan (though maybe with slightly less carbs) and write off the drinks in the evening as one of those things?

• First let me say that 15 pounds in 6 weeks is a LOT in my opinion.  So you are doing well that way.  And yeah you had some hurdles, and ate some stuff.  But its done now, so let the bad feelings about it go.  Stick with the positive.   And as far as working out the morning after drinking...*LOL*...been there, gotta do it.  No matter how much you don't want to before hand.  You can feel all righteous afterwards.  

And because my schedule can be so wild, when a day comes up that I have a situation  that I know I will not eat clean or drink, then yes I make that my free day, and turn my normal free day into a clean day.  Its not as good as being consistent with free days, but its better than two free days in one week.  It works for me on those uncontrollable situations.

Keep strong, just imagine how you will feel in 6 more weeks.  

• Hi There

I am in the middle of my 6th week. I jumped on the scales this morning at the gym and saw no lose but  some how i can feel inches shedding. This motivated me and made me push even harder on my upper body work out, and now i am saw but a good saw cause i know i reached those high points. And now i will cut out more carbs.

I know how you feel when you think you are not loosing and then you feel fat but we have to find that motivation to say stuff that lets get on with it and also try and enjoy this challenge it is going to or is already changing our lives for the better.

Good luck chin up, smile and love the fact that you are making a difference for yoruself.

Jonnny V

• I had my weigh in yesterday morning and hadn't lost anything weightwise, however, nor had i lost anything on my measurements.

I felt rather down in the dumps about it, but then thought to myself, well, a lot of people do hit a plateau with weight loss etc so it's hopefully only that, though I have so much fat to lose (probably another 40lb would be good)  that i hoped it would continue to drop off as it did at the start of the programme.

The previous weekend, as mentioned in the first post, I had eaten off plan on the sunday, and this weekend just gone I knew I was going out drinking saturday night, so I planned to eat on plan during the day, and just put the drinks down as one of those things.

I didn't eat too bad, and to be honest didn't drink a huge amount (more than I probably should have though), and ont he sunday I didn't eat much at all...so I had hoped it wouldn't have had too much affect on my week but it seems to have had a big impact again.

I am disappointed that it's another week which feels like it was wasted!

This week I am eating on plan fully and working hard to do my exercise as best I can and I really hope that the weight begins to drop again!

I was encouraged yesterday when doing my upper body workout, when I saw that my arms are definitely starting to get more shape to them and feel a lot firmer, so maybe, just maybe some of the lack of weight loss is due to muscle building!!

Once again any and all encouragement much appreciated!!! I finish my first challenge on July24th and until then I am going to be as focused as possible and it really does help to have people encouraging me!!

Thanks

• Measurements, not scales. Every 4-6 weeks. First weight loss is usually bloat, water, etc., depending how much junk and salt one was eating prior to BFL. After that, real results start to show weeks 10-12.

Courage isn't lack of fear. It's our ability to carry on despite our fear

• 15 pounds in 6 weeks is perfect......just get back on track with your eating and exercise plan.   When I go out, I use that as my free day but still try to stick with a nice salad, chicken dish, whatever, and if partying, I always go for Mich Ultra and stay away from sugary drinks.    My advice would be NOT to skip meals......been doing this for 8  months and I'm convinced that eating is 90% of the plan.  

• Ruby4444

Measurements, not scales. Every 4-6 weeks. First weight loss is usually bloat, water, etc., depending how much junk and salt one was eating prior to BFL. After that, real results start to show weeks 10-12.

That's the thing though, my measurements aren't really changing either, at the start I  lost a bit on my tummy and chest and leges but since then they've not really moved at all.

Highplainsdrifter

15 pounds in 6 weeks is perfect......just get back on track with your eating and exercise plan.   When I go out, I use that as my free day but still try to stick with a nice salad, chicken dish, whatever, and if partying, I always go for Mich Ultra and stay away from sugary drinks.    My advice would be NOT to skip meals......been doing this for 8  months and I'm convinced that eating is 90% of the plan.  

Thing is, it's not 15lbs in 8 weeks which is disappointing when I was dropping 3lbs a week or thereabouts.

I'm not skipping meals, as you say it does seem like the eating is the main focus of the plan.

• Bear, I believe everyone hits a plateau, most around week 6.  This is where you need to (excuse the expression if it bothers anyone) man up!  I am serious, we all want instant gratification, and you were seeing it at first, so this is the real challenge.  Can you keep going without seeing results every day?  They will come, but only if you persevere through the plateau.  And you alredy wrote where you can clean up, so clean up your eating, stick to the work outs, and it will happen.  

• Is there anythigns more I can do to help myself on the way,  with te exception of a couple of weekends, I've been eating very clean and doing my exercising as I'm supposed to, is there anything I can do in addition that would help?

• Bear, sorry if my earlier post sounded so abrupt.  So many people in here seem to hit a plateau and let that stall them or stop them in the program.  From what you said in your posts, yes you can do some things.  Don't drink.  I did twice during my first challenge, and it does add calories.  Be careful about how you try to make up after eating bad, as it sounds like you may put yourself in too deep calorie deficit and starving your body.  And then you don't have the energy to do your workouts to potential.  

Hit the gym hard.  Work your ass off, hit those tens every time.  Let the monster roar.  Eat clean and get 8 hours of sleep, drink water.    You will be successful.  

• Dude i weighed myself this morning and saw nothing had changed much and the same for my Body fat index. This pissed me off but encouraged me to push harder on my upper body work out this morning. I must have hit the same plateau but we must push through and stick to our plan.

Keep it up and reach those high points in the gym and watch the portions on your plate.

Have a blast and look forward to hearing how you come along.

Jonny V