new, stressed and falling behind

• Hey there,

I'm almost to my third week now, and I was really excited about it. I actually gave up soda completely, which is a huge deal for me. But I've fallen behind now. I'm having some issues at home. My 14 month old is getting MRI's done on his head and we have many appointments yet to go. Eating is something I've always done when I'm upset, and I've fallen back into it. I'm usually half way done before I catch myself. I feel lost and like I am completely failing at this challenge. If the results show up bad I know I'll just keep falling. Does anyone have any suggestions, perhaps some kind of cheat food that's not really cheating, or something I don't know? Would it be better to just wait till things calm at home and I can dedicate my attention to it again? Just kinda start over. I don't know. Thank you for any suggestions in advance. 

The Lady N

• Lady N,

First, I am very sorry to hear about your baby and I pray all is/will be well!!!!

Don't give up. We all have set backs, and no one has a perfect challenge. Do what you can as you go through this tough time. I don't know about any "cheat" foods that would be okay, but you could try some new recipes using some authorized ingredients! I think protein pancakes are yummy! I always feel like I'm cheating when I'm eating those. I could get you the recipe if you'd like, it's on the forum somewhere...

Tisha :-) “Running won't kill you, you'll pass out first!"

• Here's a link to the forum that has different ideas and recipes for a protein pancake. You may find one that works for you!

bodyforlife.com/.../1447.aspx

Tisha :-) “Running won't kill you, you'll pass out first!"

• Tisha28,

Thank you. I appreciate the prayers. I'm gonna try some of those recipes for pancakes. They're bound to be more appetizing than the eggs and broccoli I've been having lately. They sound really good and quite a bit of variety. =) Thanks for the encouragement!

The Lady N

• Lady N: there is no worse pain in the world as a mother than seeing your child in need of help...I get that...man do I get that....Main thing right now is for you to take care of YOU so that you are able to take care of child. Excercising will help. It may not be by the book, but try to get it in just to get you feeling energized.

Prayers to you in your days to come - from a mom to a mom. xxoo

• This year for my wife and I has been hard.  Health issues with both of us, trips to the ER and losing our unborn son.  I found a saying that, "it is in times of weakness that we gain strength"  and it is so true.  Through all of this I am glad to say I have less than four weeks left in the challenge and plan to finish strong.

My advice is whenever you face the decision for a bad habit, as quickly as possible replace it with a good one.  I find working out clears my mind and benefits those around me as much as myself.  Also, don't give up those 'guilty' foods, be sure to enjoy them on your free day.  It will make things much easier the rest of the week.

Stick with it, God doesn't give you more than you can handle.

• LadyN,

This is a really stressful time for you, and it's really easy to feel you have no control over anything in your life right now. It's very important that you find areas in your life over which you do indeed have control, and decisively take it back if you've felt that control slip away from you.

Nutrition and exercise plans like BFL are ideal in times like these, because 1) there's no re-inventing the wheel, the plan is there for you, 2) you have support, and 3) this plan forces you to take control of your life and not be tossed on the sea of life's situations.

Will it be more difficult with a child in and out of medical care? Yes.

Will you follow the plan to the letter all the time? Um... does anyone? I've been doing this one week and already I've missed one workout and I think I've had two days in which I managed to eat all the meals that I'm supposed to.

As a fellow perfectionist, I find it really hard to start a program, because honestly, if I never start it, I can't fail. But no one loves me because I get it right all the time. They love me because no matter how many times I fall down, I choose to get back up. Took me a long time to learn that one.

In your endeavor to be the best mom you can be, remember that you will be in better shape mentally and physically to care for your child and family if you take an 45 minutes a day to take care of yourself. Teach your children early that it doesn't matter how many times you miss the mark, as long as you continue to strive to hit the bull's eye.

On the practical side of things, before you allow yourself to eat anything, drink a full glass of water. While you are drinking, visualize the fitness you want to achieve. If you still want the cookie that bad after the water is gone, go ahead.

• Hi LadyN

I kinda know how you're feeling at the moment, we're waiting for our 13 month old to get heart surgery. I'm expecting a call from the hospital where the surgery will take place any day - we have to fly to a city on the other side of our little country, and leave our other 3 kids behind with only one weeks notice to get there.

I've just finished week 4 of bfl and I can't believe how much better a feel now than before I started.

I too used food as a crutch when I was feeling down or hard done by because my baby was sick, but now I have control in my life (with food and exercise) and it's spread to the other parts of my life and makes me feel like I can handle anything!

Keep up your exercise and healthy eating when you can.... it's so important for us to look after ourselves so we can look after our babies.

Good luck!   Alida xx

• Thank you everyone for the great advice and wonderful encouragement. I got the results back from the MRI today. My son has craniosynostosis. We are now waiting for the doctor to call us back with an appointment for a neurologist. I'm just gonna keep praying and keep trying. I carried water with me everywhere today, and that helped with need to eat. I also made some chocolate protein pancakes and brought them with me!!

• Lady N...

So sorry to hear about your little one..I recently went through a bit of head issues myself..I had a fairly good sized tumor removed and have no real issues because of it.. Im not sure what tje cranio deal is, but kids are exceptionally resilient...

My wife was with my through all of my 4 surgeries..when the steroids they gave me turned me into a lunatic, she just put up with me rather than strangle me..when I had a painful series of spinal taps, and laid in bed crying because it hurt so bad, she didnt flinch..I asked her how she got through it all and put up with me for all that time she said "well first of all, I love you..I knew if it was me, you would do the same thing..also when I needed support, I got it from my friends..When I needed to vent, I vented..When I needed to cry, I cried..and when I needed to laugh, I talked to you..you made me laugh despite  being at your absolute worst...."..

So, vent and cry when you need to, lean on your friends, and always remember to laugh when you can..

It will make all the tough times easier to deal with..

Matt

• Hey everyone, sorry I didn't do this before. I hate to say it but I became self absorbed in my situation.

Legs, thank you for the prayers and the encouraging words.

Brian428, I'm sorry to hear about the pain that you have recently suffered. But I'm very happy to hear that you are doin well and plan on finishing strong. Thank you for the advice and encouragement.

LauraD, thank you fellow perfectionist, haha. I'm tryin not to be too crazy about this. I've slipped up but am tryin to get back on track. Thank you for your input and encouragement.

Alida, I will keep you and your family in my prayers. I'm slowly starting to get some of the control back and it does feel better. Thank you for the encouragement I hope it continues to go well for you. Good luck.

Matt, I'm so glad to hear that you are okay and doing well. Thank you for sharing that with me. It's very encouraging.

• try greek yogurt if you like creamy, dairy foods like I do.  I add a little stevia and maybe a banana.  23g of protein and only 9 g carbs (without the banana).  and drink more water to fill the tummy.

• I have the same issue as far as using food to combat stress.  I'm sorry to hear about your toddler and I hope everything turnsout well.  I went to Dr, Amen's website and took his test to see what kind of an eater I am.  For each type he recommends supplements to help with the cravings.  Nothing weird - mostly vitamins and amino acids.  I found this really helps me.  It also helps to keep something healthy around to eat. I toasted sliced almonds and eat them when really feeling the need.