Take 2 for me - almost 9 years later

• I'm going to post what I've done over the last 3 weeks here. Why not? I love feedback and advice and thoughts...and I'm new to the boards.

I picked up BFL about 9 years ago and went the 12 weeks and then some, and then I fell away from it, off and one.  Never going past week 4 any one time. Recently, I moved into a new home and I'm just feeling like I'm so overdue for SO MUCH. So, I decided to tweak my program a little. I am currently doing 2 days of weights, 3 days of cardio, and 1 day of circus training or swimming (I am lucky enough to live near a trapeze school and it's one heck of a workout in a 2-hour class!). And then of course, I have my free day.

I just get bored with 3 days of weights and 3 days of cardio. I had to do something to shake myself up, so I'm thinking this will be helpful. I also worry about an old shoulder injury that flares up now and then, so I try to be mindful of how much weight I'm lifting over my head. And yes, swinging my body weight around a trapeze bar doesn't really help the shoulder...but come ON, it's so much FUN, and who doesn't like to fly? :-)

Goals: get in shape for photo shoot (for the fun of it, just some goofy beefcake-esque 50's parody pictures; but to actually have the body for them!); do 10 pull-ups unassisted, which I've never been able to do; and see one level of the mysterious abs. Not a six pack, since I'm not genetically pre-disposed, but a flatter belly overall.

Week 1:

Day 1 - 20 min. cardio, treadmill

Day 2 - 20 min. cardio, treadmill

Day 3 - 20 min. cardio, treadmill (anyone see a pattern here?)

Day 4 - weights, upper body

Day 5 - 20 min. cardio, elliptical / pull-up machine / crunches

Day 6 - 15 min. swimming laps (I need to learn how to incorporate swimming so it's effective cardio or it's part of a healthy routine) - pointers and suggestions welcome.

Day 7 - rest

I'll post the other weeks eventually.

Here's what I'd love to hear about:

1. Anyone else out there working with or around an old shoulder injury? How do you manage? Do you restrict the amt of weight you lift, even if it means not hitting a 9 or a 10? Do you try and do other non-BFL listed exercises? IN short: what's working for you?

2. Have you added swimming into the routine? How so? How do you find your 10 in that?

3. Is it OK for me to add pull-ups to one of my cardio days each week? I know we're supposed to rest our bodies, but I'm not sure when else to fit it in, and my upper body gets zonked on upper-body days.

Any and all thoughts welcome....

• Hi,

I, like you tend to get bored in the gym so I think it's great you added a trapeze class! As long as it gets your HR up it's exercise and it's always good to mix things up and challenge your body in new ways. I also have an old shoulder injury (partially torn rotator cuff from volleyball 20+ years ago). I'm a nurse and am always pulling up patients, etc. so I do have to be mindful of it. Be careful with swimming as this can aggravate it depending on where your injury is. I do swim once in a while (once every week or two) and that seems to be ok. As far as weights go I'm very careful when doing shoulder presses, etc. and never do anything involving lifting in the front as that aggravates my shoulder more. I've learned to work around it though. Good luck!

• This is awesome and super helpful - thank you so much!

Trapeze is great because it uses your entire core, your back, your shoulders and arms.  It definitely gets my heart rate up, since it's a lot of adrenaline and constant movement.  WHen you're not in the air, you're climbing a ladder, or stretching, or bouncing on a trampoline to practice a few twisting moves and to practice landing in your back in the net.  That net is NOT a soft landing, and I always seem to scrape myself somehow. But it's so much fun, and I'm pretty sore for a day or so afterward.

It sounds like you've worked around your injury well and you know what to do.  I think I'm just listening to my body and seeing what works and what doesn't. I guess I'm concerned about not hitting a 10 vs avoiding an injury.  But I think avoiding injury is more important, and then I can find something else to do that lets me hit a 10 without risking injury...is that the right way to go? Seems to be.

• Hey--me too!!!!  I did BFL in 2000 but then a divorce made me veer off course before I finished. (Okay, I ALLOWED the divorce to get me off course.) I started the program several times but never made it into the 3rd week.

In 2008 I got serious and did 3 rounds back to back. I went from a size 20-22 to a 10-12. I felt amazing!  I loved every minute of the program.  

Then life got in the way...actually cancer did.  Now, I just reached my year 2 of cancer-free and am starting again. I just started yesterday, 4/4/11.  

Fortunately, I kept all my old journals, books, notes, etc.. I am having a ball going through them all.

Hey, I figure we're ahead of the game since we have the "background". I am finding that my body remembers the feeling of the free weights.

The cardio is where I was always the weakest. I really don't like it and feel clunky..even at in my best shape after round 3, I never really got comfortable with it.

Anybody have the recipe for the Pumpkin Muffins from way back then? They didn't have oatmeal in them...all the ones I see now do. Those without (I think from year 2000) were fantastic...and you could eat 6 small ones for a meal.

I think I'll post that question. They were yummy...and you could eat 6!!!!

I'm excited to see some old timer's here.  

BTW, I'm an old timer with having done it years before...but, also my age.  I just turned 60.

BFL! BFL! BFL!

• Sounds like a solid plan!  Good luck - we're all in this together.