Any Challengers starting August 13th?!

• I am going to start next Monday on my 2nd challenge.  I am already working on the UBWO, Cardio & LBWO and mainly focusing on getting my meal plans together.  I have 2 kids starting school this week and hopefully, everything will smooth out by the end of the week to start.  Who is in?

• Hi Tonja, I am starting on 8/12/12.

My father passed away 2 months ago of a massive heart attack. He was only 67 years old, and he developed adult-onset diabetes later in life due to inactivity and weight gain. On top of it, I am just learning that he was a chronic smoker for 11 years.

I have to start on Sunday due to the jewish calendar and I am currently attending services daily to mourn for him.

I live in California, and all of my family is far from here. I have my own company, and I live and work on the beach. I have plenty of inspiration around me. Support though, will be greatly appreciated.

My goals are to:

1) Quit smoking (cigs).

2) Lose about 25-30 lbs - Currently at 248, would like to be at 215-220.

3) Develop better muscle tone, and a slimmer waistline.

4) Become the inspiration that would have inspired my father to make changes earlier in his life.

I live in a studio apt, with practically no kitchen, so any suggestions on how to keep a routine without loading up on food at Costco, would greatly appreciated.

I have been through 2 challenges already, dropped about 30lbs in 2 months on both of them, and stopped there. Need help getting through that 3rd month.

Hopefully you can make it, even though we will be one day off.

Kevin

• Kevin, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. One suggestion is not trying to do too much at once.  Quitting a tough addiction and changing your eating and exercise habits at the same time is a huge challenge.  not saying you can't do it but I don't think I could. As far as food shopping I love Trader Joe's for the fish, grass fed beef and smaller packages of fresh vegetables. Great for a single person.

• This must be such a very difficult time for you, Kevin.  I can't even imagine.  Congratulations for taking control and planning to make positive changes in your life!

As you get started on this awesome BFL program, be patient with yourself.  As diverdog mentioned, all of those are major changes.  Any one of the changes you are going through, particularly the loss of your father, can cause depression, memory problems, difficulties with attention, frustration, and seriously impair the immune system.  That doesn't mean all those will happen.  Just be prepared in case they do, and know that they are normal.  BFL will be great for protecting your health.  Take good care of yourself overall.    

You are so on target looking for support.  Not just for BFL but for dealing with your loss.  The number one factor for successfully dealing with grief is support.  You can count on your Forum buddies for support!

Welcome back to BFL!

Mary

• Kevin-

Well, let's see what we can do...  Sorry to hear about your loss - I lost my father a few years ago - he was 62 and in terrible health...sounds very similiar to you dad.  He retired & was very inactive, gained weight & smoked too.  He did give up the cigarettes late.  I am with you I don't want that route - we have options.  Do you have the BFL book?  I am only going to assume you do, but I am re-reading it.   I love Costco, but hate the large sizes of everything, but it maybe nice to use for protein bars & shakes and pre-cooked chicked if you have a hard time cooking.  You have a lot of goals......I really just want to get some excess bodyfat off.  I don't like to count lbs - it drives me nuts not to see it go down faster.  I have decided to follow BFL and change up my cardio routine...treadmill/bike/class at the Y.  Have you tried any classes - spinning?  Do you know why you stopped at end of month 2?  Bored? Tired?  I hit a little boredom with it at that time, but I just changed from afternoon workouts to early am - still trying to be a morning person.  Whatcha eating?

My plan so far is:

5AM - workout

6:30 - shake

9:30 greek yogurt & fruit

12 lunch - grilled chicken, salad & wild/brown rice

3 - shake/bar

6-7pm dinner - ?? lean meat with veggie

9 - cottage cheese & fruit

Let's get started,  I live in Mississippi - right outside of Memphis, TN area.  Freakin' hot and ready for a little cooler weather.

Tonja

• Kevin,

I am starting on Monday the 13th also. I weight 248 and am looking to weigh about 200-210 at the end of this program. Hopefully we can hope each other along this journey!

Zach

• How is the 1st day going?  LBWO done and food planned for the day.  Hardest for me is getting this water intake up.  Nothing changes until something changes.....

• Hey guys, I am moving over to the other thread for 8/13........

• Hi Tonja, I am starting on Monday.  I work full time and I have two daughters at home.  I know it is a week later than you are startign but I am in.  How has your week been going so far?

• Faith1010-

I am on day 3 and all is well....LBWO this morning went well and fell good.  I usually get sore on the next day from lifting.  Full-time & 2 kids.........completely understand - I am the same - BUSY!  I know it is difficult to make me time - take it when you can!  Congrats on deciding to to BFL - it works & it is simple.  Let me know if you are worried about anything or need anything.  Always here to help!  I would start planning now - it make it easier.

• I started on 8/13/12.  I am not good at planning variety. I tend to eat the same meals for a week. Since yo uk have done this before, can you tell me how I fit the EAS carb control shakes into me meals?

• Hello!

I am considering setting up a FB page for Body for Lifers.  I have just started the program and know I would love an easily accesible support group.  I would really like to have a forum where questions can be answered, encouragement given, progress celebrated and ideas generated.  I know that over the next 12 weeks it will be easy to get stuck in a rut either with eating or training.

What do you think?

Cheers to strong, healthy bodies,

Laura

• PinkCloud-

I keep my food plan pretty simple and just mix up my lean meats:

Breakfast - shake & whole wheat/grain toast

Snack - Greek Yogurt w/fruit

Lunch - lean meat w/salad or veggie leftovers

Snack - shake or bar

Dinner - lean meat with veggie & rice

Snack - cottage cheese & fruit

I do try to go the gym early in the morning...Y opens at 5am.  I start with early am 3 days, then work to 4 days & then 5 days and sometimes I just can't do it more than 4 days.  I have young kids and if they wake me up.......I am off schedule, but go after work (hopefully).  Good luck and I hope this was helpful!

• Hi there,

I have created a support group on Facebook called Body for Lifers!

I have just started the Body For Life program (8/15/12) and know I need an easily accessible support group. I would really like to have a forum where questions can be answered, encouragement given, progress celebrated and ideas generated. I know that over the next 12 weeks it will be easy to get stuck in a rut either with eating or training and having a group of fellow Body for Lifers will be invaluable!

Come join us!

Laura

• Hi Everyone,

It has been a while since I took a look at the forum. Thank you for all of your support.

I am on week 3 now.

Last week, I had a bit of a meltdown and missed 3 workouts, but got back up on the horse.

Since it has been smooth sailing.

I have lost about 6 lbs already and am noticing my body springing back in shape.

Anyone having digestive issues with the protein powders? I have been having some, to the point where today I took some psyllium husk.

Anyhow, will keep all posted.

Kevin