Looking to start program soon, but.....

• will be out of town two times in the next three months for a week at a time.  I really don't want to wait until mid August to start, but know that I can't exercise and eat how I need to while I am away on family vacation.  If you take time off, can you pick up where you left off...say I am gone during week 3, can I come back and start at week 3, or is that not practical.  What are your suggestions?

I look forward to getting to know you all...just reading and researching as much as I possibly can right now.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• BDMom: Plan to take BFL with you on your trip out of town. :) No need to stop this lifestyle.

• Hello,

Of course I do not know your situation, but you seem to be completely dismissive of being able to practice BFL while traveling.  Unless there is some extraordinary time constraint (which may be the case), then you can find an hour each day for BFL.  Keep in mind 3 of those 6 days involves a 20-minute work out.  All you need is a watch, parking lot, open field or beach for that matter.  The other 3 days can be more challenging since you may not have access to weights.  However, isometric exercises are available.  Use your imagination or Google for ideas. One of the biggest challenges in BFL is time management.  The good news is if you can manage BFL on the road you can certainly manage the program at home!

As for nutrition, it too can be managed on the road.  If I can do it, I am sure you can too!

My opinion is you can always find things that will interfere with the perfect schedule.  Perfect schedules are a panacea.  Don't count on them.  Instead use your real life schedule conflicts as a challenge to demonstrate your commitment.  Over my past 11 weeks, I have been on 2 business trips (2 days each), one out of town college graduation (3 days), one trip to the Indy 500 (3 days), my parents came into town for a weekend (2 days) and we have had Memorial Day. Through it all, I kept my BFL commitment.  Life is what happens while we are looking for a perfect time to start our next endeavor.  Plan for life not perfection!  

Good luck!

Todd      

• I'm gonna be out of town for three weeks in a row during the program (weeks 7, 8 & 9) and one of those weeks will be in Kauai for my anniversary.  I plan fully to continue the BFL program.  I'll be traveling with a cooler full of Myoplex RTD shakes, bars, fruit, healthy food, etc...  When there is not a gym available I'm gonna run on my cardio days and you can get a full body workout without any equipment besides a simple chair:  pushups (wide & close grip), setups, crunches, squats, lunges, calf raises, back extensions, planks, dips (using a chair), etc...  I don't plan to deprive myself while in Kauai either... I'm just gonna make sure and not overdo it and it is Kauai... there is every kind of outdoor exercise you could imagine to do there.

I don't see any reason why you would need to "stop" the program... just make sure and plan ahead and just "alter" it to meet your needs at the time.  

• Thank you all for the input.  I guess I was a little vague, so let me tell you a little more.

First of all, I am not out of shape, just wanting to get to the next level.  I am married, in my early 40's and have two young children.  I am 5'4", 118-120#, 18-19% body fat.  So, I currently eat very clean and workout on a regular basis.  I have had the BFL book for 5-6 years, but didn't think I could commit to it when my children were babies.  I don't make excuses and when I do something, I want to give it 110%.  For that matter, I think I will wait until August when vacations/trips are over with, and school starts again.

One of the trips I am taking is to a very small town in Texas, with NOTHING for miles away.  My grandma is ill and expected to pass away any day now.  When I go for the funeral, I will be staying in a tiny house with lots of people.  No gym equipment and no room to do anything.  I could get the cardio in, easily, by going outdoors (even though very hot out).  I will be flying, with just a carry-on and can't bring much for food, so I will be at their mercy.  No excuses, just the facts and would feel a little funny about being so "wrapped up in me, " while we are grieving the loss of someone special.

The other trip is to Disneyworld, where we will be getting to the park when they open (8:00 a.m.) and staying until they close (11:00 p.m.).  Cardio won't be a problem, but weight lifting will.  We will be in a small hotel room, with the girls.  It does not have a gym, and there will be little time to get a workout in.  Have to be quiet while kids are sleeping.  No outside food allowed in park, so have to make best eating choices.

So, none of this is new to me.  I do fairly well while travelling.  I lost 35 pounds seven years ago, and have kept it off, with very few problems.  However, I had my appendix and ovary removed a few months ago, and have been gaining a little ever since.  Just want to really push myself and see what type of results I can get.

So, I will wait until I can commit wholeheartedly, at least for the first few weeks.  Then, I will handle anything that comes up.  I am fairly good at getting my workouts in, even if kids are home sick, etc.....

Thanks again for reading, and for the input.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• Remember that if you plan to enter the challenge officially the weeks must be start to finish consecutive 12 weeks.  

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Todd,

thanks for sharing this.

I'm doing the BFL C2 now.

I'm going to be on a week business trip in Thailand for the summer and my mind was all into 'Vacation!' and I figured that I would take a week break

But for sure I need to continue the program and work around my situation.

Thanks for sharing this!

Dan

"Live your life and let your life live with SelfImprovedMe.com!