THRILLED TO START!!

• I actually started my BFL regimen (offically) two days ago.  I entered the BFL realm thanks to a friend of mine and we are doing the challenge together.  We meet daily at 4 a.m. at the gym and encourage and lift each other up.  I'm excited to start this journey and have found that I didn't know my legs as well as I thought I did! You see,  I'm an avid cyclist (believe it or not) even with my body size.  I'm currently 5'7" and weigh in excess of 270 pounds.   Albeit I'm obese.. cycling is my passion and in the spring, summer and fall I manage to get in approximately 100 miles weekly.  My weight has varied throughout my lifetime and because I'm nearing 40, it is absolutely mandatory that I lose the excess weight and get fit.  I can only imagine how my cycling performance will be enhanced!!!!  My husband took pictures of me last night an it was one of the most horrid experiences I've ever been subjected to. 

Thankfully, this forum exists as I know that I will refer to it often for guidance, advice and encouragement.

God speed to everyone,

Andrea

• Pics are just that..."before".   Be realistic in your expectations.  It may take you multiple challenges to lose what you want to lose, but it can be done.  I'm living, walking proof of it.  I started just over 300# and in a women's size 22-24 and I'm now 164# size 6-8 and in the best shape of my life.  

Be honest with yourself, especially where your food is concerned.  It took me a long time to stop blaming everyone and every event in my life for my emotional eating.  The bottom line is that I am 100% responsible because that fork doesn't get off that plate and fly in my mouth.  

Be patient with yourself, especially when you have a set back don't throw up your hands and say "well screw it, I messed up that meal so the day is shot".  That is never the case.  If you mess up a meal, isolate why you allowed it to happen (peer pressure, stress, anger, true hunger, loneliness, tiredness).

Most of all believe in yourself always and sooner or later others will have no choice but to believe with you.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Thank you so much Michelle for the insight and inspiration.

• Welcome aboard and congratulations for making a committment to your health and happiness. The "before" picture can be a humiliating experience. I know I had a hard time with mine but the good news is that I could no longer sugar coat the fact that I needed to change. That one picture motivated me to make a committment. I could no longer hide behind turtle necks and Spanx. The picture is really a blessing.

I would highly recommend that you take your measurements, body-fat and progress pictures along the way. Also, write down everything you eat so you are accountable for every morsel.

You have the power to change, push hard everyday in the gym and be proud of your efforts.

Best of luck,

Lori

• Welcome aboard!  I think it's great you started before you're 40.  Some people never start, and at some point they get some serious health issues that interferes with starting.....

I would just suggest that since bicycling is something you do for fun, you choose a different activity for your cardio in the challenge.

Jacium

Once I discovered the joys of weight training, all other passions were transcended.

Jacium

• Andrea:

Welcome aboard.  We are all here rooting you on.  Please check in regularly and keep us posted on your progress.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• Andrea,

Welcome!

Don't worry about your before pics. We have all been there. You will be so glad you have them to compare your after pics to. I didn't take before pics before my first challenge and I wish I had. I would agree with Lori as well. Take measurements and body fat%. They are far superior indicators of your progress. The scale is not your friend and does not offer an accurate measure of your success.

All the best with your challenge!

Dont be a stranger here. There are many great peole here with lots of ideas, encouragement and support. Together we are stronger!

Orrin

• It's been one week.  I try to stay off the scale, but will admit I checked it this morning and I've lost five pounds.   It's a good feeling, but to be honest,  I'm more pleased with my energy level, the ability to abolish sugar, sweets and soda and the clarity in my drive for success!  

This site is wonderful, and thank you everyone for the words of encouragement.   I'm moving forward and looking back is not an option!  

• Way to go! I'm so glad that your focusing on the big picture. Cheers to your success!

• Hi Lori,

Congratulations on your transformation you must feel great. We were wondering if someone can help us with a question on the work out in the gym. Our question is we are under the impression that when doing upper body it should take 46 minutes however if we are doing this together it takes at least double this time by the time we swap waits around etc. Is this ok or should we motivate and help each other and do individual work outs.

Lots of questions and answers required (help) lol

Regards

Catherine and Andrew

• Hi Catherine and Andrew,

Thank you for the friendship request and welcome to Body-For-Life! There are so many wonderful BFLers who can help you along the way. Feel free to ask anyone questions.

In reference to your question concerning the 46 minute rule. I am not an expert on this, but I have read, that the maximum amount of time a weight training session should last is 60 minutes. After 60 minutes the levels of muscle building hormones like growth hormone and testosterone begin to drop.

In addition, the stored carbohydrates in your muscle cells and liver, glycogen, which is the fuel that your muscles use to contract, is depleted. If you weight train more than 60 minutes you will no longer have the hormones or the fuel necessary to produce muscle growth. Continue to train past 60 minutes and you will get impaired recovery which could leads to overtraining.So in my opinion, I would train seperately while weight training. Of cource you can still encourage one another, make each one accountable and train simutaneously on different machines. Good-luck!

Push hard and make every day count!

Regards,

Lori

• Hi Lori,

Thankyou so much for adding us as friends. Today was our first gym session and boy was it hard lol.

we will take note of what you have said and we decided to help eachother and train 1 at a time and the other being there for encouragement., and that little extra push ..

Look forward to chatting with you and please know your picture is my inspiration and is on my motivation list lol xxx

Regards Catherine

• Thank you very much for your gracious compliments! Send me a personal message anytime.

Make it happen. We are all rooting for you!

Lori