SCARED!!!!

• I purchased the Body for Life book a few years ago,but after reading it decided it would be too much hard work and wouldnt fit in with my lifestyle. But after a few years of punishing myself (when I actually think im treating/rewarding myself) with food, becoming the largest I have ever been,squeezing myself into clothes that dont fit or wearing things my mum wears, I have returned back to the book.

I have been looking over the book for many weeks now, writing some meal ideas I like down,copying the planning sheets--but havent actually managed to get started.

I think its because im scared. Scared that, as per most things in my life, I wont stick to the program and feel like a failure; That I wont be able to make the 12 weeks; that life as a working mum will get in the way of planning,preparing and doing.

I want to change my body and how I feel-but dont feel strong enough :(

''You've gotta go there to come back''

• Most people who begin the program don't have any idea what they're doing.  A lot of them have never been to a gym, and of those who have been, many have not been for quite some time.  There's only one way to learn, and that's going to do it.  Maybe talking to other people, or just watching other people (though that's not always good because a lot of people set bad examples in the gym).  Read over the exercise portions of the books to learn how to do it.  Do a search on YouTube for specific exercises for a demonstration.  

Don't be afraid to fail.  You're failing everyday you don't do the program.  There's only one way to get started, and that's taking that first step.  You're stuck in what Bill Phillips calls the "Abyss" and you need to decide to cross it.  You may not do everything correctly when you begin.  It's all part of a learning process.  If you mess up on the eating, don't dwell on it, just move on.  For everyday you don't do the program, you are that much further away from feeling great about yourself.  

So just get in there and do it.  If you have questions and don't know who to ask, post your questions on this board and someone will answer it.  But I guarantee, if you begin this program, you'll notice your energy level soar and your confidence about yourself will start rising almost immediately.  Good luck! - Mike

• I agree with Mike.  Do this for yourself not for anyone else.  You will see a significant change in your life.  You will find that if you follow the program you will have more energy and time to be the working mom you are.  Believe it or not BFL has tought me time management skills.  

I am a comfort food eater and I always stressed out about starting a program because I feared failure and I feared also not being able to eat the foods I wanted and that I would always yearn for the "good treats".  I also was afraid of failing....I tried this program before and after the 7th/8th week just quit becasue I made these same excuses.  Well I can tell you that my Life and my health took a real turn for the worse.  Noone wanted to be around me because I was miserable, I couldn't play with my kids and my relationships in my life were not so good.  I guess I had had enough and I decided that I was going to do the program correctly and I signed up for the challenge, read all the on-line tools and helpful hints.  I decided to finally finish something.  I am in my 8th week and yes I am struggling mentally but each day I remind myself that I can do it ( I will finish),  My relationships have been the best they have ever been, I play with my kids more often and I am just an overall better person.  YOU can do IT too!  Have faith in yourself.

Good Luck and take that 1st step!

• Hi MissyMaddyMoo. I feel exactly the same as you . I'm not a mum but working silly shift patterns and nights could easily get in the way of training and eating right and at the moment 12 weeks seems like a lifetime away, but I want to give it a go. I've started losing weight with slimming world but really want to push myself now. Lets start together on Monday and take it a day at time?? Rachel. xx

• I'm having many of the same feelings.  I have a really difficult time following through on goals, so I've been trying to follow the instructions in the book and answering some of the questions Bill suggests thinking about prior to beginning.  I think it's helping and I would ideally like to start Monday as well if I can get everything ready to go.  Monday, Monday, Monday!

• Im glad Im not going to be alone on this...I only wish some of you were there in the gym with me!!!

Ive done some planning and have started another thread for those starting Monday 29th April where I have asked for advice on next weeks menu...and I have been recommended to think of some specific goals-so that is my plan for tonight when the kids finally go to bed and leave me alone!!!!

xxx

• For those that are dealing with some fear about this, I'll share something from an author I like.  His name is Jon Acuff.  Fear is schizophrenic, it tells you to not do something at all, because you will fail.  Once you then get over that fear and convince yourself to start, it then tells you that you have to do the whole thing perfectly, so you can't start unless you know it will be done perfect.  So fear says don't start doing anything but if you do, it has to be done perfectly, fear is schizophrenic....

Don't listen to fear, Bill Phillips himself says, "progress not perfection."  Just do meal #1, or workout #1, or day #1.  Those things will turn into two's, three's, four's, etc.  And do them the best you can, not perfect, but make progress.  

Brez

• I started the Challenge in 2000 and did not finish. When I started the Challenge again in 2012,  I hung a poster in my workout room that had a quote from Richard Brinsley Sheridan which read " The surest way not to fail is to determine to succeed". The first day I started the Challenge, I started composing my essay.  Just take one day at a time but always keep your mind on the goal. The keys are frequent small, healthy meals, water, aerobic activity in the morning, planning and sticking to your routine and of course the EAS products. I wrote everything down. There are logs in the Library on this site under Tools. The great thing about this program is that you will acquire the increased energy to be able to accomplish your goals. It also becomes a way of life - you will find you have different eating habits and staying fit will become routine. I am coming up on the first anniversary of the first day I started my Challenge almost a year ago and I am  even stronger and leaner. I still have a regular workout routine and have very healthy eating habits. Best of Luck! You CAN do it!

Carolyn Aragon

Body-for-LIFE Champion 2012, Women 46+

• thank you guys-i have started this week! OMG!

• I'm scared too.  In fact, I almost posted a message with the exact same subject.  I'm scared that I'll injure myself.  I'm afraid to go to the gym because I don't know how to adjust some of the machines, and I'm afraid that I'll make others "wait" while I use the machine for at least 5 minutes.  (I don't take the full rest because of this last fear.)  I'm afraid to work out at home because I don't know how much weight to lift.  I'm afraid to push myself.   It's CRAZY!  I'm in week 2.   And fear is holding me back.  So, I hear your pain and I understand.