Please Help!!! We are Losing steam after 2 1/2 weeks

• My wife (Sheila) and I (Noel) began the BFL challange on Monday August 2nd, 2010. We have stuck to the fitness and Nutrition plan without cheating, but the issue is that we haven't seen big weight loss, or inch losses and both my wife and I are a little dismayed. We are committed to finishing the challange, but we need a moral boost, some encouragement, and any tips that would be helpful (ie supplements, nutrition, weight training and cardio advice). We are midway through our third week and really need some support and would appreciate any advice or encouragement.   

I am a 32 year old male

Height: 5'9"

Weight: 221lbs, my

Chest Measurement: 47"

Waist: 48"

Arms: Right 14.5", Left 14"

Thighs: Right 24.5” Left 24.5”

Calf: Right 16” Left 15.75”

As you can see I carry most of my weight around my mid section.

My wife is a 29 year old female

Height: 5’4”  

Weight: 211 lbs

Chest: 40.75”

Waist: 41”

Hips: 49.5

Arm: right 14.25” left 14”

Thigh: Right 27.5”, Left 27.5”

Calf: Right 17.5”, Left 17.25”

We work out at 5:30am to 6:30am (this is to accommodate a 10 minute cardio warm up)

Our diet

7:15 am: ½ cup egg beaters with 2 tbsp of fat free cheddar cheese, and 2 tbsp of salsa, 1 slice of whole wheat toast and 1 reduced fat turkey link 8 to 10 oz of water

10:15 am: Myoplex lyte shake with a small handful of mixed nuts with 8 to 10 oz of water or an EAS AdvantEdge carb control bar with 8.

1:15 pm: 1 5oz pouch of tuna mixed with 1tsp of light mayo, ¼ cup cottage cheese, and 6 baby carrot sticks with 8 to 10oz of water.

4:15 pm: 1 hardboiled egg, 1 medium apple sliced with 1 tbsp of natural peanut butter with 8 to 10oz of water.

7:15 pm: 1 (6 oz) grilled chicken ***, with 1 small sweet potato (portion size) and mixed veggie medley with 8 to 10oz of water.

10:15 pm: two scoops of Myoplex protein powder mixed with 1 cup of fat free skim milk. I also drink 8 to 10oz of water.  

We are sleeping about 5.5 to 7 hours a night.

Our cheat and rest day is Sunday, and we usually eat out for breakfast, lunch and dinner

We drink plenty of water every day, and try not over do it on the cheat day.

• Hi Noel!

Trust in the plan. The first weeks are setting the ground work for the rest of the challenge. You are getting the metabolic furnace revved up. Not everyone sees changes right away. For many it starts happening in the last 4-6 weeks where the changes start coming faster.

I would for sure not even look at the scale. Take your tape measurements and pay attention to how YOU feel and how your clothes are fitting.

I'm sure if you provide some specifics, like age, start weight and some examples of you meal plans the amazing people here can give you some great feed back!

• We're going to need more information! Please post the age height weight of each of you. Then post two days sample menu for each of you.

In general are you hitting your high points on your lifting and your cardio?

How are your free-days? Are they all out binge fests?

In relation to your current weight and age how close to goal are you? How much do you have to lose?

• So you both expected to see weight loss this soon?

Most women don't see major changes until week 8 and after so they have to be diligent and stick with it ... as for guys it really varies.  

My first challenge last year I didn't lose a pound the first two weeks but ended up with a 28lb loss overall.  Second challenge I lost 6 right away and then nothing until week 11 ...

Without seeing what your nutrional plan I can't tell you if you are following it correctly or not ...

Biggest thing is do not quit right away due to not seeing changes.  There are all kinds of posts about it ... in particular look for Mike Harris's Woman's Success Document ..

• Alot also depends on what type of eating plan you have been on prior. I personally was eating very low carb and did not expect (nor did I) lose a single pound during the first four weeks due to the transition.

HOW ARE YOU GUYS FEELING? I know I started feeling pretty GREAT right away.

• Sheila and Noel,

Don't lose heart, You CAN do this!!! Know there are 1000s and 1000s of people who have succeeded and you will too. Stick to the plan by the book for 12 weeks and you will see amazing results.  

I am a male 5'-10" I was 208 when I started my first challenge and after 12 weeks I was 187 and down 2 pant sizes. The changes really started happening for me in the last month. So KEEP GOING!! You have momentum now don't stop. You will succeed!!!

llpirata is right. If you need some specifics and advice post some stats and what a normal meal plan looks like and you work outs and then the great people on the forum can give you some feedback.

Together we are stronger.

All the best

Orrin

• It has only been 2.5 weeks. This program is not a fast results program. You have to have faith a give it your all for 12 weeks. Step away from the scale and only measure every 4 weeks.

Bryan

“"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..." - Robert J. Collier”

http://thisisbryanok.blogspot.com/

• Hey there, Remember it took Aang about 3 seasons to finally master fire bending AND he was the Avatar ;)

I'm in week 8 and I get a little frustrated too, but all of the support here and first hand experience shared by the ones who have been there done that REALLY helps to keep me going. I know it in my mind to be subconscious to be true but I have to sometimes make my conscious and subconscious reconcile with each other. They like to disagree sometimes. Also, print out that success document I read it in the beginning and I pull it out and read it a couple of times a week to see that it IS and WILL BE  ok :)

Committ to it and trust that at the end of the 12 weeks you will succeed. It's hard hard hard work, I know, but it will get easier...and then harder again and then you will come here and post and feel oh so much better. :)

Good luck!!

Tia~

http://journeytosix.blogspot.com

You can choose the pain of discipline or the pain of regret...

• I am a 32 year old male

Height: 5'9"

Weight: 221lbs, my

Chest Measurement: 47"

Waist: 48"

Arms: Right 14.5", Left 14"

Thighs: Right 24.5” Left 24.5”

Calf: Right 16” Left 15.75”

As you can see I carry most of my weight around my mid section.

My wife is a 29 year old female

Height: 5’4”  

Weight: 211 lbs

Chest: 40.75”

Waist: 41”

Hips: 49.5

Arm: right 14.25” left 14”

Thigh: Right 27.5”, Left 27.5”

Calf: Right 17.5”, Left 17.25”

We work out at 5:30am to 6:30am (this is to accommodate a 10 minute cardio warm up)

Our diet

7:15 am: ½ cup egg beaters with 2 tbsp of fat free cheddar cheese, and 2 tbsp of salsa, 1 slice of whole wheat toast and 1 reduced fat turkey link 8 to 10 oz of water

10:15 am: Myoplex lyte shake with a small handful of mixed nuts with 8 to 10 oz of water or an EAS AdvantEdge carb control bar with 8.

1:15 pm: 1 5oz pouch of tuna mixed with 1tsp of light mayo, ¼ cup cottage cheese, and 6 baby carrot sticks with 8 to 10oz of water.

4:15 pm: 1 hardboiled egg, 1 medium apple sliced with 1 tbsp of natural peanut butter with 8 to 10oz of water.

7:15 pm: 1 (6 oz) grilled chicken ***, with 1 small sweet potato (portion size) and mixed veggie medley with 8 to 10oz of water.

10:15 pm: two scoops of Myoplex protein powder mixed with 1 cup of fat free skim milk. I also drink 8 to 10oz of water.  

We are sleeping about 5.5 to 7 hours a night.

Our cheat and rest day is Sunday, and we usually eat out for breakfast, lunch and dinner

We drink plenty of water every day, and try not over do it on the cheat day.    

• You should cut out the natural peanut butter, cheese, and nuts. That is too many extra fats (even if the cheese is  "fat free") Dont expect to see alot of change in the first few weeks. Keep up the good work and a before picture should be plenty of motivation too stay the course.

“"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..." - Robert J. Collier”

http://thisisbryanok.blogspot.com/

• Okay,

I forgot to say don't give up now! Your bodies are probably FREAKING OUT about whats going on here. I mean they're probably like "WTH is this $hi+"? You've got to give yourself to a chance to adjust and start losing fat.  I STRONGLY STRONGLY recommend that you get rid of your scale until week six. I mean seriously get it OUT OF YOUR HOUSE and do not step on it.

Drop the peanut butter, cheese & nuts immediately. Like Bryan says you are only supposed to have 1tbs of healthy fat per day and that includes any olive oil you cook with. BFL is a low fat plan.  I'm also iffy on the light mayo (try fat free if you HAVE to have mayo many prefer mustard or vinegarr) and the breakfast link. what is that? a sausage? All meats should be lean meats.

Otherwise your eating looks good except I'm not positive you are getting enough protein. For your wife it should be 20-25g per meal for you 25-30g per meal.  So for breakfast that would be 3/4 - 1 whole cup of egg white (drop that sausage thingy).  Your 4:15 meal is FOR SURE not enough protein there is only like 3g of protein in one hard boiled egg.

For your late night meal I don't think you need two scoops of myoplex. You'll do alot better having cottage cheese as a meal that late right before bed.

In short, clean up the menu get rid of the scale and don't give up.

YOU CAN DO THIS!

ALSO, You didn't say HOW YOU ARE FEELING...

(oh yeah and see if you can get more hours sleep in anywhere I know its hard but when you lift heavy you really need eight hours a night)

• Hey  Noel and Sheila,

Firstly, dont be so hard on yourselves, it didn't take you 2 weeks to get out of shape so don't expect it to take 2 weeks to see results.

Try to focus on what IS happening right now rather than worrying about what you want to happen.  Are you getting stronger? Can you run further without getting tired? Do you have more energy? Do you feel proud of yourselves for making a change? All of these things need to happen for you to achieve weight loss, so if you can become aware of them, the rest of your body will catch up!

Don't get down about the weight loss, if you stick to the plan it will come.

Let us know how you get on!

• First of all, your well ahead of the game in the fact that you have each other!!! Two can do so much when they agree.  Secondly, all of these post are correct! Just wait until your fourth and sixth week. My wife I are doing this together and believe me, as pastors, the stress levels can go out the roof so there are many times one of says "not today" then the other says "especially today lol"  Forget that your even doing the challenge, follow the plan, and eat in moderation on the free days!

Remember Failure isn't final until you Quit- John Maxwell: so, DON"T QUIT.

Lee

• FIRST 6 WEEKS OF THE CHALLENGE! old post by BFLMike

1. WEEK ONE: Confusion and stress are usually your first visitors if you’ve never done anything like this before. In fact, it’s best to visit the gym or get your home gym set up ahead of time and do some trials of the exercises. It’s also best to plan an entire two weeks’ worth of menus before you start, so you don’t find yourself running out in the middle of the night to buy authorized food. Stick to the proteins and carbs that are listed on page 83 of the book and you can’t go wrong. The next things you’ll experience in week one are soreness and sleeplessness. Soreness is natural initially, and unavoidable if you’re working hard. Don’t waste your money on pain relievers; they don’t work on it at all. Sleeplessness and headaches and lethargy are all first week experiences for most, and they are caused by the body trying to adapt to better foods, and also beginning to expel the junk that has built up in your body fat all along. Drink lots of water!

2. WEEK TWO: Soreness and the dietary adjustments may continue during the second week. But, you’ll also notice that the diet will begin to feel a bit more natural and the exercises will seem a bit easier. You should see a little bit of strength gain at the end of week 2. There will be some scale loss for men, but almost none for women, and no great noticeable changes in the mirror yet, except that your skin and eyes may look brighter and clearer.

3. WEEK THREE: You’ll be confidently doing the exercises by now, and the diet will seem almost normal tasting to you. Your taste buds will have adjusted from all the sweets, spicy foods, and salty stuff and the fresh foods and pure foods will taste good. Most men will begin to see some changes in the mirror at the end of this week and should be able to see more scales movement. Women might have lost as much as 3 to 5 pounds by now, though no weight loss at all or even a slight gain by the end of week three is not at all uncommon.

4. WEEK FOUR TO SIX: Weeks 4 through 6 are the golden weeks. You’ll find yourself feeling great–even exhilarated–which is a welcome change from the sleeplessness, aches and pains and sluggishness from weeks 1 through 3. The guys will see quickening weight loss and a visible change in the size of the old beer gut or love handles. Women will see some changes, but usually more modest in nature than the guy. So, if you are doing a couple’s challenge, be prepared for the uneven (don’t say "unfair" just yet) nature of your changes versus your husband’s situation.

Both men and women will see significant changes in strength and stamina. Sleep habits will settle down. The diet will begin to become almost second nature and the exercise and multiple meal events will become a regular and comfortable part of your life. Especially for women it is extremely important to continue to advance in your weight training goals, lifting to failure rather than simply walking through the exercise. Unless you strain to lift, and really do hit it hard, you are essentially wasting your time doing the strength training.

If you measure them at this point, you’ll likely see that blood pressure is lower; cholesterol and triglycerides are lower, and that resting pulse is lower. This is also the time, though, that small nagging injury or pain can gets worse. Be extremely careful about working sore joints such as knees and especially shoulders. If the shoulder joints are sore, don’t lift weights overhead. It is not worth it to develop a rotator cuff or neck problem at this point.

Be of good cheer! Stay the course. There are good things coming! Patience is needed, especially for women.

• Ditto to everything said above, definitely toss the PB...for now...and the cheese and nuts, it will make a huge difference, this is what I did when I hit a plateau and it worked, do you like oatmeal? I can't tolerate it plain so toss a scoop of chocolate protein powder in it, it's so good.

I also think the 2 scoops of Myoplex at night is perhaps too much especially with the milk, right before bed anyway, also not sure what you're up to on the free days, many people take a free meal so it's not all the day free eating, that makes a big difference too, for me it's chocolate!

The dreaded scale can make you feel terrible, I hit a plateau and it drove me mad looking at the darn thing, it even went up sometimes...muscle weighs more than fat so you can't go by the scale, as said before, do you feel better, have more energy etc....as time goes on you will feel great doing this. Make sure you're hitting your 10's with the exercise, that along with cleaning up the eating a bit will really help, as time goes by you will see results, keep going, I know it's hard in the beginning, really challenge yourself with the weights and cardio, you can do it:)