So confused

• Hello!

I am at the end of week 7 of my first challenge and although I'm doing fairly well, I am getting confused at what "should be" happening at this point in the challenge. I also know that every person and challenge is different but I think I need reassurance that what I am doing is working. I was frustrated at my 4 week picture when changes weren't showing at all in the picture and all the wonderful support I received told me not to worry too much about it and that the changes and weight loss would come. Sure enough, around the end of week 5, beginning of week 6, I dropped quite a bit of scale weight, but for the last two weeks I haven't seen any more weight loss and although my body seems to be changing some (clothes fit a little looser), I'm not 100% sure I'm getting the results I should be getting at this point of the challenge. I've lost a total of 8 pounds and have definitely become stronger and possibly a little leaner, is there anything else I should be doing (I'm following the program basically to a T) at this point to get the best results possible? Thanks in advance for all replies and support!

---Jamey :)

• The one thing you can do is to stop worrying about the weight.  No one knows what you weigh unless you tell them.  I know, from all the up and down dieting I've done, that I weigh 10 lbs more than I did wearing the same size I do today and I'm a size 6, who cares at this point. :-)  WIth the weightlifting you are doing, your weight is going to be off.  Why are you allowing the scale weight to over rule the obvious?  You said, " I haven't seen any more weight loss and although my body seems to be changing some (clothes fit a little looser), I'm not 100% sure I'm getting the results I should be getting."  You are getting the results you should be getting.  Pay attention to what's happening!  This not your typical way to lose weight and the scale is not your friend through this process.  

As for your photo comparison, did you have someone else look at those photos or were you the only person who saw them?  I ask because I went through the same thing.  I didn't see any changes but when I shared the photos with others, they pointed out things I couldn't see, once they did that, I saw the changes.  Hang in there.  Seems to me you are on track for a very good finish. :-)

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• Do you feel better and move more easily with greater flexibility?  Are you in better shape than you were when you started?  If so then it has all been worth it.  The alternative would have been to do nothing at all and stay the same as you were.

12 weeks is an arbitrary amount of time for this challenge.  Folks seem to get caught up in it for some reason.  Each day that you eat healthier and get exercise makes a better you.

As much inspiration as champions' before and after pictures provide, sometimes I think that they do harm as well because folks think that is the norm for a 12 week challenge...it is not.  Those pictures were specifically chosen to show those that had the most extreme positive results.  EAS and now Abbott Labs wants people to buy their supplements and drinks, the way to do that is by showing those that had the best results.  If they would have posted the "average" results then folks would not have been as inspired to buy the products.

Please feel good about yourself and your progress so far...there will be lots of 12 week periods after this one to continue making progress.

C1W9D2  

• JamesK,

This is the first time I have entered anything to this forum.  perhaps some adivce.  When I initially signed up for the challenge 6 weeks ago, I purchased the starter pack for GETTING LEAN and STRONG.  That came with some Betagen and Muscle Armor.  My question is, should I buy more of those or should I ween off of them to start "cutting up" as I am on the second half of the 12 weeks.  If not, can you offer some advice?

Thanks,

SDJ

• I would be interested in the answer to the last post too. I have heard that you should stop taking betagen the last few weeks of a challenge? any tips?  

• @ deejay7 - You can always call EAS for supplement advice. I've called on  them during my challenge and they are VERY helpful and friendly folks.

@ forgiveandforget - I think you're having really good results! Don't give up. Keep pushing all the way through the 12 weeks and you'll be glad you did. Everybody is different, so everyone isn't going to have the same results. Some of the champions before and after pics still blow me away when I look at them. Some of these winners had incredible transformations. eEven champion Mark Unger said in week 10, I believe, when he looked at himself in the mirror, he became really discouraged and thought about not even sending his packet in for the contest because he thought he had no chance of winning, but his last 2 weeks took off! And as you probably know, he was a Grand Champ a few years back. Just remember, even if you're not where YOU want to be within the 12 weeks, you're still in a MUCH better place than if you had quit or not started at all.  And even if we don't win the BFL contest, we've still WON in life because of the lifestyle changes we've made!  And remember, this is called Body for LIFE, not Body for 3 months. One of my favorite things about BFL is it has taught me things I'll carry with me for the rest of my life.

Try not to be discouraged! Hang in there and show all of us where you are at the end of your 12 weeks!! You can finish this thing!!! Stay positive. and don't ever look back.

Mike

• SDJ & Eva Jo-It is recommended that you stop using creatine products 10 days prior to taking photos to deplete the water stored in the muscles.

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• hehe, just to be sure it is understood, I am a challenger just like you.  My responses to questions are just based on my experience and nothing else.  That being said I truly think my results have been amazing.  Week nine and I have lost 27 lbs as of this morning.

About the supplements.  I am not using any at all except for fish oil caps, a generic multivitamin and EAS premium protein powder.  I can't afford anything else right now.  All my other nutrients have come from real food.

Alot of other folks on the forum can speak to other supplements and timing them better than I.  

My best wishes for health, happiness and discipline to you.

• Wow, I am totally impressed, 27 lbs.  Ok, what is the deal with Fish Oil Caps, why fish oil?  Can you take Flax Seed Oil instead?  I am taking CLA, Betagen and EAS Lite.  I do the Lite shakes because it is easy for me to do.  The Betagen I had ordered the last part of last year and it's still good!!!! :)  The CLA's I bought a GNC brand, but only taking 1 three times day.  Is that enough?

• forgiveandforget,

did you take your measurements before you began the challenge.  If so, take them again and compare.  I am sure you will be happy with the results.  If not, take them now and then again in a few weeks.  Best of luck!

• OMG, I totally thought that the pics in the book are typical results and that the program guarantees you will look like that after only 12 weeks.  I've been so discouraged, my results have been minimal. I mean I really went into this thing wanting to win the contest. I've got a little less than 4 weeks left, so we'll see what happens, maybe it will kick in at the end? I'm not giving up. If my results aren't what I was hoping for, I'm still glad I'm doing BFL. I feel great.

• jacksonsoxfan and forgiveandforget:

You are both absolutely right not to give up!  Even if we don't win the contest - the health rewards, the sense of accomplishment, the energy level and just "feeling great" are the BEST rewards from this challenge.  Keep up the good work and keep measuring your results.  You may not get there as fast as you would like - BUT YOU WILL GET THERE!  :o)

• I've realized through this transformation that my body changes faster than my mind.  What I mean by that is I was still feeling fat on the inside (because I had been overweight for so long) even though I had transformed my body into an athletic fat burning machine.  Sometimes I will still have to look at my after pictures to reassure myself that I am lean and strong.  I really try to work on being as positive as possible but there is a bit of that negative voice still lingering inside.  

In the past if someone gave me a compliment I would think (yeah right?)  now I take it and believe it.  I know that I've come along way and my journey is a continuing one.  I have patients with myself and love my new lifestyle and attitude.  

We are all a work in progress!  

I love this quote by Bill Phillips:

"The limits you are living with right now, in every aspect of your existence, have been created by your mind. They are perceptions. And they are holding you back. You are capable of far more than you think you are."

• I just want to thank you all for your responses and support! I do refer back to the book and it helps me through the process but it is also nice to have real people who went through or are going through the same journey, ups and downs to "talk" to and get guidance. I know I have a long way to go (on week 8 of my first of three challenges needed to get to where I need to be to be healthy) and sometimes just get frustrated at not seeing the results as quickly as I think I should with all the work I'm doing. Patience is something I've always struggled with and still need to work on in my life overall. I agree thought, most importantly is the fact that no matter how much weight or dress sizes I drop, I have started a lifetime change and will come through this feeling better than if I never would've tried in the first place. Thanks again! and good luck to all in your journey to a new life and a new you.