Thanksgiving Survival guide!

• Whether your Thanksgiving meal is at noon or at night, always eat a healthy meal in the morning to avoid overeating later in the day. Try a bowl of oatmeal with raisins or an egg white omelet with veggies. Arriving at your Thanksgiving meal with an empty stomach will only lead to overeating.

Workout before going to Thanksgiving dinner or if Thanksgiving is at your house, put the turkey in the oven and then jump on the treadmill or life weights. Exercise will improve your mood and help you make better eating choices later in the day.

If Thanksgiving dinner is not at your home, offer to bring a side that you know will go well with your diet. That way you will know that there will be at least one item on the menu that you can eat. Offer to bring a veggie tray, steamed carrots or a big green salad.

Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and keep your stomach full. Avoid caffeine and alcohol that can dehydrate you and cause you to overeat.

Remember, food does not need to be the main focus of your Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is about enjoying friends and family and being thankful for all the many blessings throughout the year.

• Thanks Lorig!!!  Lots of good info.

Also remember it is a holiDAY, not a holiWEEK  I say indulge in a little of something you really want, and then send all those leftovers home with someone else...that's what I intend to do.  K...gotta go vacuum.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• I plan to have roasted turkey, mashed potatoes, and green beans at Thanksgiving (meal #3). There is a recipe for pumpkin cheesecake in the Eating for Life cookbook that I am going to bake so that I can have a slice for meal #4. Other than that, business as usual.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• Ohhhh! OK. I'm going to do it! This will be the first thanksgiving I will not be the one stuffed. Great suggestions Lori and BDMom. I am looking forward to this years festivities and totally pumped and grateful for this challenge.

Randy

• Thanks for posting---been thinking about this a lot and frankly, I don't think it will be that hard to do a bfl meal if I decide not to use a free meal this week...Portion of Turkey ***, small baked yam and green beans or salad could easily fit our program.  Pretty cool.  

• Hate to be so different, but Thanksgiving is going to be FREE DAY!  Nope, I'm not going to stuff myself, but I will definitely have some of all my favorites.  Normally, I'm sticking to a free meal instead of a day, but Thanksgiving and Christmas only come once a year.  And this is part of the 'for-life' part.  I do plan on working out as usual in the morning.  Our family will be hosting Thanksgiving, so I am planning on sending everyone home with the leftovers....well most of them.  I do have to leave at least one 'meal' for my family on Friday, but none for me.  I think were safe there!  Then that means Sunday will NOT be a free day.

Either which way it works for you, enjoy the day and give thanks!

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out." - Robert Collier

• I wish I had read this before yesterday!  I am finishing up week 2.  But I will just move my cheat day to yesterday and I will eat clean on Sunday.

• Thank you all for your posts. I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving. If you happen to go overboard don't let that derail your hard earned work. Get to the gym and continue to stay on track. You could also consider skipping your next free day.

bjc102580- You are only on week 2 so don't be upset. Workout hard and hit those 10's in the gym!

saralynn- I heard that pumpkin cheesecake is very good!

Randy- I love your enthusiam and look forward to staying in touch. I'm sure your results will be staggering.

BDMOM- I love your after pictures and I read somewhere that you hope to pack on more muscle. Go for it girl! You would be great in a fitness competiton.

junibird- Hope your Thanksgiving was fantastic! You right doing a B.F.L. meal with Thanksgiving food is not tough. Glad your eating smart.

I am greatful that BFL has entered my life!

Lori

• The pumpkin cheesecake is indeed very good. I am going to have a slice tonight for meal 6.

Yesterday turned out to be very stressful for reasons I can't go into here, but circumstances caused me to miss the cardio session I had planned in the morning. Got right back to it this morning, though. Sunday won't be a free day this week, but that's OK. Back on schedule as of Monday.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• Am I missing something but Isn't the free-day built into the body-for-life program for a reason folks?no need to be careful if you don't want to be just make it  your free-day, a day with no rules no guilt