WHAT HAPPENS TO PROTEIN IF WE DON'T USE IT? WHERE DOES IT GO??

• Ok, can you eat too much Protein?

I read somewhere that the body can only absorb 30g in any one sitting. We all know where carbs get stored if we eat too many, what about protein? Does excess amounts store as fat?

• Great question! I am not an expert but I think your body cannot store extra protein. If you don't need all of the protein you have eaten, (we need to define how much is to much) it is broken down into ammonia and organic acids, which are used for energy. Any excess is stored as fat.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this?

• Hey Lori, I can always rely on you to be right back with a good balanced answer. Sounds about right. I'm sticking to 30g per meal but a friend of mine chucks down 3 Labrada shakes a day that has 60 grams of Protein per shake. I thought that was pretty hardcore and i said to him I thought if he ate too much Protein it would store as fat unless he was using the energy in serious weight training which he isn't???

PS HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

I'm sure looking as awesome as you do is the best birthday present anyone could ever give you!!

Have a great day!! X

• You can get kidney problems from too much protein

Live life with passion!

• Hello my friend, Thank you for the Birthday message. It sure feels good to be the big "40"!!!

• Is too much protein a bad thing???????

• Hasam,

I would like to point out why protein is essential on many fronts. Protein is necessary to our bodies' normal functions. It assists in synthesizing hormones, maintaining fluid balance, and regulating such vital functions as building antibodies against infection, and blood clotting.Protein is also a building block for our muscles, bones, cartilage, skin, hair, and blood.

Can to much protein be harmful? As My Decade pointed out, to much protein puts your kidneys into overdrive. As your kidneys rid your body of excess protein you can lose a significant amount of water, which puts you at risk of dehydration, particularly if you exercise heavily. The dehydration also strains your kidneys and can put stress on your heart.

It is recommend to consume 1 gram of protein per. pound of weight. For example, I weight 113 pounds and therefore should consume 113 grams of protein per. day. Now how much is to much and is harmful? I would have to ask a physician to answer that correctly.

As reiterated protein is essential and especially important while building a hard-lean body.

Regards,

Lori

• I'm no expert, but everything I've read seems to indicate that a pretty good ballpark is 1 gram of protein for each pound of lean body mass.  Figure that out and then divide it by the number of meals you're eating each day, and that should give you a decent measure of how many grams of protein you should be consuming each meal.  As far as too much protein being bad for you... anybody with an existing kidney disorder should not consume much protein, but again, in all the reading I've done, I never ran across any proof that too much protein is harmful to someone without a kidney problem.  Protein has a higher thermic value... takes a lot more energy to digest, so more of it gets used up by the body and less of the excess would be stored as fat, unlike carbs.  This is just from stuff I've read in books on that subject.

• yikes! now I'm worried :(

• I am a nurse and Lori is correct. No need to worry though. Eat 1 gram of protein per. pound of weight. It is  very difficult to eat to much protein. You would literally have to eat 24/7 Even eating 1 gram per. pound takes planning.

• Yeah, 1 gram per pound of body weight is the norm.  The book I was reading was using lean body mass as the guide because somebody might be way overfat and weigh 300 pounds and then try to consume 300 grams of protein, which would be excessive for them and perhaps lead to more weight gain.

• So if the 1 gram per lb bodyweight ratio is to work, if I am currently 220lbs and 21% body fat (and technically obese) should I base by protein intake on an imaginary 'vision' of a lean me say weighing 200lbs and ingest 200 grams of protein?? Or do I take 220 grams as I am now??

The only reason I am asking all this is because I think I may have been taking too little over the last 7 weeks. It was only when I sat down and counted the meals/portions I realised some days i'm only getting about 140grams. i don't want my metabolism to slow by not eating enough.

• It's funny someone should ask about being 300 pounds.  Up until 300 the 1 gram per pound rule works.  After that it's too much.  It goes by scale weight and not ideal or lean body mass.  We need to eat for the body we have.  It's simple to get in that amount of protein per day and when you think about it, works out logically. 

The "average" woman is 150 pounds. 

That's 150 grams of protein and 150 grams of carbs per day. 

Each gram of protein and each of carb = 4 calories.  4x300 (protein with carb) = 1200.  Now when you add in the fat that makes it 1500 calories for a 150 pound woman. 

3.5 ounces of chicken is about 25g of protein so this actually works out more easily than one might think.

150/6 = 25 grams per BFL meal.  We really should not be quoting the 20/20 "rule" unless a woman is very petite.  It's not enough for most women, at least for all 6 meals.  No biggie if a few go below. 

That's not too much on the kidneys. 

It's important to note though that protein is not "free" calories.  People talk about carbs being evil and upping the protein as though it's limitless, but neither are true.  Your body really only can handle about 30-35 grams of protein at once.  It doesn't just shut down the kidneys, but it is extra and will be stored as such.

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• That totally makes sense, Jessica.  That was a good example.

• I have to respectively disagree with you jessica and say the amount of protein one should eat be based on lean weight not overall bodyweight, I mean think of it this way just say you take a very out of shape man or women of 250lbs and then they get into even worse shape and gain another 25lbs of fat but their lean mass is the same as they were when they were 250lbs, does this mean they should eat more protein just because they gained more fat, also this program is about the portion rule, a persons hands are the same size despite what weight they are