New to this way of life. Couple of questions.

• Day 3.

First off, this is by far the easiest "diet" I have ever been on.  The food is good.  And, I actually (on day 3) get sick of thinking "3:30....time to eat!"  

The workouts are another issue.  UpperBody=No Problem. LowerBody=problem.

I'm 6'1" 270.  My goal is 230 by the end of this.

Couple of Questions: (Thanks in advance for your replies)

1. Is beer ok on my day off?

2. I've been drinking 1 6oz cup of coffee every morning....black with splenda....AND drinking 3 glasses of water with it.  The person that turned me on to this said that was what he "thought"....add an extra glass of water if you drink coffee.  Is this correct?

3. Lower body workout.  I was able to complete the upper body workout with ease.  I was dog tired when it was over, I hit all of the "10"s etc...., but I was able to complete the workout.  This morning, I was hitting "10s" on the 4th set of squats, the 3rd set of lunges, had no problems with the calves, then hit a wall with the ab workout.  by the 12th crunch on set 1 I was dying.  I got 4 sets out of it.....but it hurts when I laugh.  Is this ok?  I mean, I don't need to quite, go get into a little better shape, and then try this again, do I????

4. Question about stuff not covered (or at least....missed by me) in the book.  Are "I can't believe it's not butter" 0 calorie, salt, splenda, pepper, hot sauce, cajun seasonings, garlic salt, crystal light 5 calorie packs, OK???? Anything I should know.

5. Are the pictures on the book really people after 12 weeks.....or is this years later after doing the b-f-l 3,4 times?

Thanks

• Glad to have you fesic01!

You may say this is the easiest diet you have ever been on, but it is also very strict- you have alot of mental muscle to build!

1- Not too sure- from what I hear, most people are avoiding it almost altogether.

2- Coffee dehydrates you, so I would drink maybe 2 or 3 extra glasses of water for every cup of coffee you drink.  I know some people drink coffee while on this program, I'm not sure how they make it. You can ask on the BFL Coffee Crew forum.

3- SOunds like you hit your 10 with your abs! Good for you! And yes, it is normal to feel sore, especially the first few weeks, but you will get used yo it and find you love the burning sensation.

4- I understand any sweetners should be used with sparsity. I cut down on my Splenda- use it once a day now. I try not to use too much garlic salt (I'm an addict) because it is salt and retains water. I do, however, use hot sauce, but also limit this, as it has alot of sodium.  

Crystal light is a sweetner. I would suggest using water with a slice or two of lemons.

Skip the butter. There are better substitutes out there. Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for example. and btw- limiting your bread will limit your want for butter. Two for one!  :)

5- Some pics are from people who have finished it only once, some have done it multiple times. Don't be discouraged- I have seen AMAZING results from people I talk to- in just 12 weeks. YOU can be there too!

Good luck!!

Stacy Lynn

• Stacy just to clarify one thing...  The champions photos are of the 12 week challenge that they submitted even if they did multiple challenges, the pics must be of that 12 weeks progress.

fesic01

The hesitation behind alcohol is that your body will stop what it's doing to build muscle until it's finished processing the alcohol.  

Good for you on the sore abs!!  Progress.

One other thing, even if it takes you longer than 12 weeks don't be disappointed, commit to moving forward no matter.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• fesic01 -

I'm in the same boat as you.  Just started on Monday.  I'm STILL hurting from my UB WO on Monday!!!  It's cool though I feel like that means I worked hard.  I'm hoping it lets up tomorrow when I have to do it again.  So I'm thinking that being sore is a good thing!  Keep up the good work.

• If you pushed your abs to failure, and you feel them for the next couple days - Goal Achieved!!!

You will be stronger next Abs work out, and will be able to do more.

I am at a point I have to hold weights during my abs work out to tire them out to failure in the allotted sets and reps.

Everyone here is dead on!

Keep up the good work!!!

"What you put in, is what you are going to get back."

- Terry

• 1. Is beer ok on my day off?

I had a beer every now and then on my day off.  I don't see it as being an issue.

2. I've been drinking 1 6oz cup of coffee every morning....black with splenda....AND drinking 3 glasses of water with it.  The person that turned me on to this said that was what he "thought"....add an extra glass of water if you drink coffee.  Is this correct?

Yes.  I drink two to three cups of coffe daily and have two to three extra cups of water.

3. Lower body workout.  I was able to complete the upper body workout with ease.  I was dog tired when it was over, I hit all of the "10"s etc...., but I was able to complete the workout.  This morning, I was hitting "10s" on the 4th set of squats, the 3rd set of lunges, had no problems with the calves, then hit a wall with the ab workout.  by the 12th crunch on set 1 I was dying.  I got 4 sets out of it.....but it hurts when I laugh.  Is this ok?  I mean, I don't need to quite, go get into a little better shape, and then try this again, do I????

First:  I found the lower body workout to be the one I had to make the most adjustments to. 

Second:  I'm not sure that hitting your tens in your fourth set is good.

Third:  Tied into second.  You'll need to adjust your weights so you don't burnout before the workout is over.  Target the tenth intensity for your last set of each group...very important.

Fourth:  You're damn right it's good that it hurts when you laugh. 

4. Question about stuff not covered (or at least....missed by me) in the book.  Are "I can't believe it's not butter" 0 calorie, salt, splenda, pepper, hot sauce, cajun seasonings, garlic salt, crystal light 5 calorie packs, OK???? Anything I should know.

Good question.  I personally used a tiny tiny bit of Olivina margarine on my toast in the morning.  The other stuff, sodium content watch closely your intake. As for Crystal Light, no idea.

5. Are the pictures on the book really people after 12 weeks.....or is this years later after doing the b-f-l 3,4 times?

Twelve weeks mate unless otherwise specified.

EDIT: I see these questions were already answered and commented upon. Ahh well a combination of answers isn't a bad thing.