January 9ers, C2, and April 9ers C1, let's start this new thread!

• Board exams, board exams, BOARD EXAMS! I haven't been able to post on here with the most dedication for the last 4 days, and I apologize niners! As far as eating goes, I was very clean Mon-Thurs, mostly clean yesterday (but I didn't eat enough) and not clean today. Instead of counting it as a loss though, I am just going to make today my cheat day, instead of my anticipated Sunday, and just get back on eating clean tomorrow.

Now workouts have been a bit more challenging this week, as I was traveling for board exams (I failed, by the way, by 0.5%) and did not have a workout on the "motel" that I could afford. I am back home now, though, and I am excited to get back in the gym tonight and tomorrow. Even though week 1 wasn't perfect, I am already noticing changes in my body, just a bit slimmer of a belly when I wake up in the morning etc. So I am excited to see the changes continue.

@Perthmom and @JAW: WLECOME! We are so glad to have you! We are going to be here fro you every step of the way!

@Bobby: I kid you not. . .I am STILL sore from last Tuesdays workout. I know it was from Tuesday because I wasn't able to do my Thursday one since I was out of town, and my biceps are still in lockdown a little bit. HOLY MOLY! Good luck with managing the soreness my friend! I am right there with you.

Getting ready to start week 2 soon guys!

-AJ

• Hi everyone!! I've been posting on a different thread, then found out there are 3-4 different threads for April 9th starters, I think I'm going to make my home here though if thats ok. Its seems more active than the other threads!

This is C1 for me, and I am extremely excited! I'm coming into this after losing 60lbs and am now looking to drop the last 15lbs and tone up. I started out my weight loss journey just wanting to be thin, but It ended up being about health and wellness.  I DO NOT want to be one of those skinny yet unhealthy people (AHEM....the hubby). I'm not working this hard to still jiggle at the pool. I want to be STRONG!

Since my goal is weight loss and toning, I'm simultaneously keeping track of my calories and macro-nutrient ratio's. I know its not encouraged but I'm incredibly carb sensitive and if i go over 100g a day I gain weight like its going out of style. I also have fairly severe celiac's and a soy intolerance, which limits my carb choices but I'm enjoying the heck out of sweet potatoes, berries and fat free Greek yogurt. My dad just found a reliable source of gluten free steel cut oats that i CANNOT wait to try in the morning! I've got 4 jars of overnight oats in the fridge and I may bust one out for dinner!

So that's me..mostly...This first week has gone really well and I'm LOVING being back in the gym! It feels incredible to hit those 10's! I allowed myself a cheat meal yesterday (instead of an entire day) and I'm paying the price today! I thought I made good choices (steak, salad and mashed potatoes) and even though I specifically asked something was obviously laced with gluten. I have been SO sick! Like, I've probably lost 5lbs in the last 12 hours sick. I was still determined to get my workout in for the day, so I sucked it up and did my 20 minutes of HIIT, then promptly threw up. I don't think I'll be doing that again! After 8 months of clean eating I just can't eat like I used to, even if I wanted to!

Week 2 is going to be rough, I have finals, family in town and my sister is getting married but I am determined to rock it out!! I probably won't check in again until the end of the week so I hope everyone has a great one!

• @Amanda - I am so sorry to hear about the boards...and so close...how does this work can you go right back to taking it again or is there a waiting period? Being so close must give you some confidence that the next time will be it....glad your BFL is making some progress even with all the pressure you must have been under. I cannot image!

brpwatson - welcome to your 'new home' . I have been posting on the other 3 Apr 9th blogs and it is difficult to keep up. Seems like there is no time for lifting ;-)

Great job on the 60 lbs of weight loose prior to the start of this BFL cycle. I am with you on the weight loose – 15 lbs. I want to drop another 18 pounds as of right now. Then I will know how I feel...jiggles or just strong body mass. So, we are here for you.

Sorry about your rough 'free day' meal.  I am sure I will be interested in how you are keeping carbs so low. This is a huge problem for me. I think I know why. I need to commit more to being purer here. I think my comfort foods are carb foods and I know I could be making greater progress if I could pull them more into balance.

Anyway, glad you are here!

all the best for the rest of the weekend group.

I am not going to tell you that it will be easy ... I am going to tell you that it will be worth it!

• Hi Everyone. Thanks for being so welcoming. I’m really looking forward to being an active member in this group and getting to know everyone. It looks like we have quite a few motivated individuals with previous experience, so I’m looking forward to getting advice and input along the way.

To hold myself accountable, I had my husband take my before photos and there’s nothing I want to do more than show him some really smokin’ afters! Lol.  I’ve taken him through a few of the amazing transformations online and, as most people, I can tell that he’s sceptical that a person can change that much in 12 weeks. I would love to show him that you can!  I’ve taken my measurements this week and have started measuring a few additional parts that I haven’t previously tracked. The good news is that a week of clean eating has helped me drop about 2.5 inches from my waist at the narrowest point, 1.6 inches from my waist at navel and .6 inches from my thighs (measured together) at the chunkiest part. This isn’t necessarily a weight loss by any stretch of the imagination, because I did what I typically do before getting back on track and ate myself crazy over the easter weekend which results in a ton of fluid retention and bloat. At least, it’s coming down! I’m going to try to avoid weighing myself over the next few weeks until after week 3 is complete. I’m a bit scale obsessed and, unfortunately, it can impact my day and how motivated I am (Oh well, I didn’t lose any weight, so might as well have whatever I want to eat, etc.).

I really feel pretty amazing this week. I’m determined to do my hiit running, but at the start of the week, I had to take a few walking breaks after the level 9s to bring my heart rate down. I wear a heart rate monitor and is was pretty high at some points. By Saturday, I was able to get through my 20 minute hiit, without any walking breaks going from about 8.5km/hr to 10.5km/hr at my intensity 10. My heart was pumping, so I walked for about 10 minutes after that to bring my hr to an acceptable level. It felt awesome to get through it running (well, jogging).  My goal is to work up to doing 12 to 13km sprints. It seems impossible to me now, but I see other mommy’s doing it, so I’m determined.

Eating was pretty good. Monday was a holiday in Australia and I wasn’t perfect, so I traded my free day today (Sunday) for Day 1. It seems a bad way to start a 12 week challenge, but I did an awesome workout on Monday and I didn’t want to put off my “official start” for another week. It would have just given me another excuse to eat tons of stuff for another week- the last thing I need. I’m tracking my calories using My Fitness Pal and I’m spot on with my ratios at 40/40/20 – almost spot on. Not all meals are perfectly balanced, but they are clean and healthy and I’m fuelled. I’m sure some adjustments will be made along the way, but overall it’s a great way to start.

For those that completed a previous challenge, do you have results posted online or in a forum?  

I hope you all had a great first week.

@Bprwatson: Good luck for next week. It’s tough when you have visitors and stressful events (like exams) going on. With a 60lb loss, it sounds like you have some experience managing life’s stresses and still making progress toward your goals, but I’m sending good vibes your way from Perth to help you stay on track.

@Amanda: Sorry to hear about your exams, but love your positive attitude over your first week. It sounds like you have the right mindset for this program. We can’t be perfect 100% of the time, but maybe we can be pretty good 90%.

• Welcome all newcomers. Sounds like you guys are ready to do this, thats GREAT!

@amanda--sorry to hear about the exams

@perth---I think that you will easily hit your goal on the sprints, you will be surprised at the progress you will see. just keep everything on track and you will be there before you know it.

Week 2 I am going to be a little more serious than I was in week 1. I think my problem is coming off of the C1 I am telling myself I have time to rest. That is where I ended up where I am from the first time I did the BFL. Really need to keep it going, it is Body for LIFE, not 12 weeks.

Lets go 9ers, we can do this!

• Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Yesterday was a BAD day on the eating front, i just didn't eat much. I managed to get a protein shake and bowl of chili down. Thats it! Oh well, I've already got my week planned out and its going to rock!!

@run4life; I manage to keep my carbs under 100g by sticking with fat free greek yogurt, low carb fruits (berries etc), and sweet potatoes. I also skip a carb for 1 meal just because I have to. I just throw protein powder in my jug and add water when I can. Most days I'm lucky if I actually get to drink it I'm so busy. It's probably a little rouge but you do what you have to do right? It's not always easy to stop and eat (even a small meal) during a 12 hour shift.

@Perth, Its already quite impressive that you run at 8.5 for level 10! I run the whole time but my level 10 has been 6.5-7! One of my goals as well is to run at 12mph. I can't wait for my level 6 to be 6.5! I know its attainable! I've tried to set mostly fitness goals for my challenge. I know if I focus on that the body changes will come! I'm scale obsessed as well (several times a day!!) So, I took the batteries out and had my husband hide it. Its only coming out at 4,8 and 12 weeks. Its really hard not stepping on the scales at the gym though! I'm going to have to hide my tape measure, I'm replacing being scale obsessed with being inches obsessed!! As you can tell, I'm still working on focusing on fitness but I'm getting there!

have a great week 2 everyone!

• 9ers

Sounds like all are doing really well.

Thanks BPRwatson for the carb insight. I just need to get these under control...meaning will power. I think I understand what I need to do I just have to do it!

@ Perth and others great start...Perth sounds like you are off and running with the inches coming off even though you gave yourself little 'Carnaval' party before you started.

I too am a data junkie and so I hit the scale way too much and the tape (not as much, but more than I should).

I know from my first BFL experience weight wise I plateau-ed from week 4 to week 8 on the scale...I was driving me nuts. Over that time I really ramped my calorie burn up for a total burn of around 20,000 calories net loss (~ 6 lbs loss equivalent weight drop) and still no movement on the scale DE-MOTIVATING! The tape then from about week 8 to 12 also ‘suggested’  little change. It was another 'what is going on moment for me.' It wasn't 'til I looked at my photos from week 4 compared to week 8 that I realized that yes even though the scale and tape said no change that there was in fact a pretty good change going on...so I guess sometimes the scale and tape can lie...but I think those photos can really be your friend.

@bartmarshall - I am with you on the feeling the need to rest. They say C2 is the hardest to stay motivated. That is why I put the quote (in blue) on my signature...it is my constant reminder now. I also think the success of C1 is something I also have to constantly remind myself of. Proof it is worth it!

The first week of C2 I had to shift my lifting schedule a little to get it done and that bothered me that I don't right now have a good plan developed and that there are some activity conflicts with other commitments in my life. I know that happens and it is just the way it is. I am still trying to stay true.

I have to laugh on the exercise side of life right now. I am putting a Frick work out routine together. My wife saw some nice 12.5 pound edging blocks she wants to put in the garden. So I moved a ton (US not metric) of them ... twice on Friday ...does that count as a UBWO LOL!?!

Have a great week 9ers!

I am not going to tell you that it will be easy ... I am going to tell you that it will be worth it!

• Bobby A - I know it will happen for you.

I think 'Pants of Judgement' are more truthful than the scale...stay true and strong. I have a hunch soon you will have to go out and buy more pants in that jean size.

• @bprwatson: big clarification needed here. Those speeds I posted were kilometre per hour speed. I'm an American living in Australia and I converted my centimetres to inches but didn't convert the speed. So, I'm running between 5.2 to 6.5 mph. I'm 5'2 so I don't think I could keep up at 12mph, but 12 kph is possible. I'm not that impressive.

@bobby: you'll def be in those jeans.  

It's Monday morning! And that means I made it through my first weekend without throwing everything off track. Keep in mind that I blew my free day on Easter Monday (day1) so I had to hold strong over the weekend. This is a big accomplishment for me. Yay!

I'm looking forward (really!) to lbwo and will report back.

• @ R4L - LOL!  Welcome to the club.  Here are the calories per hour that I use in my spreadsheet:

gardening 266

Build 310 Light construction work

Mow 310 Moderate Pace, Push mower

Today I restacked 75 30 lb bricks, mixed and set 4 80# bags of concrete and plastered 60# of stucco (my latest talent to acquire.  

I would consider week one a success.  7 workouts, 3 lifting/4 cardio (including today's construction).  Diet Fat 12g below average, carbs 20 g below average, protein 6 below average (not good).  Theoretical weight loss around .3 lbs although the scale pointed in the other direction this morning.  My goal this week is to continue with 3 days of pumping iron, and pull up the protein to ~180 g for the week, and make an appointment for my annual physical.  I look forward to seeing what another year of living clean looks like from the inside (bloodwork).

Next temptation week is week 3 in Atlanta.

Rock on 9ers!

Frick

• Good job everyone, here comes week 2!

• Hello!  Okay, I am not a 9er but just a couple days ahead of the April group so I figure I am close enough to relate.  :)  I am heading into week 2.  Was more sore the past couple of days more than any other but I have been pushing myself too.  I have been taking a multi vitamin, plus fish oil.  I have done pretty good on the diet, working in those in between protein snacks which help keep the hunger down. What I have noticed so far is that I have lost that bloated feeling prior to working out and I am starting to sleep a little better at night and have more energy during the day.  Tonight was cardio for me and I finished it off with yoga which really helped my sore muscles.  It's all good!!  

~Nothing changes until SOMETHING changes~

• Hey 9ers-

Just a quick check in and a hello to all the new 9ers that have joined in.  Good luck to all and stick close to your goals.  My main goal for this challenge is to lose another 30 pounds to be at 239 by the end of the challenge.  I started C1 at 297 and am currently at 269.  I am going to get in two UBWO's and two LBWOs this challenge and increase my cardio to 4 days per week.  If all goes well, I will need about one more challenge to get to my ultimate goal weight of 215.

I have found a great alternative to the weight workout from Bill Phillips' new Transformation website.  I'll post the details later, but you get an intensive workout in about 25 minutes.  I use it when I'm short on time or just want a mix of cardio and weight training.

I fixed a boatload of grilled chicken last night and have the rest of the meals planned for the week.  I'm ready to kick this challenge in gear after a slow start last week working out of town with limited resources.  

Hope you all have a great week...Keep sweating and posting!!!

By the way, for some reason I am no longer getting the posts via email?????? Anybody else experiencing this???  I think I have the button selected for getting the emails, but ever since this thread was started, I don't get them....:(  

BuckiBBQ

• Ok...here is the quick HIIT weight workout from Bill Phillips....

Do 1 set of 10 reps for each of the five UB parts:

Chest, Shoulders, Back, Triceps, Biceps. 

Do these sets in sucession moving quickly to each exercise.  Do not rest in between sets.  At the end of the bicep set, rest two minutes and repeat the five exercises. 

Do this five times for a total of 250 reps.  It should take about 25 minutes and I guarantee that your heart will be pumping and so will your muscles at the end. Stay at the same weight for each set.  I choose the same weight that I would use for 10 reps on the BFL weigh workout plan.  You could also use this as a guide for a good lowerbody workout.

Give it a try! 

BuckiBBQ