1/2 way and bummed

• I am successfully working my way through a challenge and am on week 6 day 4. I have been eating as cleanly as possible, exercising and pushing myself, and drinking lots of water. I am seeing some results and more importantly, am feeling great! However, I am doing this to look better too. While I have seen some progress physically, I am frustrated.

As you can tell from my starting profile pics, pregnancy was not kind to me and I have lots of fat to lose. So far, I have lost 2 lbs in wk 1, 2 lbs in wk 2, 1 lb in wk 3, and 1 lb in week 4. Nothing in week 5 and so far nothing at week 6. I understand that it is not what the scale says but the simultaneous loss of fat with the gain of muscle that is more important. My arms and legs are toner, and when my husband hugs me, he says he feels a big difference in my back and around my waist. I feel stronger and mentally sharper.

But how on earth am I supposed to lose 20+ lbs of fat in the next 6 weeks? I can't eat better than I am, I can't push myself more physically than I am. The only workout I missed was this week, and it was because I felt like I needed to give my body a break since I am so tired and feeling worn out. I am sleeping plenty and drinking tons of water along with plain green tea. I don't know what else to do and I don't think I will see the type of results many people here have wound up seeing. I've reduced my free day to pancakes for breakfast, eat BFL normally for lunch/snacks, and a free dinner with a few beers.

Is it still possible that lots and lots of fat will start falling off these next 6 weeks? While I see improvement, at the current rate I am going, I feel I will look no where near I hoped I would at the end of 12 weeks. I looked at myself in the mirror this morning and just started crying. And crying and crying. I feel like I am destined to stay fat no matter what I do. Is there hope?

• What ever you do don't give up! You are at the crucial part of your challenge where everything is going to fall into place. Give this last 6 weeks everything you have and then some so when you are done there is no doubt in your mind that you did everything you could. Put that scale away or better yet tell your husband to hide it from you until you've completed this challenge. Find something to spark your motivation again. Order the BFL Champions book it could really help you get motivated again. If you were running a marathon and you could see the finish line coming up in the distance would you slow down and walk or would you push yourself harder to get there? YOU'VE GOT THIS!!!

• Oh I've got great news for you!!!  Go to Media Files above (Inside the Community).  Once there, go all the way through the pictures until you get to the end where it says "This is the famous lady success document".  Print it out and read it!  You should feel much better.  Whatever you do, DON'T QUIT.  You'll get there!!!  

• HI Bummed,

I am at the same point as you are and was feeling the same way! I've only lost 5.8 lbs in the six weeks and have been trying soooo hard! I've been taking weekly pictures and havent seen any difference at all, although waist line measurenment shows a 2 inch loss. Feel like it's really slow going given the sacrifice and energy. I'll stick with  it fo the next 6 weeks (prepping for Cancun vacation) but I feel your pain!!

My achilles tendon keeps flaring up, which I'm afraid will jeopardize by cardio workouts now.

Just wanted you to know you are in good company and WE CAN DO THIS!! Let's give it our all and hope we do see some dramatic results soon!!  Cheers, BreMarie

• Hi annrunning,

First of all congratulations for getting to week 6! The frustration is understandable and I would take a look at your nutrition first. Are you eating enough? That is one that is overlooked often for women and can cause you to stop losing. If you do a comparison of your nutrition with the original BFL book and you are on track the next thing I would do is look at free day. The "few beers" stood out to me, alcohol is not recommended on BFL. I believe Bill said if you must a glass of wine with fish for dinner but not as a free item (paraphasing here). That is all I can think of that may help you and I do wish you the best because you are working so hard. Don't give up, you can do this.

Best wishes,

Kim

• Hello annrunning,  Please hang in there and finish. I believe you can do this and will. The few beers could be a problem that may be affecting your metabolic gains, because Bill pointed out that even one beer can affect your metabolic rate for up to three days in length after consumption. It sound like the rest that you are doing is great though. I wish you the best and understad how tough it is to give up the alcohol on a free day even. (During my last challenge our anniversary occurred and I didn't even have a drink then or on the 4th of July or on Labor day as well, all were during that time period, didn't want to sabotage all the good work I had done up to those points). Best wishes and Keep Moving Forward.

• I think you need to go re-read your profile about immediate results and not listening to the scale and not giving up!!!  Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is the perfect body.  There is no fast hard rule that says you are going to lose 20+ pounds of fat in this time frame.  If you hadn't started, you would be exactly where you were six weeks ago.  Give yourself some credit and celebrate the small victories along the way.  I would love to see a copy of your food for the day; you could be undereating.  I am on myfitnesspal.com if you want to friend me there (Schmertnat).  It is a great tool to keep track of your food and exercise.  If not, just post a typical day's menu here.  Your destiny is what you make it.  If you want to be fat forever, then you will be.  If not, you need to get your mind in the right place, and know that you are worth every ounce of sweat and sacrifice, and know that you are the only one who can make this happen for yourself.  Just keep plugging away and try not to get down on yourself.  I was there once myself; felt like a blob after having both of my babies, but I knew that there was NO WAY that I was going to let myself stay fat!  Hang in there, and let us know if there is anything we can do for you!!

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• Thanks for all the responses everyone!

I read the Women's article and that is very eye-opening. I don't feel so bad because at least I have seen some visible results. Seems like some women didn't get any gratification the first several weeks.

I am NOT GIVING UP! I already decided that even if I stay looking how I do currently, I will still stick to it because of how I feel and the fact that I know I am eating so much better. I think I started to become too focused on the physical part, and that was my problem yesterday.

I thought a lot about my nutrution. A typical day for me looks like:

Workout. It's almost always done on an empty stomach

Meal 1:1/2 c. Oatmeal (little milk in it and a sprinkle of cinnamon) and 1/8 c egg whites with 1/2 a real egg in it. We (the hubby and me) usually split a roma tomato with the egg to jazz it up a little

Meal 2: yogurt and cottage cheese. Both fat free and I eat only greek yogurt, which has insane amounts of protein in it and 5 live active cultures instead of only 2, like some regular yogurts

Meal 3: 1/2 turkey sandwich & 1/2 can of soup (usually veggie or tomato, etc). There is lettuce, tomato, and mustard or ff mayo on the sandwich

Meal 4: Myoplex shake

Meal 5: This is the most variance, but it's usually an appropriate size chicken breast or salmon, potato or brown rice, and a healthy serving of veggie. Last 2 nights were chicken on top of lettuce (with veggies in it) and I make my own vinaigrette dressing which does have 1 ts. of virgin olive oil. Tonight will be a frozen Kashi meal (lots of protein and yummy whole grains) while the family partakes in spaghetti night :-(

Meal 6: plain airpopped popcorn (like what can fit into my hand) with a sprinkle of salt and yogurt.

I was thinking about if I was eating too many carbs, and yesterday I cut the carbs for 2 meals. This morning I woke up 1 lb. lighter after not losing for two weeks. I don't want to go down the slippery slope of avoiding carbs, I know they're not evil, but just wanted to try tweaking my diet a little because maybe that's all it takes. As long as I feel good, I'll try it. I am really wanting to burn this fat off!

I would be sad if I had to give up beer on my off day. We live in an area with lots of microbreweries that also serve good food, and that's a shared enjoyment for me and my husband. We like trying new beers from ales to stouts. I will continue with my off days as is, but if I don't get the results I want in the first challenge, I'll try cutting beer out in the second challenge. Our off days are fridays, so maybe Saturdays, I should add an extra cardio workout equivalent to beer caloric intake from the night before (usually 2 or 3). When the weather warms up, I can easily get a biking session in.

• Glad you're gonna persist.  You're further along that 20 gazillion people on the planet, so just keep going!

• From a glance it looks to me like you might not being eating enough. You should have about 20g protein and 20g carb for each meal. I track my food every once in a while on fitday.com to make sure I am on track. I try to stay at 20/ 20 each meal and about 1500 cal a day.

• i am feeling similar frustrations -

like some other people have said - i think alcohol may be playing into it.  before BFL i was a heavy drinker - and although i've kind of "tweeked" the plan so it suits my needs/wants/enjoyments - i'm still seeing results...but I have noticed alchohol is playing a big part in my weight loss.  If i drink on my free day (i sometimes drink two days a week) then i will gain several pounds back that i had previously lost and it takes about 2-3 days to re-lose those pounds...then i start losing like normal again.  I do weigh myself every morning (which i know is a bit excessive).  i just think to myself what if i hadn't drank at all?  would i have continued to lose instead of wasting days re-losing those booze lbs?

i might be off in my thinking - but maybe try for a week or two completely cutting it out and see how it affects your losses.

i also think to myself that BFL is a 12 week program its not forever.  although i intend on making this a permanent life change - once i'm at a comfortable weight it will be about maintaining and you can add those few beers back in on your free day without worry of how much it will affect an actual weight loss for the week.  just don't go crazy drinking all the time (my biggest struggle!)

hopefully this isn't counter-productive to other peoples post, but like you i enjoy my beers and have found this to be the most difficult part of the challenge.

• Oh honey!  You are about to hit the fun part!  Congratulations of getting here :)

One thing that jumped out was your last meal - all those hard weight training sessions and our bodies need protein to rebuild muscle through the night.  Something with cottage cheese is a great choice because it has a type of protein that is slow release - so your muscles are fed longer while you sleep.  But any protein is good...

Week 7 and 8 were super fun weeks for me.  Seemed like everyday something new fit or I noticed a changed somewhere!  So glad to hear you're at this stage.  Go you!!

• I am looking forward to weeks 7-12 :-) My last meal with yogurt has 14 g. protein I think because it's greek yogurt. I think I will sub the popcorn for 1/2 c cottage cheese.

I did measurements today and the one that stands out is losing 4 inches around my navel. I calculated my body fat loss to be 2.5% so far, bringing me to 27.5% and 1/4 of the way to my goal of getting to 20%.

For someone 5' 8" with a small frame, how do I know what a good lean mass weight is? I calculated around 108 lbs but I don't know how much muscle I should want to gain. I've gained a few lbs. so far!

• I was reading somewhere not sure if it were in the book on one of the Champions, but for women they said you'll really notice a difference on Week 9. So hang in there, and keep going you'll get there. Sometimes we want to go at OUR rate, but consider your age, metabolism, and how active you are. Be patient with yourself. I"m proud of you so far I"ve also lost 4 lbs. 1 lb a week for me, but then I got sick. Now I'm on the road to recovery. So have to take it easy. enjoy the Journey!

• jus keep pushing..i dunno wat it is but sounds like to me that your doing something wrong and you need to identify that cause if you were doing the right thing you would see progress