Week 9 and so freakin hungry

• Hey everyone

I know this has been asked before but couldnt find any of the posts so could someone help me out. I'm C1W9D3 and I'm so freaking hungry I dont know what to do with myself. My stomach is growling at me at around 1hr 45mins and its driving me crazy. It doesnt help that I am so unbelievably bored at work that I'm already clock watching and that just makes it worse. I've listed what I'm eating incase that will help.

Meal 1 - 7.45am 1 serving of protein shake (20g protein) with water and high fibre, low sugar muesli dry (20g carbs)

Meal 2 - 10am 2 x protein panckakes (26g protein & 27g carbs)

Meal 3 - 12.30pm Tuna and 1/2 cup beans and salad

Meal 4 - 3pm WW wrap chicken with pepper and onion

Meal 5 - 6pm Sweet potatoe, steam veg and Kangaroo steak

Meal 6 - 8.30pm Cottage cheese and an orange

I fill half my plate with veggies for meals 3, 4 and 5 but any other suggestion would be greatly appreciated.   

"The future will be made up of the present. By taking good care of the present, we take good care of the future." Thich Nhat Hanh

• Hey! I just read your info, I feel like we have very similar goals. I am starting my challenge today. About two years ago I did a figure competition and dieting very restrictively for 6 months. It worked but then gained everything back. I am starting at 146 today and want to be in the 130s. How has the 9 weeks been? As for being hungry, I can remember those days. In between what meals are you the most hungry? When is your free day? You might want to try to change or switch up your carb source in the morning to a slower digestive carb so that your body takes longer to digest and you dont get as hungry. For example, instead of beans at meal 3 try tuna and 1/2 a sweet potato or tuna and 1/2 a cup of brown rice. Same with 10 a.m meal maybe oatmeal, with whey protein. A little fat may also help you from being so hungry. How much water are you drinking? Hope this helps! Your doing great!

• Hey ct0328

The 9 weeks have gone really well im only down 4.5lbs but ive lost over 8 inches yay. I think im just hitting the the week 9 wall but from everything ive read this is when your results notch up a gear if you can stick with the program so i'm gona grin and bear it lol.

Water is over 3 litres (sorry not sure what that is in ozs). Im hungriest in the morning after my workout meals 3 and 4 keep me going pretty well i think its just that my systems so revved up after training that it just consumes everything really quickly. Might try swapping the pancakes with the tuna and beans see if that helps as its one of the most filling meals i have at work.

Keep in contact as would be good to see how you get on. I will definitley be doing a second challenge in some form even if the main focus is on the food. Although going to the gym just "happens" now after 4 years of habit building if you know what i mean, getting to this way of eating just "happening" without me thinking about is gona take a bit longer than 12 weeks.

Thanks for your suggestions

Sian

"The future will be made up of the present. By taking good care of the present, we take good care of the future." Thich Nhat Hanh

• Any other suggestions

• I want to help but I feel like I'm stumped!  All I can think of is adding more veggies or else aiming for BULKIER food choices. Like ones with more volume.  On days when I'm hungry I'll use cooked carrots as my carb source for a few meals. You have to eat ALOT of them to get the same amount of carbs in say corn or another grain. So the food is alot bulkier which makes it more filling.

Can you answer the other question too about when you are hungriest? Is it before every single meal? Are there any meals that you don't get hungry 1 hour and 45 minutes after?

• oh yeah I am also a firm believer in the idea that hunger signals that our body is dipping into our fat stores. So increased hunger like you are experiencing should be a harbinger of greater weight loss to follow.

• llpirata

Im hungriest between meals 1, 2 and 3. Meal one is straight after the gym so the fact that my protein source is liquid probably doesnt help here but I'm quite happy only waiting 2 hours between 1 & 2.

It 2 & 3 that is getting me I'm clock watching might try changing up when i eat things see if that helps

• Hey!

Honestly if your stomach is growling you are hungry, I just don't believe we should suffer with that....A. we won't stick with this and B. who the heck wants to suffer!

A few things...and I'm not the expert here but my tum was growling for a while there so I know exactly how you feel... are you eating enough good fats, olive oil. PB etc, are the portions enough...I added a tablespoon of olive oil a day and it helped plus the weight started coming off, also added more veggies.

Good luck and may the rumbles stop!

• Here are a couple of things Mike Harris posted on the subject:

hunger in Week 10. I copied this one off the old GB when another BFLer was struggling with hunger (at 8 weeks into a challenge). It's from BFLMike:

"It sounds like you are experiencing "real hunger" from a body that really is going through the process of adjusting its metabolic rate upward. That’s a good thing, as the furnace really gets fired up! But, what is also happening is that the body doesn’t "like" burning fat for fuel because it is programmed to hold some in reserve and so that is why you are so hungry–you’re losing weight rather quickly at this point in the challenge. The cure is to add about 1/4 more protein to each of your meals that bracket your workout. So, if you work out in the morning, add more protein to meal 6 and meal 2. If you add carbs you may interrupt this fat burning which I don’t think you want to do! "

WEEKS 10, 11 and 12!

Many are talking about how hard the last two or three weeks are. The feelings are described as feeling "weak" or "lethargic" or having a "who cares" attitude. 1. Here is what is happening in those last weeks. Fat stores are being consumed, and the body doesn’t run as efficently and happily on fat as it does on blood sugar from high glycemic carbs. Muscle density and volume has increased, and the needs of your body to heat and feed that muscle have increased.

All this takes more energy, and if you don’t put more food in your body, the energy deficit grows, which means you will shrink up more. Muscles are getting fatigued and suffering micro damage from the hard workouts.

Healing is taking a bit longer due to the other things I just mentioned. In other words, folks, you have done a bang up job of working and dieting like a trooper and the last three weeks will be the payoff!

But, it will come with pain and both physical and mental struggles because your body and your mind will fight you to the bitter end to avoid giving up those past significant fat stores!

To win, you don’t need to feel glorious and joyful, or even look that way, but you need to feel and act indestructible and victorious. You are almost there!!

You CAN do this–and the finish line is almost in sight! If you give up now, you’ve wasted the whole 2 months before now! Give it all you have–drink tons of water–take leisurely walks in the light and the cool of the day–and speak and think good thoughts! Don’t focus on YOU, but focus on the new you at the end of these few more weeks!

Hang in there–pray hard–and don’t give up the prize for something incredibly stupid like a package of M & Ms!!  

I hope these help.  

• I find that cottage cheese and an apple work good for my second meal and my third meal I have 2 HB eggs and low fat yogurt. I was also having problems with hunger (I am C1W5D6) and since I made the switch I haven’t felt hunger unless I don’t get enough water - I do eat this daily and although I am not too worried about getting burnt out on eating the same thing everyday I do worry I should be varying my foods more especially my protein source.

• At week 9 it's not uncommon to feel more hungry.  You might want to measure your protein until you get this under control.  If you find you are only eating 3 oz of protein, try increasing it to 4 oz.  This should help immediately also make sure you're getting your daily dose of healthy fat.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Me again....I also changed a snack to an apple with either string cheese or almonds and really found this helped with the hunger and I agree with the adding a bit more protein with the healthy fat, good luck!

• Hey guys

I take two flaxseed oil capsules in the morning due you think adding another two in in the afternoon might help?