Does 4 egg whites count as 1 "protein"?

• When looking at various meals people are eating, and seeing menu samples, it seems like everyone is using 4 egg whites in a meal. I've usually used 2, but wondering if 4 would be the more normal "protein" serving? Perhaps by removing the yolk (which I always do) this is why 4 works instead of 2, since you're basically doubling the egg amount?

• It depends on the size of the egg and size of you of course, but typically we're more talking 4 whites and 1 yolk for 1 protein.  A woman would normally go for about 25g of protein and a man would typically go more for 30g. 

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• I often make an egg white omelette with the one yolk and the whites of the rest and add onions and one low fat chopped up mozzarella stick as a breakfast treat just once a week. It adds some pizzaz to the breakfast that day.

• Helpful. So rather than necessarily focus on the protein size for some "proteins", focus more on the grams- like the 20-30 range? I don't include the yolk, but just the whites. But you're saying 4 egg whites would be more appropriate than 2, right?

• Jim,

You should include a yolk.  For a man, 6 whites would be the more appropriate portion.  You should be at about 30-35 in protein. 

Jessica

• Jessica, should a portion of carbs also be around 30-35 grams (for a man)?

• Strict BFL would say yes.  I keep my carbs somewhat lower than my protein.  It depends on weight. 

The "average" woman is 150 pounds. 

That's 150 grams of carb and 150 grams a protein per day.  BFL has 6 meals.  That's 25 grams per meal of carb and 25 per meal of protein. 

Do the math for your weight.