40 and starting BFL January 2nd, 2012

• I am 40 years old and looking forward to starting BFL tomorrow January 2nd, 2012.  My goals are to lose 50 pounds in the next 3 months with BFL.  I am looking forward to starting the challenge tomorrow.

thanks,

Shane

• Hi Shane,

I'm 49 and started my 4th BFL challenge today.  I'd be happy to journey along with you for the next 12 weeks.  My first challenge I dropped 34 lbs, but by the end of C2 I had dropped 50.  It is totally do-able in one 12 week challenge though, so you can do it.

Had my first UBWO this morning after taking the entire month of December off and just doing light cardio and body weight exercises.  I stuck to eating plan (except on the holidays) for the most part, and still ended up gaining about 5 lbs.  So I am looking to take a little back off and get in the best shape so far.

MAN!  It doesn't take our lungs long to lose their elasticity!  Just the warmup cardio this morning really had me huffing and puffing!  It will be good to get a couple weeks under your belt:  you really start to feel great and leaner right away, so hang in there.

Blessings <><

Stephon

• So how did your days go today? It was harder than planned. I did do a good little jog and then walk for my cardio for starts. I think I ate too much though. Not use to the 6 meals. hope your days went well

• My day yesterday was incredible.  I was able to get in all of the upper body exercises as well as about a mile of cardio.  It also helped that it was my day off.  I was able to get a good set of meals.  I'm worried when I go back to work though on wednesday as things will quickly get busy.

• Stephon thank you for the words of inspiration.  I am already happy with the first day's results and i can't wait to get a few weeks under my belt.  I downloaded the 12 week fitness ipad app to help with tracking.

Shane

• Happy Tuesday Week 1!

First HIIT of the 2012 was grueling!  Taking December as Active Rest was hopefully a good idea, but it didn't feel like it this morning!  I'll be glad when my lungs are back up to speed in a week or so!  Getting back on regular disciplined eating schedule was a great improvement!  I actually felt MORE full and satiated yesterday, and I consumed about 1000 calories less than my typical day during December!  

I calorie count only as a general benchmark for portion sizes I'm choosing, but you don't have to do that.  I spent my entire first two challenges just going with the 6 palm size protein, 6 fist size carb and two veggie portions per day - and still lost weight like crazy.  It wasn't until my 3rd Challenge that I downloaded an app for my phone called "calorie counter" by FatSecret.com, because I just didn't know how many calories, protein, carbs, sugar and sodium I was taking in every day.  I've been doing it religiously everyday since starting.  It has now just become habit to quickly input whatever I just ate, or am about to eat (just ask my family...they think I'm positively OCD about it!! LOL).

Anyway.  

marauder - You'll do fine when you start back to work tomorrow!  Just take the right "snack" supplies with you to keep from getting too hungry.  I usually carry a protein bar and/or shake with me during the day, in case I need something.  Also, Schwan's (and Walmart) carry alot of really convenient "steam pouch" style veggies and even meals that are good for fast, but nutritious eating in a busy schedule.  Healthy Choice makes some "Fresh Mixers" of whole wheat pasta with chicken, marinara, etc.. that are very easy and give you a 1/2 serving of veggies in the sauce.

Everyone have a blessed and productive day in the Lord!

Blessings <><

Stephon

• Hi Shane.  I was glad to see this post because I too am 40 years old and also started on Monday the 2nd.  I just moved to North Carolina and I am pretty much here by myself, so I don't have work out buddies.  But I am determined to do this 12 week challenge.  So I look forward to checking in with this thread so I can communicate with others who are on the same path.  Congrats, looking forward to seeing this challenge through.

Kris

• Hi Stephon! Congrats on your journey.  I read your bio and saw your progress and you deserve to be commended.  Congrats again.  I appreciate your input and experience.  This is my third time starting BFL, but my first time seriously focusing on finishing the twelve weeks.  So I really appreciate a forum like this to help me stay focused.  Keep up the good work.

• Hi Krissy,

I am glad to hear you are on the same journey as I am.  It seems like this magic number of 40 has triggered me in to realizing I'm not in my 30's anymore and I need to really get my life and fitness in gear.  I have worked out today and yesterday full of enthusiasm and can't wait to hit the gym tomorrow.  Hopefully this thread can help with your virtual work out buddy system :)

• Happy Thursday Week 1!

LBWO yesterday was really good.  I tried an exercise that I read about good for calves (and everything else):  Put treadmill on maximum incline (mine was 20%) and do 30 second bursts at the maximum speed you can maintain for the entire time.  I incorporated this in as my "calf" exercise.  I do all my BFL workouts "circuit" style without the 1 minute rest after each set.  I find it gets a 1-hour workout done in about 30-35 minutes without rushing.  Plus it's a cardio workout at the same time...BONUS!

HIIT this morning was equally good.  I can already feel my lungs returning to normal after being off thru December (big mistake...don't do that).  I actually made my old, old, old time of 2 miles in 20 minutes today, even at 1.5% incline; so I am well on my way back to a normal running time...then it'll be time to "step it up" again!  haha.

EATING - All good so far.  Have been right on target, no cheats and no slips.  I am major focused this time around to eliminate ALL processed sugar from my diet if possible (I know I'll have a cookie or something once in a while) because I feel that is what keeps my last couple lbs of fat around the belt line.

Krissyd413 - Thank you for the encouraging words!  Focus on just the day you have.  I find that if I try to "plan the whole 12 weeks" up front, it overwhelms and discourages me.  Matthew 6:34 tells us: ‚ÄúTherefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."  So you take it one day at a time!

Blessings <><

Stephon

• Thanks Stephon. You reminded me of a scripture that I usually refer to when I am anxious about day to day business, but it is so applicable here as well.  Take no thought for tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself.  Thanks I am taking one day at a time.  This weekend was ok.  I really tried to delve into my free day. Bought Ben and Jerry's, and chocolate donuts.  I took two or three bites and just threw  it in the garbage.  I felt good, but was a little peeved about the money I just spent.  I had three Kashi whole wheat waffles with butter and honey.  And I made angel hair pasta with chunky vege marinara sauce.  I considered these free day foods.  Normally I wouldn't eat pasta and waffles in the same day while on this challenge.  I was satisfied and didn't feel like had did too much damage.  I had a good lower body workout.  I am concerned about whether or not I am hitting my 10's, I wonder if I am pushing myself enough.  

• Hi all!  Another 40 year old who started on January 2nd here!  I'd love to join your group.  I'll post more later... right now I'm off to the gym for my fasting cardio.  If I don't go soon, I'm gonna starve!

Thank you for the Scripture reminders.  I've been anxiously anticipating some obstacles to this challenge (my baby will be having surgery in week 8 and will be in the hospital for a week).  Of course, I'm anxious about the surgery in general.  But we're in good hands.  :)

• Im 32 myand started on the second as well.  This is the beginning of a journey for me.  I have about 80 lbs that I am going to lose over 3 challenges.  And this is my first one.  It has been great so far.  I have taken off over 6 lbs already ( my scale battery died, so not exactly sure the total), and it has been great and challenging so far.  Good luck to everyone

• Happy Tuesday Week 2!

LBWO yesterday has me pretty sore this morning, especially in the glutes!  For my calf exercise I've been doing 30 second bursts (6 mph) on 18% incline treadmill, running on ball of feet and toes.  It really burns, not to mention great cardio too!

HIIT today was good.  Starting to feel like my old self from before "Active Rest".  8 mph was my "10" last week, but not so much this week.  Went for 9 mph on last cycle to raise the bar for next time.

VillageJen - Praying for your baby's surgery.  Keep us posted as the time nears.  Sounds like you have a sound faith in Christ, as it should be.

Welcome to all the new names.  Reminder:  Get your bios filled and a picture posted to your profile, it makes it more like talking to real human beings instead of a bunch generic "lego people" in the little picture icon LOL.

Blessings <><

Stephon

• You'll be ok, I'll be praying for you. Bring a nice cooler already packed goodies that will help. along with plenty of water. You'll do just fine. Be confident!!