50+ and determined...

• Help, I need motivation and support.  As miserable as I feel and look, you'd think that was all the motiviation I need.  I'm a 51 year old female and I have to got to change my ways!  My ways of thinking, eating, drinking and exercising.  When I am in the midst of doing it all right I feel GREAT!  What makes that change?  I think Planning is key.  Please give me all the advice you can, I'm willing and able.  Been an athlete early in life, just let so much go...I'm starting January 2!

WenFit 2012

WenFit 2012

• Hi WenFit,

I started BFL when I was almost 49, and will turn 50 this summer.  I've done three challenges in 2011 and lost total of 52 lbs.  I'd be glad to help you in any way I can, but I think the first thing you could do to help me help you is complete your profile biography and upload some "before" pictures to your profile.  It's painful, but on top of being kindof therapeutic; it gives others some idea of where you are and what we can do to be of help to you.  I and some others are also starting another challenge Jan 2.

Blessings <><

Stephon

• I wanted to share for those who are reading what I've done for my work out/meal pages.  I took the food and work out pages and reduced them and copied them.  I prepared a entire 12 weeks of pages by putting them in order that they should go of the BFL workout.  I took those pages to a Kinko's and had them copy and bind them in a spiral so it can be folded over like a spiral notebook.  It's 5 1/2 x 8 1/2.  And cost me about $20.00  The cover is clear and the first page is the 12-week schedule (that I have an overview of the entire 84 days and car mark through as I go)  I then put a workout page with a food page facing each other so that everyday that I work out the left side is the workout page and the right side is the food page.  

I alternated upper/food, cardio/food, lower/food, cardio/food, upper/food, cardio/food, and free day has a lined page for journaling and food journal.

I did the same for week 2 beginning with lower workout.  I created an entire 84 page workout/food journal.  I've attached pics below.  I'm excited to have it all together, like my bible!  It's small enough to take to the gym and carry in my purse.     I'll work on getting before pics, that's a hard one to swallow.

Cover Page with 12 week schedule

Day 1 with upper body workout and food journal

Day 2 with cardio workout and food journal

Day 3 lower workout with food journal, etc. and finally,

Day 7 (Free Day) with journaling and food journal

WenFit 2012

• Hey Wenfit: the 50's is a great time of life. Having turned 52 this passed summer I feel like I'm in the prime of my life. And BFL has helped to to feel 20 years younger and I'm still a work in progress and I feel my best fitness days are still ahead of me. You can do this.....all the best!!!!

fit4life "The dream must be bigger than the pain"

• xxxxx

• Hi!  I'm also in my 50's, I'll be 52 this summer.  I successfully completed BFL 11 years ago, and lost 50 lbs, went from a 14 to 7!!!  Unfortunately, I'm back to where I started.  I'm going to start again tomorrow.  I would l love to support & encourage you, if you'll do the same for me.  Maybe we should start an 50+ blog.  I'll look into it.  I know that I/we can do this.  I just know that being 11 years older & the problems that go along with the aging is going to make it slower than before.  I will succeed though, and so will you!

• Dear WenFit,

You can do it because you are being honest.  I am probably in worse shape as  I'm 59 and my goal is 70 pounds.  

I think to succeed I will need to get an exercise partner to keep me motivated.  My son and his wife plan to also start BFL tomorrow and that will help get me started.

• I'm 51 and restarting January 2 and am looking forward to losing 15 lbs and getting into my old size 8 jeans!

Something that works for me is exercising first thing in the morning (before I think too much and talk myself out of it) is a key to getting my workouts done consistently.  Where I need to focus is on meal planning and preparation. I have a tendency to grab meals on the spur of the moment - whatever sounds good and, on week nights, is quick to fix.

Happy New Year and Best Wishes,

Ruby

• Hi WenFit0212.  I love this - I am starting the BFL challenge and know I have to bring the workout page to the gym with me but wasn't sure how to go about it.  I'm going to use your model and create one for myself.  Thanks!

• Hello, I'd like to journey along with you if you don't mind.  I turn 50 this summer, and started BFL this time last year.  I'm trying to get two more challenges in before I turn 50, just as a personal goal.

Had my first full blown UBWO this morning since November!  I just did light cardio and stuck to the eating plan through December to rest up from three consecutive challenges last year.  Wow, it doesn't take long to get "out of shape" from taking it easy!  It was a tough workout, and I really hated rolling out in the early morning again (just like when I first started BFL).  But I know from experience that my body will get over it and adapt within a week or two, so I just got up, downed my water, and headed to the gym like always.

RubyS - I'm not a big "meal planner" either.  I keep generally stocked up on compliant ingredients to build meals, but I also know exactly what I can eat at different fast food sources as well (like Taco Bell "Fresco" menu, Subway, etc..) and I happen to really like protein bars and shakes, so that works for me too.  But I also want to be a better advance meal planner, so I'm with you there and will work on it during this challenge.

Sue52 - Kudos for setting a goal and going after it.  Glad your kids are going along with you, that helps!  So far, I haven't got any of my family on board.

Ummi3 - Great that you are coming back!  I too like the idea of a 50+ blog or something.  One of my goals is to "spread the word" to all my friends that are even 40+ who have already given up and settled for growing old, weak and fat - that they DON'T HAVE TO!  

AnaLucia - You are where I found myself!  I decided at 48, I wanted to be in the best shape of my life by my 50th birthday.  I think it's a great time to start (mid-40s) so you GO!

fit4life - I agree totally!  I may even feel better than I did when I was 20!  My goal is to die going full speed ahead, and not slide down the slipper slope of declining health, weakness and disease; like I've seen with so many of my loved ones!  When my body gives out, I want it to be because the Lord just called me home.

I look forward to getting to know all of you.  You can find out everything (and then some) about me on my profile, cause I have yammered enough already.

Blessings <><

Stephon

• Dear WenFit, Sue52, and other 50+ women,  

I am 55 and ready to go!  I got into great shape about 5 years ago, then I allowed a long series of stressful life events to pull me off track, began "eating my feelings" and sitting around wondering where all this belly fat was coming from.  (uh, maybe from eating a box of cookies all by myself? do ya think maybe??) Now I am ready to stop feeling fat, depressed, achy, and sorry for myself and do what I know I am capable of.  I would love support to help me walk my talk.  My greatest internal battle is saying no when stress brings on cravings for sweets.  Added to that is my husband's health issues have made him lose a lot of weight, and he has to eat many high-calorie foods daily, plus he is a great cook--as long as he uses lots of butter, animal fats, white flour, and etc.  I've told him to focus on his own feeding needs for the next 3 months and I will handle my own simple meals. That's a start!  All us 50+ women may benefit from sharing support and challenging each other. Any otyher takers?

I am my ONLY obstacle--everything else is just EXCUSES

• Good morning everyone!

This looks like a lovely group of people over on this thread! Maybe I'll migrate and try to bring my  pals with me. ( Pals from newbie staring oct. 3 thread)

I'm starting official challenge II today. I finished challenge I on christmas day. I've actually been doing BFL workouts for about ten years ... but it was not always consistently enough. Sometimes I'd do it for many many months,other times I'd do other things for a year ... I think it's a great workout plan though so I decided to go with it again. The structured approach is very helpful, it puts my mind at ease and helps me feel "successful" every day.

I was not thrilled with the results I got from the challenge I just finished. I know I built muscle and I did shrink a little but I don't look dramatically different. I am still happy with having done it and I am thankful for the healthy body I have. I am not overweight to begin with so I don't get that advantage of feeling great because of losing fat or getting substantially smaller and having people notice. And it's winter so my arms don't even show! So, I have to be thankful for what I have and continue on and expect to see further benefits ( even if they're subtle)

I am not succinct so I'm sorry if it's a chore to read this .... part of what I was wanting to say there is that for  those who have pounds they'd like to lose, they can see it as somewhat of an advantage because they are more likely to see real changes than a person of normal weight who is aiming for changes that less obvious. I realize that for all of us part of the "success" is in doing it, in taking care of the bodies we are given, in doing what is right and best. That truly is satisfying and is a success in and of itself. I am happy with that right now but I'd still like to see some changes that are more visually substantial.

Hope you're all having a good day. (I'm quitting now so I don't get the same reputation for writing books in these posts! I'll aim for moderation instead)

I look forward to getting to know all of you and encouraging each other.

Patricia

• Hey gang: I think this 50+ thread is a great idea. It is very encouraging to know that many others in your age bracket are excited and motivated about fitness. I think we can all look and feel many years younger and give those 20's and 30's a run for their money. Let's show them how it's done!!

Solidrocker: Just read your profile....great stuff. I too am a believer and lean on Christ every day. I like your attitude about going out strong....being the best you can be. One of my goals is to never have to take any kind of medication as long as I live.

fit4life "The dream must be bigger than the pain"

• 50 is the new 30 - we just have to convince our bodies and we WILL!   Today I started. Upper body, I'm so out of shape I'm already sore! Ate great today!  Never hungry when I do it right and don't let too much time lapse between meals.  It works for me, one who loves to eat, so when I'm not hungry I feel successful!  Cardio tomorrow and another good day on food plan, come on girls and guys we ARE going to do it. This is so therapeutic to talk to y'all through this forum. I haven't shared with anyone but family I'm doing this out of fear of failure. Thanks for all the support!  Drink lots of water, sleep well, see ya tomorrow ;)

WenFit 2012

• a Support Blog sounds like fun. I'm 52 and finding out I"ve never had to lose until now. It's a matter of I think for me to intensify the workout.  I will look forward to see how everyone is doing. ! my 2nd day was a bit harder as I"m back to work and in a sit down job. looking forward to seeing you ladies/gentlemen