Made the decision to stop and go to WW

• I've been following the challange for about 13 weeks.
    I am mentally and physically spent.

Not to mention I've spent over $200.00 on EAS products, Myoplex,Betagen, CLA.

Nevertheless, I have lost 10 lbs.

Its like this program controls me every hr. of the day.

You can't help thinking about food all the time because you need to eat all the time.

Going to the gym is exhausting, knowing you have to lift weight every other day is exhausting and my shoulder has never been the same since aai started this program.

Free day is a joke, no one takes advantage of it, its PUSH,PUSH,PUSH.

I can't stand c cheese, and yogurt before bed.

I can,t help but wonder what happens after a person completes the challange...people have said when they took there 2 week rest period, they gained wait, I just don't want to eat this way and exercise this way forever!!

I have to say since I decided to rejoin WW, I feel a huge burden has been lifted.

Tell me where I'm wrong.

I'll post my wt loss in a month.

• 13 weeks?!  You should stop at week 12 and take a 1 or 2 week active rest break.  I do nothing more than walk briskly on the treadmill.  No wonder you feel the way you do.  Also, you are not required to use EAS products.  If you only drink one shake, you have met the requirement to officially enter the challenge for consideration to be judged as an official champion (everyone is a champion who completes the 12 weeks in my book).  I DO take advantage of free day, sometime too much but it's there to shake your body up a bit.  You are not required to have cottage cheese and yogurt before bed.  You can eat whatever is protein and carb from the extensive list in the book and this website.

What happens after the 12 weeks is you maintain.  Below is a blog on how to do that.  I was 209lbs when I started.  I have been at it off and on since January 2009.  This can be done and maintained, this is body for life, not body for 12 weeks.

I don't know that you are wrong about WW.  You should do what works for you but I'm personally sold on how BFL works.
    After the Challenge–What Then?
    by: Michael Harris 3/19/2007

So, your results were good, and you’re looking forward to living a "normal life" now. Only one thing is bothering you–you’re not sure what that is going to look like. You are also more than a little worried about your ability to hold onto this newfound you, right?

First, the "good news." It never takes as much effort and suffering to maintain good health as it does to get it back. You won’t have to work out quite as hard, nor will you have to eat quite as strictly to maintain your physique. Now, the bad news–you’ll have to figure out how to do it on your own!

Continuing to eat the six smaller meals a day helps make your new life easier. Since the whole purpose of eating six small meals a day is to stabilize insulin levels and blood sugar levels, which minimizes cravings, mood swings, and fat formation, it makes sense to keep that up. If you lost weight and burned fat while on the six small meals regimen, and you are now at or below the weight you want to be, then you’ll need to add a bit to each meal. Eating 42 meals a week, you really only need to adjust upward about 50 to 100 calories to stop the weight loss cycle. As an example, if your "meal" is a Myoplex, all you would need to do is add about 3/4 of a tablespoon of flaxseed oil to the shake and you would add about 100 calories to that meal. Just an ounce more meat or a slightly larger carb would accomplish the same things. So, whatever you do, don’t go back to eating plates full of food at each opportunity. Make very small dietary adjustments, or you’ll be trying to catch up with the gigantic swings that can take place!

You’ll know when you get there with the diet. It will feel right. The key is to still stay away from the "trigger foods" that cause you issues, and to allow for the usual free day excesses as well. Sugary snacks should probably always be strictly a free day activity for all of us.

And what about exercise? Once again, you’ll need to find your plateau. I am sixty now, so I recover more slowly than most of you would. So, what I do in maintenance stage is work each body part every 6 or 7 days, and that takes about 30 to 40 minutes four days a week. Now, that means an extra workout day a week, but that’s not a problem since I work out at home. For me, working out each muscle group one day a week nicely maintains both mass and injury-free joints if I’m careful. I really don’t think anyone who is happy with their body needs to work out with weights more than a couple of hours a week, but if you enjoy it, and you still want to try to add mass, go for it! As far as cardio, I still do the 3 HIIT sessions a week, early in the morning on an empty stomach, and that will never change.

May I emphasize once again, because this does take trial and error, that the key is "small adjustments" so you don’t have huge swings. You will know that things are basically staying the way you want them by your weekly weigh ins and waist measurements, and if either gets more than 3 pounds or 1/2 inch out of where you want it, then make those adjustments and see what happens next week. Get your checkup regularly and keep tabs on those blood lipid levels.

Don’t let the maintenance phase get you down. It’s no different than owning and operating an auto. Checking the tires, the fluid levels and the operating systems are part of that responsibility, as are the same kinds of things with your body. This IS Body for LIFE, remember?
    Here's the info on active rest

Getting the Most out of Your Time Between Transformation Challenges
    by: Michael Harris  3/18/2007
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Are you planning another challenge after finishing the one you’re in now? If so, the material that follows should be of some interest and some help to you. It seems like roughly one-half of those who start and complete a 12 week transformation challenge are planning on going into another one in order to get into the shape that they want.

The first thing I want to ask you--actually I’m begging you--is to NOT GO IMMEDIATELY from one challenge right into the next one without a break. Here’s why. Whether you really feel like it or not, a transformation challenge takes a toll on you. The early rising, strenuous exercising and relatively strict dieting are good for you--but over 12 weeks time they can also wear you out. You deserve AND NEED a week or more of rest before you get back into the gym. Think about this: If you go right from one challenge to another, what you’re really doing is taking a 24 week challenge. That’s nearly 6 months, and it’s longer than most should be doing. Most second and subsequent challenges that occur without a break between tend to be very unproductive and unhappy experiences. They also tend to be more often plagued by injuries, illnesses and overtraining effects.

My favorite fitness author, Albuquerque attorney Clarence Bass, coined the phrase "active rest." That’s what you need to do between challenges. What you need to do, for at least one week and preferably two, is to stay clear out of the gym and away from the weight lifting routine entirely. And don’t worry about losing muscle mass, you won’t. The phenomenon called muscle memory will put you right back into the groove very quickly once you are rested. In fact, you might actually pick up some muscle mass due to the well-deserved rest. Your joints will thank you for it too.

Instead of lifting weights, do one or two of your favorite non-resistance training types of exercises. I do lots of calisthenics such as pushups, pullups, and squat jumps. I also do some bike riding or stair climbing. I take very long walks with my dog. Others enjoy things like swimming, mountain climbing, hiking, or even chopping wood and heavy gardening activity. This gets you out of the old groove, works different areas of your body, and still gives you plenty of fat-burning and fitness forming activity.

As for the diet, stick with the six meals a day. But, add in a bit of red meat if you are inclined, and experiment with some non-typical foods. This might be a good time to try a little of that natural peanut butter you’ve been craving. I eat a fair amount of non-tropical fruits and berries as carb portions during my rest periods. And I eat some lean red meat which has lots of creatine in it. Don’t make your two weeks off a two week free day or you’ll regret it.

Consider your two weeks active rest a working vacation. You’ll be amazed at your renewed strength, your enthusiastic outlook, and your youthful appearance following your time off. If you don’t do it, you’ll feel like you’re dragging a 100 pound anchor around with you for the next twelve weeks. Which one sounds like the best bet to you?

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• Kitty, In your profile, your objective was to lose 20 pounds. You made it 1/2 way there in 12 weeks. That is an accomplishment in itself. Where would you be if you hadn't started? I think the most important thing would be to lose 20 pounds of FAT. I would bet that you lost mostly fat and retained muscle mass. That is where BFL differs from most other systems.

Sure WW may make you lose more weight, but just losing weight is not healthy if you lose lean muscle along the way. I know plenty of people that have been on WW and lost weight, but were never healthy. Had no more energy, and were never truly happy with themselves. When they stopped WW, they gained weight back.

Regardless of which system you choose, it will have to become a part of your life and a way of life to keep the results.

There is a post by Champster of a lady who lost only 3 pounds in her challenge, but she totally transformed her body into what anyone would be happy with. It is amazing.

I wish you luck in the future and hope you obtain all of your goals. Be healthy no matter which road you choose.

• Kitty33 - I don't usually recommend this because I think everyone should get around on this site but you might want to check out the BFL Coffee Crew! thread (http://bodyforlife.com/community/boards/bfl/f/13/t/80.aspx).  It's only called that because most of us were up first thing in the morning and some did drink coffee.  I do not drink coffee but liked to use the thread for accountabily to myself...to get up get it done and then report back to everyone what I did.  There's lots of support all the time on that thread.  Go there, put your concern out and watch the responses fly in. :-)

• Yes Kitty33, Cuervo2669 is correct.  Here is the link from this site to KatieJ's results (http://bodyforlife.com/community/boards/bfl/f/17/p/1548/18313.aspx#18313).  Be sure to read the entire thread.  Katie even makes a comment about it.  Also Kitty33 were you true following the program and what you ate and reaching your 10's during your workouts?  Be honest with yourself.  Did you drink plenty of water and get enough sleep?  It all counts.

• It sounds like you are burnt out. I hope you get some rest and relaxation you need!!!! Every healthy lifestyle, as far as I am concerned, has it's own journey. If you truly feel as if BFL it is a daily burden then perhaps this isn't your path. I have known many friends who have attended weight watchers for years and I think they primarily need it for support. It still is work. It still is hard. When one of them hit a plateau they did learn the gym is a necessary needed tool.

Thinking about food every moment of the day, In WW you will be thinking about food every moment of the day too, in fact with any "diet" you think about food every second of the day.

I would encourage you to do what you think is best. Try talking to your doctor and ask his advice.

I love Wonder-Womans maintenance post… also I second the motion to post in the Coffee Crew thread. The thread is filled with veterans that have made BFL their daily life for months and years.

Good luck in your decision. I would hope you would take a couple of weeks off and come back but ultimately that falls on you.

• Kitty, I noticed that you have your body fat percentage listed on your profile. Have you taken it again lately?

You say you've been "following the challenge for about 13 weeks." 13 Weeks?

I have extensive experience with WW. Will you lose weight? Yes. Will it be all fat? Not so much. You are going to lose the muscle you've worked really hard for. You're also going to lose water and ten bucks a week.

A very small percentage of people who lose a considerable amount of weight on WW (and other diet plans) keep it off. Two thirds of those who gain it back gain even more (documented here). Unfortunately, what they gain back doesn't include the MUSCLE they lost. So the yo-yo dieting cycle makes people FATTER each time they gain their lost weight back.

Eating every few hours keeps your metabolism fired up and stops your body from storing fat. When you don't eat for more than a few hours, your blood sugar (glucose) drops and your body starts to store fat as it assumes a survival mode. It's not only the BFL program that suggests this approach. The National Institutes for Health and US Center for Disease Control also support it.

I'm sorry to see you go. Please do some research before deciding.

There's a girl out there warming up with your max.

• Kitty33...I searched some of your comments on this site.  You did this in 2000 and went from a size 12 to 8 so you know this works. :-)  You also had a few extras when it wasn't free day.  Perhaps give it another 12 weeks (after a slight break)?  I do suggest you find what works but if you slip up, no matter what plan you decide to follow, you won't get the results you seek.  Do you live anywhere near Nashville?  If you do consider joining a bunch of us for the weekend or just for the Saturday dinner.  Perhaps it will help you with motivation and in making your decision...you have until tomorrow to sign-up (https://tnchampweekend.com/).

• The program is only 12 weeks. Taking a break might cause weight gain but taking an active rest means continuing to eat healthy and working out doing lower intensity exercises and no weight for 1 or 2 weeks. I only buy EAS product when I am in a pinch and you only need to buy something from them once to be official.

Food:

Cottage cheese is not required. The eating part is very simple and you do not have to think about food all the time. Eating every three hours is simple if you plan ahead.

How hard is this....

Solid Food Breakfast (I microwave egg whites and oatmeal)

Shake

Lunch (I eat a package of tuna and rice plus veggies)

Shake

Dinner (Chicken **** and fruit)

Meal 6 (eat something light)

Exercise:

It is less than an hour day and easiest if done in the morning

Weight watchers:

I personally dislike weight watchesr because they do not promote eating non-processed foods that are nutritionally healthy.

I am not saying you can't eat healthy doing WW but you can try to cheat and bend nutritional rules and still stay within your allotted "POINT"

I do not see any reason for points when most everything has a nutrition label and you can track calories online or on certain smart phones.

Weight loss vs Fat loss:

I lost 75 pound before I ever started BFL. In the last 53 pounds I lost 43 lbs were from fat and 10 lbs were from muscle. Had I been doing a BFL program I would not have lost any muscle and maybe gained some putting me at a lower body fat percentage at a higher weight. I have spent 11 month trying to gain back the muscle mass I lost.

Weight watcher = only focused on weight loss (not fat loss) and nutritionally sound food is optional and you have to rely more on self control.

Doing BFL you will be stronger, healthier, and less fat (fat ratio lean body mass).

Bryan

FREE DAY: For me it equals Chineese buffet, pizza, beer, and relaxing plus more. You need the free day so you body will not feel starved and hold onto body fat.

“"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..." - Robert J. Collier”

http://thisisbryanok.blogspot.com/

• Hi Kitty,

It does sound as though you are burnt out and overwhelmed, I totally understand...

You definitely do not have to eat cottage cheese and yogurt, so many other things to eat, if I always had to eat that before bed I'd have quit a long time ago! You won't think about food all the time, it just becomes second nature, you eat every 2 1/2 - 3 hours and it will become such a habit to do.

Do you have to go to the gym? how about working out at home, even if it's just for a while...might be easier on you, I workout at home, I have a bench, dumbells and just got an EZ bar off Craigslist, I just know it would be too much for me to go to a gym 6 days a week, I enjoy it much more at home.

I always have a free day or actually it's not so much a whole free day...I don't even want to do that....so I eat some things I really want...CHOCOLATE anything:).....and don't even think about it anymore, I still lost weight, actually it made the weight come off more.....I started BFL at 175 pounds and am now 136...just lost another 1 and a half pounds.

At one point I hit a plateau...started to panic then learned I had to up my food intake and life heavier, it's actually fun to see how I'm progressing. I have learned so much from this program, went on WW and others before this and they don't compare at all....just my opinion.

For me this works, it doesn't feel like torture, I'm so used to it now...you do get used to it especially because you feel so good. I can also say that I eventually got the mind set of...Ok, I'm going to try this, see if it works and if I feel better and get on with my life, once I totally relaxed about it, it was so much easier. I went 1/2 mad sometimes on "diets" thinking about food all the time and I just had enough.

Right now it sounds as though you are just overwhelmed, I get it, I really do, you have to find foods you enjoy otherwise yes it will be awful and no one could stick with it, who wants that, as for the exercising....try them at home for a while then if you feel like it go to the gym, might take some stress off for a bit.

Right now though maybe take some time off from the workouts to re group....walk, do other kinds of exercise but eat right, then when you feel better and more relaxed about it you may want to give it another shot, just an idea...

Not that I think you are doing this but stick with the workouts as shown, don't do more cardio for example, you don't need it andmake sure you are lifting enough weight.

I have the EAS protein powder, put it in my oatmeal...chocolate powder of course:)...sometimes eat the protein bars but there are so many other brands too so maybe try some of them.

Whatever you decide I wish you all the luck and peace! Take care.

• I felt the same way-unfortunately many, many times before. I am on week 4 going on week 5(I think) and it is a way of life for me only now-- I know I am finishing this challenge and continuing the clean eating and the exercise. I am already seeing changes. Having started and stopped over and over again, I gained some knowledge of what works for me and what doesn't. I was a slow learner when it came to BFL. I hate cottage cheese and I am indifferent to yogurt and host of other authorized stuff. I eat scallops, shrimp, cod, sliced beef in salads, almond butter and almonds(on my free day I eat those almonds surrounded by chocolate ice cream and marshmallow!!) I keep it mixed up with foods I love and prepare them cleanly The trick is to educate yourself further and be resourceful.. Exercise is tough, especially with 2 children, but the goal for me is to put on solid muscle mass so I become a metabolic superwoman! It takes time and of course the right foods in the roght amounts but it almost ALWAYS will require the right perspective. This isn't for 12 weeks-make it work for you and it's for life!

• And one more thing--I have to eat every 2-2 1/2 hrs or I will kill someone. Muscle requires food--and good food too.

• I wish you well on Weight Watchers and hope it works out the way you would like, but if not, come back!

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• Hmmm. I am a "Lifetime member" of Weight Watchers and it's a name I hold in shame these days. BUT, I did the best I could with the information and program availabilty here. Does it "work" - if a number on the scale is your goal, then yes. What it also allowed me  to do is count points for the rest of my life and eat like a bird because I would have had no lean muscle to metabolize anything well. I also became obsessed with the scale and gauged my progress on that number and not how I felt internally and how solid I wasn't. I was "skinny-fat". I jiggled when I ran. my loose skin floated in the tub. I fit the same clothes more or less but needed spandex in them to keep all the skin together.

I thank heavens for BFL and how it has transformed my way of appreciating ME and my body.

Now my clothes slip on and the only thing I'd like support with is my chest! Shhh!

Weight loss and self appreciation is such a personal journey. I am just putting my story out there and letting you know that for me, WW was a temporary high. However, it didn't take long for me to gain back weight after NOT counting points as I had no muscle and no energy.

• Kitty,

I got this e-mail this morning and thought it might help some ... it is not BFL but it is true no matter whether you do BFL or WW or JC or whatever.

Lots of people ask me how to quickly and easily get fit. While I know they are hoping for a simple answer, the reality is that getting and staying fit is a lifestyle, not a quick fix.

So what do fit people do in their "healthy lifestyle"? Take a peek with the following 7 Habits of Highly Fit People:

Habit #1: They Don't Buy Junk

Fit people know that if they keep junk food in the house it will land on their waist sooner or later. So they don't buy any. Even buying junk food for your kids or spouse is not advised since 1) you'll likely eat some of it eventually, and 2) your loved ones shouldn't be eating that junk either. It's called junk for a reason.

Rid your home of chips, cookies, candy, baked goods, pre-packaged snacks and anything else that belongs in a vending machine. Replace the above with fresh fruit, veggies, nuts and other healthy whole foods snacks.

Habit #2: They Have Priorities

Fit people make exercise a priority. Along with keeping a job, paying the bills and going to the doctor, exercise is an important part of their lives. What I've found is that fit people put exercise before leisure time. Sure, fit people enjoy leisure, but it is scheduled around their workout time.

Treat exercise time with the same importance that you would a business meeting or trip to the dentist.

Habit #3: They Stop When Full

Fit people stop eating when they feel full. Sound simple? It is, but how many times have you stuffed yourself simply to clear your plate? Or how many times have you eaten another piece of cake despite being stuffed?

The next time you feel full, take it as a sign to stop eating. Yes, even if your plate isn't empty.

Habit #4: They Push Themselves

Not only do fit people make time to go to the gym, they challenge themselves during each workout. While it is easy to simply go through the motions while exercising, you're cheating your body out of great results when you don't push yourself. Exercise should make you sweat, make your muscles burn, and leave you with a feeling of accomplishment.

Find ways to make each workout more challenging. For competitive people, the best way to push yourself is to exercise with a friend of similar strength. Another great way to challenge yourself is to set small attainable goals. These goals could be to push heavier weight, to sprint longer, or to do cardio at a higher intensity setting.

Habit #5: They Don't Eat and Watch

Fit people know that eating in front of the T.V. is mindless eating. When your attention is on your entertainment and not on your food, then you'll be less tuned in to what and how much ends up in your mouth. Eating in front of the T.V. is also very habit forming. Ever notice how you crave munchies just as a reflex of sitting in front of the T.V.?

Eat before or after your entertainment and pay attention to what and how much goes into your mouth.

Habit #6: They Drink Water

Fit people drink lots of water. And not just in addition to other beverages, but instead of them. Water is their main drink, while other drinks are occasional treats. Calorie-filled drinks are one of the quickest ways to consume excess calories which quickly turn into fat. Consider water your beverage of choice. Drink plenty of it each day and drink other beverages only a few times each week.

Habit #7: They Are Supported

Fit people don't leave their motivation to chance. They know that if their personal trainer, boot camp instructor or workout partner is waiting for them, then they are less likely to skip a workout. It is so easy to hit snooze or to talk yourself out of the gym as soon as your behind hits the couch after work. Fit people take the option of skipping out of the equation.

Want instant support? Call or email me today to get started on your own customized fitness plan.

I hope that these habits have inspired you to make a change for the fitter in your own life.

If you already do some of these habits then congratulations – you are on your way to a better body. Make an effort to incorporate the rest of the habits to take your results to the next level.

If none, or very few, of these habits describe your lifestyle, then I've got good news – you now have 7 effective new habits to start that will get you some awesome results. Don't try to tackle all 7 at once – pick one or two to add each week and gradually work up to all 7.