Getting into the swing of things

• Hi everyone,

I've been doing well so far (C1W2) and I've dropped 8 pounds.  I know some of that has to do with my cycle and when I started.  Still, my pants are definitely fitting better. Yeah!  I've been set back a little by all the ice and snow here on the East Coast.  I have tried to go to the gym, but my daughter is having a really hard time adjusting to the daycare.  She is 3 and since I stay at home, has never been with a babysitter out of our family.  She stands at the gate and cries the whole time.  It breaks my heart.  I have had to leave early twice because of it.  I have offered her all kinds of incentives (a lunchbox full of snacks, bringing her favorite toy, trip to the library after or to CVS for gummy bears), but she is still so sad.  I know it is just a matter of time and getting used to the kids and leaders there.  I can go early in the morning before my husband leaves for work usually, but he is out of town.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she will be ok today.   I do love the workouts.  I feel so strong.  I hope everyone is having fun!

• Galof,

That's tough.  I'm sure she'll adjust to the daycare but I know it must break your heart.  I know this isn't realistic for everyone, but I was actually able to do all my workouts from home.  I bought an elliptical and dumbbells.  That's all I needed.  Since then, I have added a treadmill, stability ball, resistance bands, pull-up bar..... I have quite the home gym now.

Years ago I went to a gym and had to bring my son with me.  He actually enjoyed the daycare there.  

It will be nice when you husband comes home again so you don't have to worry about your daughter.

It sounds like a cliche, but I honestly live by the old motto "If there's a will, there's a way."

You'll find a way to get it done.

Laurie, 2010 Body-for-Life Champion 46+

Never underestimate your power to change.

• The only thing I can suggest is the "removing a band aid method" for your daughter...drop off kiss and go!! If you stick around or say "don't worry, don't worry" she thinks she needs to be worried. It is the daycare's job to make it fun and welcoming for her. Do you trust them? Then don't worry. Tell them the duration of your workout and come back right away. One hour or 20 minutes is not very long. After 4 days of the "removing a bandaid method" she should be fine. Consistency is key.

I have brought all of my 4 kids with me to the gym daycare with the exception of my first, from the time they were 2 weeks old. I started this particular gym when my oldest was 5 months old. I had the separation problem as well, but one of the instructors at the gym was actually the one who told me it is their job to keep the little ones happy. Do not let them interrupt your workout. This is your time. Now this was my first child, so I admit it was hard to do, but you know... I am glad I did. They all 4 went thru the same thing at some point, I was consistent and now they LOVE coming with me!!

I promise she will not be traumatized... I don't care what people will tell you. I still have a hard time on first day of school when they are tearing your clothes off and begging "please don't leave me" and then I cry to my hubby all the way to the gym and wait til 3:00 when I can pick her up...and I have wasted my whole day worrying. My little one who is 3 as well has the biggest smile on her face and has had the best day...I WORRIED ALL DAY FOR NOTHING!!!! But you will see, it is the best thing for them. They must know mommy needs her time too, and they need time to be with the other kids.

It will take a few days but trust me, bring in, set down her stuff, hang up coats and stuff, kiss, hand off AND LEAVE. No looking back. No checking in. Once she sees you its over. You will be SO happy you did!!

This is the daycare's job. Make it clear what you expect from them. And tell your daughter what an amazing time she'll have and to colour you a beautiful picture to brighten your day for when you come right back to get her...

PS. I also stay home. I never had a nanny til I had my 4th and had no choice due to carpools etc. I couldn't be in 2 places at once LOL...my first three are also all withing 4 years and then my 4th was 4 years after that...It can be done!!

• Thanks for the advice.  I sent her on Friday with a baby doll stroller and a favorite stuffed animal.  She cried at first but I just gave her a kiss and went on my way.  When I came back 40 minutes later she was telling everyone about her birthday party.  I took her out to lunch (as negotiated earlier) and we had a fun time together.  When the family was together at dinner she reported that she got to go out with Mom 'cause she stopped crying at the Y.  I hope this is a sign of things to come.

BTW I love the feedback.  I got home late from my daughters orchestra concert and might have gone right to bed, but wanted to check in to see if anyone had responded.  It gave me a lift that you did.  Thanks!

• Thanks for the advice.  I sent her on Friday with a baby doll stroller and a favorite stuffed animal.  She cried at first but I just gave her a kiss and went on my way.  When I came back 40 minutes later she was telling everyone about her birthday party.  I took her out to lunch (as negotiated earlier) and we had a fun time together.  When the family was together at dinner she reported that she got to go out with Mom 'cause she stopped crying at the Y.  I hope this is a sign of things to come.

BTW I love the feedback.  I got home late from my daughters orchestra concert and might have gone right to bed, but wanted to check in to see if anyone had responded.  It gave me a lift that you did.  Thanks!

• I actually do have a decent weight set at home which has kept me going the last few years with a toddler at home.  Still there is something terrific about working out without someone asking where their shoes are or bringing you a lunch envelope to fill out.  (I have 6 kids)  I can really focus there.  Of course, the home gym has really helps out, especially when I'm short on time and have to do my workout in spurts throughout the day.

• I actually do have a decent weight set at home which has kept me going the last few years with a toddler at home.  Still there is something terrific about working out without someone asking where their shoes are or bringing you a lunch envelope to fill out.  (I have 6 kids)  I can really focus there.  Of course, the home gym has really helps out, especially when I'm short on time and have to do my workout in spurts throughout the day.

• Sorry for the double posts.  I am technologically challenged:(

• Sorry for the double posts.  I am technologically challenged:(

• KUDOS to you with 6 kids!! I come from 6 my husband comes from 2, and that is why I am stopping at 4 :(...WOW!!! I admire you!!

Just keep going! you can do this!

• I remember when my little girl cried during daycare and it tore at my heart strings. Please keep in mind this was many moons ago, in fact 21 years ago to be exact. I used to make the mistake of going back to give her one more kiss or one more hug. (not a good idea)

Today she is a well adjusted college student and she recently recalled her daycare experience and all she remembered was the fun she had and the games they played. Invest in your workout session, your baby girl will only benefit from the social interactions and prepare her for school. In fact you will be a better mommy overall for taking care of yourself and being a good role model.

Regards,

Lori

• My daughter used to sob every day when I left her at daycare. (I was a single mom at that time, so it was work or starve.) Three weeks ago she moved to Vietnam to teach English for a year. Believe me, it's harder on the moms than on the kids.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• I feel your pain! I tried a gym daycare and my little ones never got used to it. So, I go early like you mentioned at 5am and get home before the hubby leaves for work. On days that I miss the gym I do stair runs, sprints, and an elliptical at home. For UB, invest some free weights, use body weight for push ups, chair dips etc. LB is by far the easiest to do at home with lunges, squats, and all kinds of abs.

Hang in there. Do your best.