Where do I fit with Body for Life?

• I'm doing BFL to lose about 8-10 lbs. I'm on Week 2 of the challenge. Last week felt great! I had lots of energy and I gave it my absolute all in the workouts. I watched my eating fairly well, although my sugar and carbs were probably a bit high. Last week I lost about 1.5 lbs or so.

However, this week I'm really not feeling it. I feel like I'm not reaching my high points at all and I'm constantly hungry all the time. I know I'm definitely eating too much and it's frustrating because I know my workouts aren't compensating that. I'm a runner and I'm used to burning a LOT more calories than I do with BFL...but now this week I'm having a hard time keeping my portions in check because I feel so hungry.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out what's best for me. Prior to taking on the BFL challenge, I was already doing strength training 1-2x per week with circuits. These circuits were tough and I usually work 2 muscle groups at a time. My heart rate was up the whole time. The other workouts I did during the week were a mixture of various training runs.

I am putting running on the back burner for awhile to concentrate on BFL, but I know for a fact I'm not burning as many calories, and I wasn't unfit before starting the challenge. I know abs are made in the kitchen and most importantly I need to watch my eating, but I feel like I have an uncontrollable appetite.

What should I do about this?

• Do you follow the portions from the BFL book and the water intake too? Basically you should be drinking a glass of water with every meal.  The water acts as a filler after you eat your meal.  The portions from the Eating for Life book seem good.  I just had the Egg Sandwich from that book and it was great and supper filling.  For too long I was making, me recipes with white rice and white bread and never felt full, especially because was kidding myself into thinking that TACO bell was healthy if I got chicken and no cheese but it was on a white flour pita which was basically 2 tablespoons of sugar.  Good luck to you and I hope you get the Eating for Life book because I use it probably twice a day!

• Hello:

I, too, did not have a lot to lose (you can look at my profile, if you wish).  I was gradually gaining weight after having surgery, and wanted to give this program 100% to see where it could take me.  I also have worked out my entire adult life with weights & cardio, and had a fairly clean diet.

First of all, congrats on your decision.  I think you will be pleased with the program, if you give it time.

Giving up running, for the time being, is a good decision.  However the HIIT workouts are a really important part of the program.  If youdo too much cardio, you start to lose some of that muscle you work so hard to build.  If you stick to the HIIT and hit your 10's, meaning you dont' feel like you could go another minute (it's called the puke factor for me), then that is all the cardio you will need.

So, you lost 1.5#'s the first week, and your eating wasn't that good.  Imagine where you'd be if your diet was spot on.  If you are not running like you used to and you are eating the correct portions of the right foods at the right times and drinking all your water, you shouldn't be getting hungry.  Maybe you can post a day's worth of meals here, so we can help you out.

I don't know why you don't feel you are hitting your high points; you have to dig deeper within to figure that out.  As far as the circuit training you were doing, you were including some cardio within the program.  When you do the weights for BFL, you don't need to do that, since you are getting your cardio on alternating days.  On weight days, you want to focus on building that muscle.  So dig deep and lift as hard as you can, and focus on the muscle group you are working.  If you lift slow and lower slowly, you are gonna feel the burn.

You mentioned abs, so I am assuming they are an issue for you.  Yes, 80% of this program is in the kitchen, so that is the starting point.  Until you get that tackled, the rest will be slower to follow.  I did work my abs on Cardio days, so technically three times per week, instead of just LBWO days, as suggested in the program.

You can do this, just trust the program and let it work for you.  Don't let your mind play those games with you.

I did the same thing, really.  The first few weeks, I tried to justify a little sneak/snack here and there by telling myself I didn't have "that much to lose" or it really wouldn't hurt me much.  But it did.  Once, I really committed 110% and trusted the program, I started to see results.  I only lost 12#'s, which put me even 6# lower than my goal weight, but I also lost body fat & inches.  If you have not taken body fat, measurements or pictures, I suggest you do that ASAP!

Best of luck to you on your journey!!

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• I had a similar issue, what I did was cut out all sugars for a couple of weeks, even fruts... it is the sugars that make you hungry, if you stick to the EAS shakes you will not get hungry... I gradually added sugar back (fruits mainly) and I feel great, I no longer feel like I'm doing BFL, now it is normal and routine... hope that helps.

• Thanks for the replies!

I am still doing the HIIT cardio with running on a treadmill--what I mean by "putting running on the back burner" is that I'm not currently training for anything so the only time I run is during HIIT. And by "abs are made in the kitchen" I just meant that as the general phrase--I'm not concerned about what I'm supposed to be doing to work my abs, I just meant that what you eat matters more for fat loss.

I felt like I wasn't hitting my high points--I was doing what I was doing last week but I didn't feel as fatigued/shaky afterwards and it didn't feel as challenging. I even added more weight but I just feel like I'm missing something. I do feel like I hit high points in HIIT, but that's the only time.

Maybe my problem was that I sped up my cadence a little bit? I know I was always going over the alloted time for the weight workouts, so I tried to speed it up so I would finish in the 47 minutes or whatever it was. Do you think it's more beneficial for me to just take it slow and feel that burn than it is to finish in the recommended amount of time?

For example, my breakfast this morning was a toasted whole grain english muffin with 1 tbsp peanut butter (all natural, no sugar) and a little bit of organic jam. I also had a container of greek yogurt for protein. I had 26 grams of protein, 5 grams of fiber, about 40 grams carbs. I was ravenous after not even two hours. Keep in mind that my usual breakfast before starting BFL was 1/2 cup oatmeal with pb and banana--very little protein but it kept me full for HOURS.

I snacked on a Larabar because I was teaching so that was all I could do, and then for lunch I had a ham sandwich on whole wheat bread with about 1/2 ounce cheese, an orange, and some bell pepper strips. Filled me up at the time but I was extremely hungry within two hours.

I lost 10 lbs in the fall with marathon training--I felt great but I was eating far less protein/mostly vegetarian. Now I'm trying to get more protein and I'm ALWAYS hungry.

That was today so far (well, after school I snacked on the rest of the orange (I didn't finish it) and some coffee with milk.) A typical full day would be something like this:

Breakfast: oatmeal with 1/2 banana and pb with an egg on the side

Snack: greek yogurt with other half of banana and some raw oats or handful of cereal

Lunch: Turkey on whole wheat with carrots, cucumber, and peppers, apple

Snack: egg and toast or cottage cheese with no sugar added applesauce

Dinner: Beef Stew

Snack: usually something sweet.

^^That's what I was eating last week and I felt pretty good with that, but this week, even though I don't really feel like I'm making many changes, I'm just always hungry. I know my carbs are probably too high according to BFL, but I've experimented with lower-carb before and I NEED carbs to feel full--I know my body. When I don't eat adequate carbs I'm ravenous. When I eat only eggs for breakfast my stomach doesn't even stop rumbling for a second--they don't fill me up. I need oatmeal or something carby in order to make the hunger go away.