Free day?

• Ok, Here is Ray's take on The "free day". For all the newbies, I would not take advantage of the free day for at least 5 or 6 weeks into the program. The book does indeed say that you can eat what you want for free day. I have completed 2 challenges and I still use my free day as a reward. I might even have a beer or two. Free day is just that, free day. I never experienced any guilt because I felt I earned the free day. Word to the wise. If you have eating disorders and tend to binge, I would avoid the free day.  

"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today"

• Armster....I am not nor have ever been a junk food junkie. For me, it is wine on weekends and bread. ANYWAYS, when I eat bread now in a weak moment I puff up like a blow fish and I feel guilty towards breaking my momentum to myself.

Seriously, did you enjoy eating that food as you got further into your transformation - cause you look fabulous...did your body not just hate it after awhile and make you physically sick?

• First of all, thanks for the compliment C3.

Secondly, I always use my free day.  The truth is, without the free day I personally would not have made it through the challenge.  I need to know that I can still have a burger, or my favourite, chips.  Instead of feeling guilty after it, I felt great because it reinforced in me that  a) the program is definitely for me, and b) I never want to go back to the place I was at before i transformed.

My thoughts are this:  I don't think we should collectively hinder the newbies from doing what they want on free day instead we can offer them ideas on how to approach it if they aren't comfortable with eating crud all day.   The purpose for this approach is twofold i) it's very important for them to know what they felt like before they started the program ii) It serves as motivation for the rest of the week not because they look forward to it necessarily but because they look back at it - probably a combination of those two psychologies on that particular day. Instead, I would encourage them to take their free days and do with it what they please.  After a few, they will adjust it to what suits them best but the free day is something they should be working out on their own.

"Forget the program and all that it entails during that day."

• I agree, Armster, bc I am on my fourth week and that free day is what keeps me going. Sure, it matters less to me today than week one and week two, and yes, I binge that day and have made myself sick, but so far it's only encouraged me to do that much better during the week. I've had no "slip ups" at all so far, but that could change :)!

Thanks for the good info, all.

"The joy of life is the fruit of discipline" -S. Randall

• I agree Armster. Well said. It is a personal journey, and I respect the opinions of those that go before me that have had success like you have.

I too, do not want to go back to who I was pre-BFL. Ick.

• How can I follow that?

Good stuff, guy's!!!

"What you put in, is what you are going to get back."

- Terry