Enough protein????

• OK - ya'll may be able to tell that I have just discovered this forum today! I am LOVING reading everyone's input because it lets me know that I am right on track and I am NOT ALONE in this!

I have a SERIOUS question, though...

I talked with the kind folks on the toll-free help line about how to know if I am eating enough or too much... I was told that a person needs .8gm of protein for every pound of body weight... For me, that is ALOT of protien! I am seriously concerned that in an effort to get enough protein, I am going to be getting TOO MANY calories! ESPECIALLY if I have to pair a carb with it!

Can anyone give me suggestions for how to get enough protein without too many calories? I know about protein powder and obvioulsy lean meats and eggs and cheese. Any ideas in addition to these?

I look forward to this "journey" with you guys!

Today is the day to NOT quit!!!! <3 EARGAL

• I am a newbie, so I don't claim to be an expert...BUT

I am starting at 150# multiplied by .8 would be 120 grams of protein a day for me.  Divided by my 6 meals is only 20 grams per meal.  That's not too hard to do.  I am a vegetarian, so getting quality protein is especially hard for me.  But low fat cottage cheese is a great alternative to other meats and cheeses.  I hope this helps a bit.

• Supposedly whey protein is the best bang for your buck, most protein with the least calories. I too am vegetarian, and have upped my whey protein, because I don't think I get as much protein with the other stuff, have to eat alot of eggs or cottage cheese to get to the 20g protein

• Eargal,

Just a couple thoughts that you might find helpful.

Another great source of protein is greek yogurt.  It is higher in protein than other yogurts, so you can easily make a meal out of it.  CHOBANI sells them in single (6oz) servings in 5 or 6 flavors.  I add a tbsp of my Low carb whey protein powder to get my carbs and protein up to approx. 20 gms of each (the goal for many women is 20gms protein and 20gms carbs for each of the six meals).

Many BFLers use cottage cheese as their last meal, since it is casein protein, as is greek yogurt.  Casein is a protein source that is absorbed slowly, so the body doesn't consume our hard earned muscle during the night.  So, have cottage cheese with fruit before bed, or mix cottage cheese and yogurt.  

Whey protein is the best source of protein to consume within 30 minutes of your weight training workouts.  You want to consume this protein quickly so your muscles can begin to repair right away.  A whey shake works great after weights.  

Remember, after cardio HIIT, wait at least an hour after HIIT to eat to maximize fat burning.  But after weights, eat or drink whey protein within a half an hour to maximize muscle building.

Hope you find some of this helpful!

Julie

C2W5D31

• For the vegetarians, remember that broccoli has a lot of protein, for a vegetable. Also, try soy protein based products.

Here's a site, currently geared to broccoli, that'll help with the information - www.nutritiondata.com/.../2

hope it helps!

Heath.

• Julie, thank you so much for the advice about the different types of proteins and how fast/slow they are absorbed.  I had no idea.  That's why I LOVE this site so much!  I learn something new everyday.

Heath, thanks for the data.  That must be why I love broccoli so much!  :o)  What do you know about spinach?  I eat it like 4 times a week.  I love it - can't seem to get enough.