Deep down everyone knows champions don't do Freedays

• Well not in the traditional sense, a cheat meal certainly but an all out binge, I dont think so but I can understand why Bill phillips included the freeday, its because you dont need to be a champion to succeed,a moderate change is better than no change and most people would have dropped out if they freeday was not there

• There are physiological benefits to relaxing the diet one day a week. The benefit is not just psychological. No, I don't think champions do an "all out binge" but I do believe many of them eat much higher calories, fat, and carbs on their free days.

• It has to do with Leptin levels and preventing your body thinking its starving and lowering your metabolism. The mental benefit helps people with food addiction/cravings.

“"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..." - Robert J. Collier”

http://thisisbryanok.blogspot.com/

• These two articles run through the science behind why freedays are necessary interesting reading

www.burnthefatblog.com/.../cheating_on_your_diet.php

www.burnthefatblog.com/.../cheating_on_your_diet_part_2.php

Personally for me this is for life and if that means it takes 2 challenges rather than 1 but at the end i dont feel so deprived i stuff myself and end up back where i started im cool with that.

"The future will be made up of the present. By taking good care of the present, we take good care of the future." Thich Nhat Hanh

• here's how I Imagine one of the Champions journal looking:

Sunday, June 9th 2010:  FREEDAY !  Today is a freeday, so I only ran 9 miles at a 7mph pace, then I only did 45 miles on the bike, and since it's a free day I skipped the swim portion.  Well, by "skipped" I mean I only swam 1.5 miles.

I decided to really indulge my sweet tooth,  and had 3 chocolate chips.

For lunch I totally went wild and had a grilled chicken bre ast, and a double helping of raw spinach and broccolli, that I picked fresh from the garden.

After lunch I went for a light run, 7 miles uphill with a 40 lb. pack and ankle weights.

for dinner my friends and I ordered a pizza, and I totally went off the deep end and had three full sniffs with the box lid open.  Oh my god it was awesome.

After dinner I did a couple sets of power cleans, then split a couple cords of firewood that I then donated to the local orphanage.

After chopping all that wood, I was feeling like a little snack was in order, so I went to the grocery store and walked halfway down the aisle with all the chips.  After looking at the chips I felt like a beer, so I went to the beer cooler and looked at all the cold beer.  Then I bought a bottle of water and a carrot.

What a great day.  I love my freedays.  Being a champion is awesome.

Then I imagine the champion went to sleep under a blanket of stars and moon beams, and woke up under a rainbow and rode a unicorn to the gym.

Thayerphotos.com

• Bahahahahahaha, I just sprayed my coffee on the keyboard. :)

The number of people that fail is directly proportionate to the number of people that give up :)

• Well my guyfriend who takes me out goes out to ghengas Khan Mongolian stir fry grill oemtimes and Ive asked him to start taking me there eveyr week so my cheat meal wont be so bad. You get rawmeat, pick out from sausage chicken pork fish turkey steak pepperonie then pick from your spices whtever you want to spie itwit then your vegies and sauces and then pick out hat bread you want they do have brown rice, so i can get steaka nd chicken and turkey and tomatoe sauce and brown ice and get them to stirfry it its so freaking good its unbelievable but not quite sucha  binge with no bad carbs its better then going to other places though.

• When I go to genghis grill I load up on all the seafood items and tofu and I get brown rice instead of noodles.

“"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..." - Robert J. Collier”

• I am with you on this post. I really only havea cheat meal or wine etc.. on my free day. I got too tired of being sick and bloated after free days.

• Forgive my brazen interruption but I beg your pardon...  I do enjoy my free day.  I always have.  I'm not glutton, but eat whatever I want on free day and I do it without guilt.  In fact I've gotten quite a bit of enjoyment and empowerment out of "working" my free days. 

One free day I'll enjoy nothing other than complex carbs all day long.  Another free day I enjoyed an evening of wine with my otherwise bfl approved meals.  On another free day I didn't plan anything, just ate what came along.  Free day is yours to do with what you want. 

6 pack I will agree with you on one thing you said...I don't binge on any food. 

It's amazing how much better you learn to deal with your weight issues when you really admit that you have spent years allowing food to manage you instead of managing the food yourself.  

It's just food.  It's not going to run off the plate in to your mouth, you have to pick up the fork and do it yourself.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Oh and Thayer, your post is friggin' hysterical....!!    I wish you would all join us in Nashville for the TN Champions weekend, you'd be surprised at just how "normal" we all are.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Champster09

"It's amazing how much better you learn to deal with your weight issues when you really admit that you have spent years allowing food to manage you instead of managing the food yourself.  

It's just food.  It's not going to run off the plate in to your mouth, you have to pick up the fork and do it yourself."

I am going to save this. Thanks for the wisdom!

Bryan

• Here is the way I see it; Have you guys read what the Champions eat on their Free Days? Popcorn, Steak, Hot Rolls, M&M's.....it doesn't mean they binge, but they ENJOY WHATEVER THEY WANT ON THEIR FREE DAY. This is put into the program for a reason. Bill Phillips says to eat what you want. And that OVEREATING one day a week helps prevent your body from thinking it's starving. Plus, there are many psychological reasons this works: It keeps you from cheating during the week. This has worked for me. I'm only on Challenge One, Week 3; but I've already lost 4lbs, and feel FANTASTIC while thouroughly enjoying my "Free Days" - -  - -- My body is seriously resistant to losing weight for whatever reason, but this is totally working.

The blogs listed below are also helpful.

The day is there for you to use. USE IT!

• OMG Thayerphotos... I hereby nominate your post for post of the year!

"Rode a Unicorn to the Gym"

Funniest thing I've read on this board... EVER!

• OMG Thayerphotos... I hereby nominate your post for post of the year!

"Rode a Unicorn to the Gym"

Funniest thing I've read on this board... EVER!