Workout upper body even if still sore from previous workout?

• HI all, just started my BFL program on Feb 6. First weight session was quite intense, so intense that my arms are still pretty sore today 4 days later. Today I'm due for my second upper body workout day so was wondering if I should continue with it as planned or maybe modify it in some way.  That or should I just skip it altogether until my muscles don't hurt so much. What do you all think?

• my first upper body workout had me sore for at least 5 days.  honestly i was thinking no way can i lift the way i feel. after i lifted i felt better.  that first week was KILLER!  Stick with it, you can do it!

• What Andy said,

I was pretty sore the first week too and worked out even though I was sore. I just pushed my way though it, then took a hot shower. Now, I still get sore, because I'm always pushing myself. But now, it only lasts for about two days.

Come visit my blog!

http://fittrac.blogspot.com

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you'll be right!

• I switched my cardio session and upper body training days up. Upper body today was rough. Felt so weak, though most of the soreness was gone. Oh well I know I will get better if I just keep at it. Back on track next week. Thanks for the advice you two.

• Hi Ace,

Just to clarify, you are scheduling your workouts as per Bill Phillips, correct? As in upper body Monday and Friday and lower body on Wednesday - then the following week, do a lower body workout Monday and Friday and upper body on Wednesday. Cardio would be on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturday (or Sunday).

The reason I'm asking is, some of my friends have read the Body for Life book and they're still doing an upper body workout every other day and a lower body workout every other day, thus working out each muscle group three times a week. I used to do that too.

Come visit my blog!

• Hi Elle,

Yes I am following the program according to the book.  On my 4th week now. The biggest challenge for me is the cardio at this point.  What is your biggest challenge?

• Hi Ace,

My biggest challenge is cardio too. Sometimes I just want to get on a bike and leisurely peddle for 20 minutes in front of the TV. Today, I forced myself to put the dial on a higher setting and sweated for 20 minutes. As soon as this setting gets easier, I'm going to turn it up a notch.

I have to say, I did start liking cardio more and more. I have a gym buddy who spends about an hour a day on the eliptical trainer. She wasn't too into weight lifting, but now she's starting to like it. I'm starting to find the cardio to be rewarding, because the weight seems to be coming off easier than when I sloughed through my cardio workout.

Glad you're going by the book. It's best for fat loss and speedy muscle building.

Come visit my blog!

• So - for me it's not a question of pressing through the soreness - it's a question of "the FAQs say do not work out if you are still sore."  So now I'm thoroughly confused. Any comments?

• Soreness is the slight- tearing of the muscle-tissues[its called DOMS] in the tissues, which most trainers agree can be worked-through with Light exercise->[cardio]. soreness is nothing to worry about, it should subside in a few days.

go here-> sportsmedicine.about.com/.../doms.htm

and here->en.wikipedia.org/.../Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness

the times when I overdid my exercise, some extra supplements, and keeping active seamed to help for me. Hope that helped!

My Best to you!

• It really depends.

Ideally you do not want to be going in to the working the same muscles if they are sore but often recovery takes longer when first starting out. You probably should have taken it a little easier when starting out.

That being said, it is to late to take your workout back so live with it and power through it this time but maybe drop your intensity down a little. If you are continually hurt for 4 days after a workout then you are either over training or injured.

Pushing your limits is a good thing but if you do to much too soon, it is the fastest way to put yourself on the bench where you will zero results.