I read this paragraph in a book by a famous actress who struggled with her weight most of her life:
"I was in the grocery store with my late husband when I told him that I was upset I lost only 7 pounds after all the hard work . He lifted a frozen chicken out of the freezer and handed it to me. He asked me "do you find it heavy? I said yes. He said "Well, it's six pounds. Now remember that you shed this much weight off your body. Don't you ever belittle your efforts, no matter how small they seem to you".
I read that and I thought WOW. How many things have I done in my life and I completely belittled because they don't match up with someone else's better results.
I thought it would be a good idea to start this thread for all of us to remember all the small changes we did over the past few months and we forgot to celebrate
I am listing mine over the past months
- I quit smoking
- I have cut down from 8 cups of coffee a day to less than 6 a week. To me this is huge as my friends used to call me Ms. Bean because they rarely saw me without a mug of coffee in my hand.
- I went down from 3 spoons of sugar in every mug, to 2 spoons of sugar throughout the whole past two months!
- I went from a bar of chocolate or more a day to this: Half a bar of chocolate is now sitting in my fridge for over two weeks. I am not even thinking about it.
- I have not bought a bottle of cooking oil, or white rice, or white bread in nearly a year!
I felt very motivated and gave myself some credit, that yes, I have failed in so many things but hey.. I succeeded in beating some of my biggest demons.
Courage isn't lack of fear. It's our ability to carry on despite our fear
I'm listing mine but I've been doing this for a couple of years now. I required more than 1 challenge to get to a healthy point in my life. All of these listed happen during my first 12 weeks. :-)
- I get to the gym by 4:30 am (sometimes earlier). during the week and 6 am. on weekends (you couldn't get me out of bed during the week before 5:30 am/9 am on weekends prior to BFL)- I felt better after 1 week- My feet didn’t hurt anymore when I got out of bed in the morning- I was sleeping better and getting to bed at a decent hour- I could breathe better- I could walk a flight of stairs without losing my breath- I could walk down the halls at work without feeling winded- I stopped breathing hard (as if to gasp for air) while sitting- I stopped drinking sodas after 4 weeks- I stopped having heart palpitations (which seemed to happen daily)- I learned to love water without adding flavoring!- I’ve got muscles- I actually motivate people to exercise. LOL! Who knew?!- I got over the fear of falling off the treadmill when running.- I ran on the treadmill! Before all I could do was walk while holding on for dear life.- I wasn’t a runner but now I can run in a 5K!- Imagine that, I went from having a time just walking and being winded to running most of a 5K.- I dropped 6 sizes and lost 62 lbs!- I made a bunch of new likeminded friends!- I’m still doing it! I love this lifestyle. :-)
Best wishes to all of you who are just starting out. You have so much to look forward to and celebrate. :-)
Love you some you...PERSEVERE!
Thank you so much for posting this. I'm looking forward to writing something like this in the future :o)
© Abbott Laboratories,2013