8 months post accident, meds, weakness..trying

• Had major accident Thanksgiving...wheelchair etc for a few weeks...

I'm addicted to chocolate and carbs, but i've gone to gym for last 10 years 4 days/week..

57 yo, but have lost my groove severely....

Have gained 25 lbs, that make me feel like i'm carry cement...

help.....

• JLM,

"He who has a Why to live for can bear almost any How."

What's your why?  When you figure that out the rest is just welcomed hard work.

Semper Fi,

Brez

• Hi Jlm, 25lbs is not much to loose, and as you've been fit recently once you are on a roll you will never look back.  The first few weeks are the hardest but you will feel the benefits and it is worth it.  You can stuff your face with carbs on your cheat day! Good Luck!

• That's not quite accurate, but I love the two statements with the exclamation points!  25 pounds is not much to lose if you are 100 pounds overweight.  Those first 25 pounds may seem to fall off.  But if you are a total of 25 pounds overweight, it is a lot.  And you have the same challenges at the tail end of losing as everyone else.  Just don't want you to get discouraged, JLM.  

What aerobic and strengthening exercises can you do safely while you heal?  Be creative and you may come up with exercises you hadn't thought of before, even ones that are aerobic if done vigorously enough.  By the way, aerobic anxiety doesn't count!  If I did I'd be a size 2!

I can totally identify with the carb and chocolate addiction!  As difficult as it is to give them up, it is much better than either harmful exercises before your body is healed, or endlessly gaining weight while you are restricted on activities.  Would reviewing Bill Phillips' book help get you motivated?  (It may be in the library if you don't have it.)  Or treating this like your first day ever of BFL - reading all the resources, especially motivators, planning meals and snacks, etc.?  Drinking a ton of water while you eat and inbetween?  Reading the forum entries of people who are having a hard time too?  Think of what got you motivated back when you started.  Read your Dreams and Goals every day.

Hang in there, JLM!  The time will pass until you can exercise again, whether you are eating well or not.  Might as well be working back to your preferred weight while time is passing!

Mary

• So you know how to workout, you just need to find the drive again.  Well, I guess it's safe to say that as bad as this accident was, it could have been worse.  You could have not made it, or ended up permanently disabled.  You are blessed to be here!!  What's the alternative?  Do you want to look back 3, 6, 9, 18 months from now and say, "I can't find my motivation and I have 50, 60, 70#s to lose."?  I am certain that at 57 years of age, you have a lot to live for!!  Getting your health back will help you enjoy your life so much more.  Take baby steps...get your diet on track, and then start incorporating any exercise in that you can.  I am sure you will have some restrictions, but there certainly are a lot of exercises you can do.  We are all here to motivate you and cheer you on, but until you can find a reasons to make changes for yourself, it's not going to happen.  I have faith in you and think you can do anything you put your mind to!!

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• I was successful with BFL in the past.  Life got in he way nd I gained my 50 lbs back.  I moped about it for a year starting, stopping, etc.  I kept sayin "I feel like I am dying".  But no amount of encouragement from anyone helped. Bone dy I said.  That's it.  I cannot do this anymore.  Went back to BFL because it works.  Do the "homework" in the book in crossing the abyss.  When I read what I wrote,  I was shocked that that was me!  Then I came up with my 5 goals and started!  It's that chapter that got to me.  I encourage you to reread it and write in a journal.  Likely you will be shocked at what you write.  Once you know it, you can change it.

After the first week I started to feel my groove was still there.  Now I a almost through week 4.  7 lbs down and 7 inches smaller!  There is no looking back once you start because you will never want to be that " place" again!

Please  keep In touch as I would love to support you on your journey!!!!

Good luck!

• Sorry for the spelling errors!  Was trying to get ready for work

• Hi there,

I have created a support group on Facebook called Body for Lifers!

I have just started the Body For Life program (8/15/12) and know I need an easily accessible support group. I would really like to have a forum where questions can be answered, encouragement given, progress celebrated and ideas generated. I know that over the next 12 weeks it will be easy to get stuck in a rut either with eating or training and having a group of fellow Body for Lifers will be invaluable!

Come join us!

Laura