Muscle soreness from hell!

• Okay, I have been sore before. This is beyond sore. I cannot even sit on the toilet without wincing. What am I doing wrong here? I am on day 4, so yesterday I had my first lower body workout. I know I worked out hard. Thats the point, right? Is this much soreness normal? I am waddling around like a pregnant penguin! I had a protein shake right after my workout and ate around 20gcarb/20gprotein meals all day. I know its regular muscle soreness, not a bad injury because it is both of my upper legs, all the way around (hams and glutes). Any suggestions on how to avoid this pain next time or to alleviate it now?

• LOL! Sorry I don't mean to laugh. But I know exactly how you feel. I just ran a half marathon over the weekend I had a hard time doing anything.

To help your muscles recover. In addition to stretching a few time throughout the day, I would recommend for the first 4-6 weeks or so to take a supplement called HMB. It helps your muscles recover quicker so you are not sore. I will tell you...at the beginning of the program, the cardio day after the lower body workout is tough. But push through it. It really does help your muscles to loosen up.

Hope this helps!

Zavi

zavi-mybodyforlifechallenge.blogspot.com   

• You're having exactly the right experience by about day 4!  This level of soreness will pass in a few days, and even though you continue to work hard and push for 10's, it will be rare if ever that you get that sore again.  Try the supplements if you like, many people report good results.  However, it's been my experience that it just takes some time to get through that first phase of soreness and then you're good to go.  Good luck!

• Thank you for your answers, the pain was significantly less on the 3rd day after. I have never had it that bad though. glad thats over:-)

• You are doing everything absolutely right.  DOMS is a good thing; it means you worked your muscles hard!  I love to soak in a hot bath wtih epsom salt; it is great for muscle soreness.  Once you don't feel that soreness anymore (within 3-4 weeks), make sure you change up your workout routines, so you feel it again!  Keep up the good work.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• Glad to hear you're feeling better!  I did the same thing on my first lower body workout this time-- more sore than EVERRRR!!  I didn't have time to hit the gym so spent my time on dumbbell squats and lunges.  I think it isolated my muscles more than the leg press ever had, and I was really thinking I was going to have to get handicapped toilets or something!  It's much better now, and I definitely know how to isolate my quads and glutes in a way I never had.  Warm soaks and a post-workout supplement helped some, but it just worked its way out.  Since I know I went to failure, I was careful to make sure I did rest my muscles appropriately until my next lower body workout, and by then, I was ready to hit it again.  Good luck!!  

• Lol!! Welcome to BFL!! I don't mean to laugh but you are right on track. Your muscles....especially your legs since they are your largest muscle group are screaming.."what the heck did you do to me?" The soreness you have is a good soreness and will eventually ease off as you continue to exercise. Keep it up....you're doing great!!

fit4life "The dream must be bigger than the pain"

• No worries about laughing, my husband did too;-) . Now that it feels better, it IS funny. My body definitaly didn't know what was going on. I am ready to get back in the gym in the morning and do it to myself again!!!

@justanothernurse, haha I was wishing I had those handicap bars in my bathroom;-)

• Sounds like you are right where you are supposed to be, I remember posting something similar the first week of my first challenge.  Keep up the good work!!!

Brez

• To tone down or help with possible soreness post workout I use the hot /cold type of therapy with a hot tub/whirlpool or massage shower, alternating between them both about 2 or 3 times .  It seems to help with that problem. Are you stretching before and after your workouts as well? Are you warming up before you undertake a segment also. These may also help you out with that soreness.

• You could try taking 100mg of CoQ10.  There was a study that determined it helped muscle recovery - especially in women.  I just started my challenge today, but I've been lifting since high school (I'm 34).  I've been taking it for a week hoping that it'll build up or something. :)  Anyway, I lifted super hard this morning so I'm anxious to see if I notice a difference in how sore I am in the next couple of days.  

The other thing I would suggest is to go for a walk or even jog a bit - just until you are nice and warm and almost sweaty.  Not hard, relaxed, talking, etc.   Blood flow helps get all that nasty lactic acid out of your muscles which is contributing to how sore you are.  Make sure you drink lots of water too. :)