Will I make it!?

• Hi Everyone,

I am on day 18 of the BFL!  I am really struggling this week with cravings.  I feel low on energy too.  Until last night I was fighting the cravings and then couldn't take it anymore and  ate a Wendy's Frosty!  Not really on the plan...  Has anyone else struggled with this and if so, did you do anything to get through or is it something that will just pass?

Thanks for your help!

Karen

• There are going to be days where you struggle with cravings throughout the program.  It's just the way it is.  For me, those craving became easier each time I dismissed one.  I don't know that relying on it to  'just pass' is necessarily the right approach.  Actively ensure that it will pass.  Do yu hae the EFL book and recipes? If not I will tell you how to make this, but next time you have a craving for a frosty, make yourself a protein smoothie - the recipe is in the book.  There are ways to beat the cravings and replacement can be one of those ways.  Remember your goals and how you are going to get there is also key.

OH AND YOU WILL MAKE IT!  You've already made the commitment and come almost 3 weeks.  You are ahead of the game and a setback is not going to stop you.

• "will I make it" - that caught my eye.

What is stopping you Karen. Fight that head of yours and bring it with you everywhere you go! BFL is as much mental as physical. If you get it in your head, the body will follow.

• Hi Armster,

Thanks for the message.  That is a great idea.  Planning and being prepared are so important on this process! I actually just got the book and will look for the recipe.

Thanks!

Karen

• Hi Legs (like your user name!).

That is a good point - many people state how the BFL changed their life not just the way they look.  It is going through these situations that get them there!  

Thanks!

Karen

• Another thing you can do is write down the cravings you are having and then indulge on your free day...sometimes you might get to that free day and say, "Why did I crave that?" and not even have it.

It takes 21 days to create a habit, like Legs said, fight that head of yours and push through this. I don't think I have cravings...just for healthy and tasty stuff-I know it sounds crazy, but once you get your head really in the game, that's what happens!

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• YVW Karen.  

Planning and preparation are huge.  I rarely enter the beginning of a new week without knowing how I am going to eat for that week.  It only takes 15-20mins on a Sunday to plan. Sometimes, it changes course but life is life and nothing is perfect.  

• You can do this Karen. And yes, BFL will change you in more ways than you ever expected.

I sometimes forget my head, but someone around here always finds it for me. :)

• Thanks DebMO!  Good information - I'll start writing them down - that will probably help keep my head in the game too!

Take care!

K

• Ya know, it's funny when Debbie mentioned how she doesn't get cravings for much other than healthy foods. I'm the same way. My favorite thing of all time are sliced cucumbers drenched in oil and vinegar with a little water to dilute the strong vinegar. It's soooo tasty! YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Also, if you do mess up, don't beat yourself up over it. Say you had that smoothie on a wednesday, well than on sunday (which is suppossed to be your free day), you pass up that craving day since you already had it. You will make it through! The mind is a powerfull thing, all you have to do is tell yourself what your goals are, and tell yourself what is healthy for you and why you shouldn't eat junk foods except for small portions on Sunday. Good Luck to you! By the way, I'm almost done with my 1st week, and I know how hard it is.

WE CAN TO THIS...ALL TOGETHER!!!!

nikki

• Thanks Nikki!  You are right we can do this - keep in touch! Karen

• Hi karenrl1984,

It might sound funny.. But I had craving the very first day and I ate what I was not supposed to. had it been some days back, I would have thought let me restart the challenge again.. But I just let it go and thought I must avoid it in the future..

I too crave so much for all those spicy things.. It is not wrong according to me.. Even if I go over board occasionally I would still forgive myself and continue my journey.. The journey cannot be smooth all the time.. thats what I feel.. BTW I am in C1W1D4.. have a long way to go ;)

Loving Regards,

Divya S Selvan

• Here is a good post by 2006 Champion Mike Harris.  It's something really good for folks to think about when craving rear up.  

H.A.L.T.!

Most of you know that I’m a recovering alcoholic. I’m sober and have been for twenty five years now, but there was a time when staying sober for 25 hours would have been impossible for me. While I was in treatment, and in recovery groups, I learned and really took to heart a very simple checklist that not only helped me to stay sober but helped me to avoid conflicts—both with myself and with others! It is represented by an acronym, H.A.L.T. and here is how it works. When you find yourself about ready to lose your temper, or to run away from a situation you are in, or craving something to eat or drink, or ready to do anything else that you might later regret, call a quick time out and mentally and carefully go through this list!

1. H stands for Hungry. You need to ask yourself, "when did I last eat, and what?" If you are very hungry, your blood sugar is probably low, and your thinking process may be at best fuzzy. Your ability to control your temper is impaired as well, so if that checklist says you’re truly hungry, then eat before taking that next step.

2. A stands for angry. When you are angry, your fight or flight hormones are at work; your adrenalin is going, and you are ready for serious conflict. Problem is, it’s hard to rationally handle an issue with another when you are primed to do something else. So, if you really are angry, DON’T deal with the person or situation right then. I almost always end up regretting things I said and did in my anger.

3. L stands for lonely. Lonely can also mean self-pity. So, if you’re not your usual self because your relationships aren’t just right, or you are feeling bad for yourself, be careful and back off from anything tempting in front of you. I personally know a couple of lonely guys who are constantly meeting up with lonely women, and the results after the first twenty four hours are over show rather clearly that such spur of the moment attempts to feel better about ourselves usually end up with complicated and worse consequences than before. The last thing we need when we are doing a challenge is to start another dysfunctional relationship.

4. T stands for tired. That was me this week. I was just slap worn out, but kept going anyway. The good thing is—I knew I was tired. So, for the most part I ignored those urges to eat. I actually "felt like" I was hungry, even right after eating, but I knew better.

As you can tell from the above, the checklist will help you both to diagnose and to deal with the problem you have before your actions complicate things! Often, hunger feels like anxiety, and tiredness feels like hunger. And, when you have a couple of these things going on at the same time, all you know for sure is that someone needs to die!

I hope this helps. It can’t hurt anything, and even if you don’t have any of these after going through your checklist, you’ve had time to catch your breath and to engage your brain before putting your tongue in motion. That alone has saved many of us from having more problems!

Again, a repost by Mike Harris 2006 Champion

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Yes, You WILL make it. If you try.

And by asking for help and guidance, I can see that you are.

I slipped up, I think everyone has during the BFL program. The important thing is to stay in the game and move forward.

We all get discouraged, but look! We're still here!!

Stacy Lynn

• Thanks Stacy!