I'm about to go crazy!! Help!!

• I'm on my 4th challenge and while I'm OK with losing slowly, approximately a pound a week, I have pretty much been between the same weights since February!! I switch up my weights pretty much every week. I always use different exercises to target the muscles during strength training. My diet is pretty much as follows daily.

Meal 1: (on cardio days) Cottage cheese pancakes (2) with 2 egg whites and 1 egg yolk (and coffee with 3 splenda with fiber)

Meal 1: (on strength training days) protein shake with low fat or skim milk

Meal 2: Greek yogurt with added protein

Meal 3: couscous, beans, and chicken, shrimp or salmon and other days a spinach salad with one of the aforementioned proteins

Meal 4: protein shake w/ low fat milk or skim milk

Meal 5: couscous or quinoa and a veggie like broccoli and a protein like in meal 3

Meal 6: cottage cheese and strawberries with a packet of splenda with fiber (I used to use all natural smuckers peanut butter and was still losing 1lb a week.)

I haven't actually eaten couscous in a couple of weeks and usually have veggies with dinner. I have a free meal but the days vary. It's usually a piece of cake or a couple of cookies, a piece of ferraro roche chocolate nothing excessive at all, or a few pringles. I don't binge.

I skipped 2 workouts this week for the first time in FOREVER. I'm just sooooooo tired and ready for the weight loss to start back up. You can see on my blog all of the ups and downs of the scale. I weigh every Monday and I'm always hoping for at least 1 pound! I even looked into weight loss supplements but I just can't do that. I aim for my 10s every workout but my body is stuck!

Help me please BFLers!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Tia~

http://journeytosix.blogspot.com

You can choose the pain of discipline or the pain of regret...

• The only thing that has ever helped me break through a plateau is to up the intensity, length and/or type of cardio. AND the most important…cut out all unnecessary carb intake! Even if you do a cycle type carb deal, cutting carbs significantly for a brief time and increasing cardio should definitely get the fat melting again!

Just my two cents!

Hope this helps…

~Rob

• I love your 2 cents Rob! I soooo appreciate it. Upping the cardio eh? *sigh* How much did you up it by?

Tia~

• How long do you take off between challenges?  Do you switch up the exercises?  I would consider doing all new exercises.  

• I switch up my weights pretty much every week. I always use different exercises to target the muscles during strength training.

As far as taking off between the challenges, I don't really. For the 2 weeks of active rest I still do the cardio but not the same level of intensity. I'll do weights but not the same intervals. More like upper and lowerbody in the same day circuit training mode.

Tia~

• much been between the same weights since February

Do you mean scale weight or weights lifted?

Also are you taking photos every four weeks?   I've weighed the same since July 09 and look totally different now.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Meal 3: couscous, beans, and chicken, shrimp or salmon and other days a spinach salad with one of the aforementioned proteins

Beans=Carb Couscous=Carb

• How long has it been since you took 3-4 days OFF from everything?

• Hi Champster, thanks for your reply but I don't understand what you mean when you say couscous=carbs, beans=carbs. I know that (not to be rude :) ). I've been eating that through my first 3 challenges. They are portion controlled to have the alloted 20 grams of allowable carbs. I don't eat a full serving of each. They are on the allowed foods list which is why I include them. However, as I mentioned I haven't eaten couscous and barely even beans in 2 weeks.

I meant scale weight when I said that I've been between the same weights. I've been increasing the amounts of weight lifted whenever it gets too easy.

I have not taken 3-4 days off from everything. At all. I've done a 5k (walking) and 2.5K and did my HIIT cardio before it because I didn't know whether or not the walk would be high intensity enough.  I know that I'm supposed to take off 2 weeks and do light cardio and other active rest stuff but I just can not bring myself to take off that long. I have no idea what to do in the mornings during active rest because I just can't exercise in the evenings. The last time I took off 2 weeks it took me an entire challenge to really get back on! *sigh* I don't want that to happen again.

I've taken pictures, however my clothes aren't any looser. ALTHOUGH I MUST say I am firming. There's no question about that. I acknowledge that and I know that scale weight and inches don't always correspond. BUT because my clothes are not getting any looser and haven't gotten looser in 4 months. I'm a little frustrated at this point.

Thank you sooo much for all of your questions Champster :) Thanks for taking the time to help me get to the bottom of this!

Tia~

• I am sorry suenos096 based on your post I thought you were eating them together.

I am not one that can take 1-2 weeks off either, but I do take 3-4 full rest days every 12 weeks.  Your body needs the break.

I've been the same weight and pants size for almost 2 years now, but my body is completely different than it was 2 years ago.

So tell me more about you.  Your height, weight, age and pants size if you don't mind.

It may be time for you to try something drastic but I'll hold off on that until I know the information above.

I understand exactly where you are coming from as I too had the same thing happen.  It took me months to figure out that I was working out like an athlete and continuing to eat like a dieter.  

Now I eat and workout like an athlete and there is a difference.

Also how long has it been since you removed your natty PB.  I notice that you don't mention any fat in your meals.

• You could try cutting out all refined carbs (including on your free days) and replacing them with whole grains and the occasional low sugar fruit.  It sounds drastic but it's not as bad as it sounds.  When you cut out almost all refined carbs, your hunger level drops way down and they don't have the pull they once had, at least in my experience.

Also, you could try using a calorie counting food log for a while, which might point out any problem areas.  It can help you make sure you really are balancing carbs, proteins, and fats, and might turn up something that is hurting your diet that you don't normally think about.  There is a good one at caloriecount.about.com that others here have recommended.

• No Champster you are correct, :)  I do eat them together but I eat 1/4 cup of couscous and 1/4 cup of beans (garbanzo, lentils, or black beans) Should they not be eaten together?

I cut out peanut butter about 2 weeks ago. I'd been losing even with the tablespoon that I added.

I'm 5'5, 190? 188? It's been fluctuating between 188-192. I'm between a size 12 and size 14 pants. 14's are loose and 12's are tight.

What fats should I add? I do cook my cottage cheese pancakes with olive oil though. I didn't mention that one. The dressing I use on my salads 99% of the time is Low Fat Asian Sesame Ginger dressing.

And by full rest you mean only exercise right? Not food intake, correct?

Arejay- Thanks :) I don't eat refined carbs though. I stopped that pretty much when I was doing Atkins. I don't eat rice but if and when I do I eat brown rice. I'm not really a rice fan so I don't miss it AT ALL. If I eat bread (a couple of times a month maybe) I eat Double Fiber Whole Wheat Nature's Own bread. The only fruit I eat is strawberries. I rarely eat apples, or anything else but I do like apples and bananas. I just don't eat them very often at all.

I started calorie counting back in January and since then haven't lost much. Go figure! LOL I eat pretty much the same thing every day with little modifications. I eat between 1200 and 1400 calories. I'll try the caloriecount.com again see what I'm missing.

I'll take off the next 3 days as my 3 day rest period because honestly, I really don't know when my last challenge began! It's kinda blended together.

Thanks again :))))) I feel like I'm getting somewhere!

Tia~

• suenos I would use olive oil mixed with a little lemon and possibly some type of seasoning that you like for dressing.  Don't go overboard, but you need healthy fat.  Try a quarter of an avocado everyday if you like them.  Increase your eggs to 2 whole and two whites.  I love hard boiled eggs smashed with avocado with salt and pepper.

As to rest I mean full rest off of exercise and increased clean calories for 3 straight days.  Healthy nuts, more fruit, larger portions of meat or fish?

And on Free Day, do you rest and what do you consider your free meal?  

There is a mental component that is probably starting to come in to play.  Less is not more for an excessive period of time, especially for an athlete.  If you've gone that long with out a full free day, you need one of those two.  

Remember though that a full on free day could create mental feelings of guilt but that is not the right way of thinking and it's up to you to trust the process.

DO NOT WEIGH on Monday after free day, ever.  Wait unitl Wednesday to do that because it takes about two days of clean eats and good solid water consumption to get all the salt and such out of your system.

You'll know you are starting to make peace with food when you no longer feel guilt over free day or feel the need to totally restrict it to one meal.

• I'm actually really good with free meals and feel no guilt ever. I've never actually had guilt over that. When I read I could have a free day, I felt liberated. I have learned that I can NOT have alcohol as a free meal though. I tried just vodka shots about 5 and that not only stayed with me awhile but it increased my weight. I can do without that so no worries there.

As far a free meal I don't limit it to a day. For example, last week I had about 6 pringles and peanut butter with toast but not on the same day. This week someone bought carrot cake to work and I ate a piece. I save free days for days like those when someone brings cake or something tasty to work. I rarely eat something free on the weekends. Unless it's planned like going out for Thai or something.

On free day I do rest, I don't exercise but sometimes I go to the park and run around with my kids. But usually I clean on Sundays.

I forgot the almonds!!! I don't know how because I love them so much. I try to limit myself to 15 a day. I roast only about 20 at a time otherwise I WILL go overboard and eat the whole 10 pound bag at once if I do. I tend to put those in my salads.

I will try the avocado and eggs this weekend. While it doesn't sound appetizing, neither did cottage cheese with strawberries and peanut butter a few months ago! Lol I'll also try the change in dressing for this upcoming week.

Tia~

• tia,

I switch it up sometimes and hop on the treadmill and set at a steady speed and just run for 60 minutes. NOT my favorite run in the world, but when stuck...sometimes it will push you through! Other than that...diet is KEY!!!

Thank you for the nice comment on my blog...for some reason blogger want let me update right now...you having the same problem???

Keep working hard and you'll get the results and break through this!

~Rob