CHEAT DAY!!

• Hi Jacium:

I am not hungry at all during the week, and I feel well fed.  However, when you are eating lower calories, you need to up it once in awhile so your body doesn't feel deprived.  Kinda the same with carb cycling.  I eat one or two fruits everyday, and I eat veggies with most meals (I even put spinach in with my egg whites in the morning).  There are tons of articles on here about taking advantage of your free day for that reason, and Bill Phillips mentions it in one of his books, maybe Eating for Life?  I think everyone needs to do what feels right for their body, and I plan to stray a bit from the plan just one day a week.

I don't think dark chocolate is on the banned list, but I know it is not on the approved list (ha).  I appreciate your wisdom and am glad you are part of these boards.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• Just adding my 2 cents.

It's a FREE day.  Not a cheat day.

You earned that day.  You sweat and strained in the gym, you restrained yourself the rest of the week.

You paid the price.

You earned your free day.

You're not cheating.

MMMMMMM can't wait for Sunday.

Thayerphotos.com

• BDMom,

You're oh so  right  that everyone needs to tune in to their body and do what's right for them.   I recall getting hungry early on, and I still do sometimes, particularly when eating a dinner a bit late.  I found that increasing fiber tended to help me feel less hungry throughout the day.  There's probably a number of calories that's optimal for each person, depending on their physical stature, so if you haven't already, you may want to estimate how many calories your'e getting during the week.   And, about the dark chocolate,  I never ate dark chocolate before I did my first challenge, I only liked milk chocolate.  One square, 50 calories, no net  impact.    I recall the book saying you have to eat some fat to lose fat.  Not too much, of course, but some.  There's a whole lot of difference between these recommended fats vs. the saturated fats in processed foods, or in the sugars thrown into processed foods that  our bodies convert to fat.   I also eat almonds, cashews, and walnuts, avocado, but in appropriate quantities, of course.

Once I discovered the joys of weight training, all other passions were transcended.

Jacium

• Thayerphotos,

the term Cheat Day showed up at this website, as some loose colloquial term, and as you point out is incorrect.  It is truly a free day to eat what you want, and skip a workout.  The free day is needed most  early in the first challenge, and I'm sure for many it is a genuine need.  But, once the transformation has occurred or is starting to take hold, it is viewed with a different perspective.  Even the more recent "Champions Body for Life" book hints at moderation even on this day.  Did we really pay that steep of a price this week?   I prefer to think we actually rewarded ourselves with a gift of healthier eating and excercise.  I think we had it easy this week compared to what our ancestors went through 10,000 years ago, or even 200 years ago.

Once I discovered the joys of weight training, all other passions were transcended.

Jacium