Can I exercise extra?

• I really like to run and do zumba class and am trying to train for a 5k.  Is it as effective if we run and do other things besides the suggested workouts?

• I wouldn't see why not.  They say in the book that what they offer is all you need but i dunno..i think in the beginning it is but as you progress you realize you need more than that

• It is okay to exercise more than the perscribed BFL workout plan so long as you are doing so safely and with a good sense of your body, need for recovery, etc.

You do not need more than that, even after reaching goal.  There are plenty of people who have done the BFL plan, as written, for years and have no need for extra. 

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• I hate to be the nay sayer but too much cardio can be counter productive.  It can be catabolic , preventing muscle maintenance and or growth, the key to long term weight loss. Intead of doing more cardio, try increasing intensity with sprint intervals or hill running. Of course being active on off days is a good thing.  Just keep the intensity low impact

• I only have one observation to make... especially now that we are in the Olympic Season. How then do Athletes train day in day out to reach peak performance if extra exersize is bad for the body? If you see any athlete, they have ripped muscles and they pack abs. These people, all they do is train, eat and sleep. (more power to them, not everyone is built for that).  ckoons is training for running a 5K and will never be fit for that working cardio 20 minutes 3 times a week. Yes, for those who are focusing only on losing weight mainly and getting in shape on top of having a busy lifestyle, it is great and appealing to know that you do not need anymore, for years to follow. To lose body fat and gain muscle is most of our goal here, even maintain what we accomplish. I would not like to train even 3 hours a day myself so I like the 20 minute workout plan. But although I am not a professional on this topic, it is obvious by seeing millions of athletes train for their competitions and routines, that extra workout could not possibly harm the body. Sounds like ckoons has a very active lifestyle and can handle it unlike those of us who may find it challenging to work out only 20 minutes a day, 3 times a week.

SorayaRosaria

• The truth, as with most things, is somewhere in the middle here.  It's not accurate to say that extra workout could not possibly harm the body.  It can absolutely harm.  Remember that professional athletes break up their routines to hit certain parts and skills at different times. Carl Lewis was known to not even walk fast when he wasn't training.  He knew that too much could harm him. 

That being said, let's instead discuss the spirit of the post.  Will doing a Zumba class, in addition to your BFL routine hurt you?  No!  Will training for a 5k.  I doubt it.  I don't believe you can do BFL and train for a 1/2 marathon or more at the same time.  At that point you likely are harming yourself and need to adjust the workouts to fit your goals. 

Arguing that too much and too much being anything more than BFL is harmful is also not accurate.  You aren't going to deplete your muscle reserves by doing more than 20 minutes of HIIT, 3x per week. 

The point of BFL is health.  Part of that is living an active and fulfilling lifestyle. 

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• Some very good points here. The pros certainly work more than 4 hours per week but they do cycle the intensity of their training and spend a lot of time working on tecnique. Not to mention being 20 something, taking naps and having optimal nutrition and daily massages.

My point is that if you want to maintain and grow muscle you need intense workouts and rest in between.  by intense I mean you push and pull heavy weights and you're ready to fall over from your HIT or intervals. If you train hard you don't want to do it every day! LOL  By rest I mean being active and moving but not getting into a heat rate training zone. If you are really training hard you must give your muscles time to repair and if your lucky grow a bit.

Be active have fun.  My fun activity is ballroom dancing. when I can I spend about 4 hours a week on the floor. But I don't even think of it as exercise it's just a fun thing to do.

• If only I could get my husband to dance!