WHAT HAPPENS TO PROTEIN IF WE DON'T USE IT? WHERE DOES IT GO??

• Thanks, I understand it much better now!  You're using the manufacturer's labels to convert portion sizes in volume units (cups) into mass units (grams). 

Jacium

Once I discovered the joys of weight training, all other passions were transcended.

Jacium

• I am absolutely positive that what you just said is accurate, but I could not wrap my head around it.  (English major here)

Yes, I go by the label and known amounts for natural foods, like fruit.  It's easier then for me to be consistent.  Also, my darn hands seem to get bigger when I'm more hungry or prefer a certain thing.  :)

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• You're one lucky lady to have such magical hands!  Sounds like they can read your mind (stomach?) and adjust accordingly....

Once I discovered the joys of weight training, all other passions were transcended.

Jacium

• Well one of the reasons theres a freeday in the bfl program is because it acts as a kind refeed day for being in a deficet , if a very obese person 250 to 300lbs has 2500 to 3000 cals on there 6 goods days and then also have a big freeday, they are going to have very slow to no fatloss

Another point if we were to follow that rule is as we lose weight we have to keep making our portions smaller

Lastly fat is dead weight muscle is active living tissue which needs calories, am I to asume that if  guy packs on 25lbs of muscle and loses 50lbs of fat he will be eating less because he simply weighs less even if he has a lot more muscle

• You are reading too much into the free day.  Bill also says it's okay to have just 3 shakes on your free day and nothing else.  You don't need a refeed, but do need to trick the body.  That can as easily be accomplished by having 1 day of 250 calories more in broccoli.  I'm not saying I do it that way, just that it serves the same purpose.

As for your other question, it depends.  If the man is still losing fat then yes, he would eat less, even with more live muscle.  If at goal, then he would increase his carbs with the first 3 meals of the day, even double them.  That's in the book.  

Your muscle can only use so much protein and after that it's stored as fat just like anything else that's extra.  

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• I am just starting out on all of this, like many (day 9 today) and this protein question has come up for me.  I feel, based on my body weight of 185, that matching carbs to protein would put me on the high side for carbs if we are, indeed, supposed to "match" them.  

But I guess that is my question: should the amount of protein vs carbs be relative, equal, what?  I want to make sure I'm getting enough protein, but also want to make sure I don't end up over doing the carbs.

Thanks for any thoughts, guidance, references, etc.  And I apologize if this is a redundant question: i read this whole thread and still didn't quite find what I was looking for. :-)

• Good Morning!   I'm hoping you can help me.....when you say 1 gram of protein per lean body mass, is that my ideal weight?   I've been eating 1 gram of protein at the weight I'm currently at....wow...I hope I'm not sabotaging myself....help!!  LOL

• I'd like to chime in on soemthing that was brought up,  if no one minds. Earlier in the thread, the topic "can too much protien can affect the kidneys"? The answer is yes. I actually have 210 dialysis patients that I manage and a few of them ended up with ESRD (End Stage Renal Disease) due to too much protien in their diets. Of course, their were other factors as well. The conventional theory is that high protien diets do not affect kidney function in those with normal kidney function. The problem with a lot of people is, they do not know if they have diminishing kidney function until they develop symptoms associated with CKD (Chronic Kidney Disease) and/or thier physician finds out on a routine hematology screening.  So before participating in a program where high protien consumption is being promoted, please see your physician first.  In most cases, what your physican will be looking at is:

a) BUN - Urea Nitrogen is substance secreted by the liver, and removed from the blood by the kidneys. Normal ranges: 7-25 mg/dl

b) Creatinine - A waste product the body produces when it converts food into energy, as a result of normal muscle activity. Normal Ranges: 0.7 to 1.4 mg/dl.

c)  Glomerular Filtration Rate (GFR)- This measures the rate at which your kidneys filter your blood and is considered the best overall measure of kidney function.  Normal ranges:  Above 90mL/min/1.73m2 and no proteinuria

Here are some of the medical conditions that will put you at risk for developing CKD, but not limited to:

Diabetes-the leading cause in the U.S. for CKD

Hypertension-High Blood Pressure

Glomerulonephritis -the inflammation and damage of the filtration system of the kidneys

Polycystic kidney disease-(Mainly hereditary)  multiple cyst on the kidneys

Analgesic Nephropathy- Long term use of Analgesics i.e. Ibuprofen, Acetaminophen, etc.

Atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries

Enlarged Prostate

HIV

Sickle Cell Disease

Illicit Drug Abuse

Renal Cancer

Autoimmune Disorders- Lupus, Rheumotid Arthritis etc

Chronic Urinary Tract Infections

I hope this helps. Sorry if I got too technical.

Mike

The only limitations that you have , are those that you set upon yourself

• tulamae and jenp ~ I am eating 1:1 ratio of carb to protein.  I am about 160 pounds but I am only eating 130 g protein and 130g carbs.  I try to keep a 40/40/20 diet, 40% protein, 40% carbs, and 20% fat.  I think this is a good mix to give you what you need in the gym as far as fuel and energy go and should help you figure out what you're trying to do.  I had struggled with this question years ago, and now in my second challenge this year I feel I finally understand it.  If I'm going to be a little lopsided on the scale of protein to carbs I would be slightly heavier on protein, but just slightly, like 10-20g max.

Hope that helps!

"Success is figuring out a way  NOT to quit"