"No Slack"...just do it!

• Day 49

Week 7 is in the books...I had a good week as far as the program goes. I was looking forward to hitting that 20lb mark but it's not happening this week. This is the first week since starting that I actually gained 1lb...could it be muscle? I don't know but I'm going to enjoy my day off and hit it hard again tomorrow.

Here are my week 7 numbers...

Starting Weight, Body Fat, Body Mass.........231 lb, 36.7 BF, 31.0 BM

1st wk........................................................223 lb, 29.7 BF, 30.2 BM

2nd wk.......................................................221 lb, 24.3 BF, 27.0 BM

3rd wk........................................................220 lb, 24.0 BF, 26.8 BM

4th wk........................................................217 lb, 23.3 BF, 26.5 BM

5th wk........................................................215 lb, 22.8 BF, 26.3 BM

6th wk........................................................212 lb, 22.0 BF,  25.9 BM

7th wk........................................................213 lb,  22.2 BF,  26.0BM

Total loss....................................................18 lb,   14.5 BF,  05.0 BM

What can I say?...I'm not real happy with the numbers and am kind of puzzled. I should probably break out the tape measure.

Good Points...Much more energy, Great Attitude and I Feel Good!

• Day 53

Great workout this week. It seemed that I am hitting my high levels better than ever before. I'm not sure that I have been putting more effort into it...but they seem to be more intense. I'm able to consistently keep it at a higher level...I don't know maybe I'm getting use to the battles.

I'm really enjoying this ride now and am noticing some small changes happening...my fat areas are getting smaller and I'm seeing a little definition. I wish the 6 pack would show up though. LBWO tomorrow and an aerobic on Saturday will just about finish up week 8 for us. Finish this week up strong everyone!

Randy

• Saw this on Facebook, then saw the title of this thread and had to post!!! Every Damn DAY, people!! =)

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• HaHa!...Great Deb!...I'll keep the visual in my head as I go to the gym this morning.

Thanks,

Randy

• hey Randy,

your progress is brilliant. keep on keeping on. thanks for your input, why dont you copy and paste your entries from here everyday with our group, more feedback = more momentum = better results for all.

speak soon.

Cheers Donald

• Day 56

The end of week 8 and from what I understand...from here on out is when I'll see most of my changes. Well so far, I feel I've exceeded what I could have hoped for and cant wait to see what's going to happen.

Here are my week 8 numbers...

Starting Weight, Body Fat, Body Mass

.....................................................................231 lb,  36.7 BF,  31.0 BM

1st wk........................................................223 lb,  29.7 BF,  30.2 BM

2nd wk.......................................................221 lb,  24.3 BF,  27.0 BM

3rd wk........................................................220 lb,  24.0 BF,  26.8 BM

4th wk........................................................217 lb,  23.3 BF,  26.5 BM

5th wk........................................................215 lb,  22.8 BF,  26.3 BM

6th wk........................................................212 lb,  22.0 BF,  25.9 BM

7th wk........................................................213 lb,  22.2 BF,  26.0 BM

8th wk........................................................208 lb,  20.5 BF,  25.3 BM

Total loss......................................................23 lb,  16.2 BF,   5.7 BM

Measurements

Day1  Chest...46.25"  Waist...41.25"  Hips...42.25"  Thigh...24.5"  Bicep... 15.00"  Neck...16"

Wk 4  Chest...46.00"  Waist...37.50"  Hips...41.25"  Thigh...22.5"  Bicep...15.50"  Neck...15.5"

Wk 8  Chest...46.50"  Waist...35.50"  Hips...39.00"  Thigh...23.5"  Bicep...15.75"  Neck...15.5"

I know these are not unbelievable numbers but for where I was at..."Body and Mind" truly a wonderful transformation so far.

My twin sister Renee (Peters mother) has also came in with some great numbers this week with 17 lbs. total loss and 4 weeks to go.

Tomorrows another day and time to shake up my exercises a little. Watch out week 9...Here we come.

Randy

• Hello All!

Ending week 9...Well this week was pretty exciting but yet really tiring for some reason. I'm getting great workouts as I have changed my exercises and am working my core more. I'm not isolating  my muscles and using my core for stabilizing ie...Standing tricep raises, curls, shoulder raises, lunges, bent over rows...just trying to incorporate my mid bulge muscles. I'm doing very well on my aerobics but this week I'm going to try and hit the track again. Even though I can hardly  stand after my 19th minute on the elliptical I think I'll get more out of shifting things a little.

Tomorrow's another check in an I'm feeling good about it. Keep up the good work everyone...Work it hard because there's only 3 left.

Randy

• Day 63

End of Week 9

I just weighed in and see that I've gained 2lbs from last weeks big loss. I feel that I'm about where I want to be weight wise but I really need to push to build more muscle. I also need to firm up more in my mid section as it is looking better but not where it needs to be. I'm hoping it gets there in the short 3 weeks I have left in this challenge.

Well today is my free day and I just made Salsa so I'm going to sit and watch the Seahawks play in Chicago and then the UW Huskies play at California. Couldn't ask for anything better.

Here are my week 9 numbers...

.....................................................................231 lb,  36.7 BF,  31.0 BM

1st wk........................................................223 lb,  29.7 BF,  30.2 BM

2nd wk.......................................................221 lb,  24.3 BF,  27.0 BM

3rd wk........................................................220 lb,  24.0 BF,  26.8 BM

4th wk........................................................217 lb,  23.3 BF,  26.5 BM

5th wk........................................................215 lb,  22.8 BF,  26.3 BM

6th wk........................................................212 lb,  22.0 BF,  25.9 BM

7th wk........................................................213 lb,  22.2 BF,  26.0 BM

8th wk........................................................208 lb,  20.5 BF,  25.3 BM

9th wk.......................................................210 lb,   21.3 BF,  25.6 BM

Total loss...................................................21 lb,   15.4 BF,    5.4 BM

• HI Randy,

Still great numbers. You are a serious motivation for others here, i'm keen to see just how well you going to do by the end of the challenge. ONLY 3 WEEKS LEFT!!!!!!

Fantastic, the end is in sight, hang in there and keep us posted.

Well done.

cheers donald

• Hi Randy, thought your group would get some use out of this....

Weeks 10 through 12

by: Michael Harris  12/7/2007

As crazy as it may seem, many trainees, both men and women, tend to find that these last three weeks are the most difficult of all! You’ve probably seen the celebratory postings on the guestbook or on the Body for Life tracker as people finish up--thanking others for their support, and summarizing their results and last minute techniques, and then assumed that this was a fun time for them. Well, not so fast!

What happens to a lot of people is that they find themselves slacking off the exercise, cheating bit by bit on the diet, and taking things easy just at the time they thought they’d really be buckling down and finishing strong. This is human nature, especially for people who have never finished successfully anything this difficult before.

The last few weeks, especially weeks 10 and 11, are the last ditch efforts of the old you to make the new you fail again. There’s something in all of us that makes us want to quit or give up just when success is in sight. You’ll have to push through that, just by doing the next right thing in front of you, by refusing to listen to those negative, lazy voices, and by seeking some support from your BFL community.

Week 12 can get totally crazy, trying to make the last minute arrangements for your photos, doing a little bit of dietary and hydration adjustments to look as good as possible, and still having to carry on life itself. Let me just say that last minute carb cutting, water restriction, and frantic exercise may help just a little, but if you haven’t worked hard throughout the challenge, you can’t make up for 11 weeks of half-baked measures by doing anything hard for just a week. The best way you can use your last week is to stay the course you’ve been on, work on your skin color, and practice your posing for your final photos, especially the art of flexing every muscle in your body at the same time. It’s harder than it looks!

Well, that’s it. The end of this series. I hope you found it modestly helpful. Don’t forget the law of universal reciprocation. If you need help figuring out who to give to and how, drop me a note at miketharris@comcast.net and I’ll send you some information on a BFL family that badly needs a lift--both financially and spiritually, due to a severe illness requiring a transplantation procedure.

God bless!

Ending Your Challenge the Right Way

by: Michael Harris  11/18/2007

I wanted to let you all know of a couple of things I have learned from doing challenges over the years. (Yes, I have completed several, and the book says everyone should always have some kind of a transformation and goal going for them)

THE LAST WEEK! Everyone is tempted during the last week to cut carbs, restrict fluids, and do about everything they can to get those scales to move a couple more pounds. In my humble opinion, if you are right there, within a pound or two of your ideal weight and build, and you just want to look a bit more cut or have a bit more vascularity, those are reasonable things to do the last week. But, if you are not, the sacrifice that can come from drastically losing quickly a few pounds probably isn’t worth it. Those who have a long ways to go to ideal weight can lose scale weight but in appearance may actually look worse due the restriction of carbohydrates for fluids. Skin can look wrinkly and saggy, and faces tend to look more ill than happy if the person is crash dieting. Since photos will be taken right in the midst of that sacrifice, it doesn’t seem worthwhile to do it.

Others ask about diurectics, usually herbal diuretics. I don’t know of anyone who has been able to actually improve their situation by using them, though if you are retaining water under the skin a mild diruetic such as green tea might be worthwhile. Keep in mind that prescription diuretics are not legal to use in the contest.

PICTURES: If you can afford a pro, by all means do it. If you are thinking of having a family member do them, that will work, unless the person is not a patient person. IF THAT IS THE CASE, USING A TRIPOD (UNDER $20 AT WAL MART) AND THE TIMER ON YOUR CAMERA WILL SAVE YOU A HASSLE FOR SURE. Practice flexing in the mirror before you go to take them, because you won’t have a mirror in front of you to see how the muscles and poses look. Flex hard! Yes, it can change the expression on your face, but practice until you can make that painful expression look like a grin! Skin color is important to show contrasts and striations, so get a tan or use a skin colrant. Use a bit of PAM for a slight sheen, but don’t douse yourself in baby oil. The "wet" look is kinda out these days!

As far as the essay goes, tell it from the heart. Be sure to include the joyful with the painful and give credit where credit is due.While feelings can be important, your own are more important than how others told you they felt. A champion isn’t someone who is better than anyone else, but is someone who has had an opportunity through adversity to better themselves beyond where others could reach. Send it in on time. Late entries are not considered. Keep a copy of your entry. If your address or phone number change, be sure to keep EAS informed of that.

Know this above all! As a finisher, you will have accomplished something that puts you in at least the top 5% of those who began this great journey. That would give you an A grade anywhere I ever went to school. So, celebrate your accomplishment, and then take a week or two off--not from the diet--but from the gym. See my other blogs on active rest and what to do between challenges.

Good luck!

• Great Donald,

This is exactly what I needed to read at this point. I just went in and got information and signed up for my tan. I'm in the process of finding a photographer for my twin sister and myself. Everything is just coming together along with the great workouts and meals. I'm hoping my body will do its part.

Thanks,

Randy

• Day 70

So ends another week. This week it seemed as though the heavy food cravings were not as intense but still remained. Great workouts and for the most part I stayed on track with my food...well almost. Friday night I went for a long walk to the theater to watch True Grit and...I ended up with a med popcorn and Mr Pibb...ouch!!! I know at this stage of the game I should have it all together...but, what I did happened and not too worried about the slip. I know that it's time to move on and work the program...to do the best I can. It's so nice to see others noticing my weight loss and making good comments. I really need to work on my posing at this time and get going on my essay. The tanning is already in progress...I'm soooo pumped! this is getting interesting. Week 11 here we come.

Thanks everyone for your support.

Here are my week 10 numbers...

9th wk........................................................210 lb,  21.3 BF,  25.6 BM

10th wk......................................................207 lb,  20.6 BF,  25.3 BM

Total loss...................................................24 lb,   16.1 BF,    5.7 BM

• Randy,

Don't worry about the diet slip-up ie: popcorn. Often times bodybuilders will "treat" themselves before a competition to keep their cravings at bay. Keep up the good work! You are a wonderful inspiration and I am so happy for you!

Regards,

Lori

• Whew!...Thanks for the words Lori I feel better now...I could run with that one. :)

• Day72

Really working hard with all my aerobics and weights...I just cant seem to loose this little band of blubber around my belly button. I'm seeing the tops of my abs but it's NOT GOOD ENOUGH! There is one thing I forgot about that I was doing earlier and that is drinking some ice water first thing in the morning. The article I read said it gives your metabolism a 24% boost for 90 minutes afterward. With less than 2 weeks left I'm going to jump onto that.

Randy