Bill Phillips 5/25 Workout Plan

• Any thoughts on this?  A girl on my Body for Life Support Facebook page posted these workouts.  It allows you to work out 5 days a week for 25 minutes.   Having 2 teenagers heavily involved in activities I am intrigued at the idea of working out 5 days a week.  Yet I'm skeptical to try it as I know the 12, 10, 8, 6, 12, 12 routine works.

http://www.transformation.com/billsblog/Notes-from-the-Path/Overview-of-the-5-25-Workout-Plan/148383

http://www.transformation.com/billsblog/Notes-from-the-Path/The-5-25-Lower-Body-Workout/151358

• I personally work out 5 days a week and don't have any problems.  As long as you are giving your body time to rest and recover there is no absolute best routine.

• Hey Heather, I'm doing something like the 5/25 program and have had great results so far.

I found that my intensity for lifting weights drops dramatically after 30 minutes, so designed my lifting program to take no longer than 30 minutes, but keep myself pushing hard all the way through. This is what I'm doing:

Weight Program:

Deep Front Squats w/Overhead Press, Flat Dumbell Bench Press, Bent Arm Pullovers, Lying Tricep Extensions, Standing Bicep Curls, Lateral Raises. 1st set 12 reps, 2nd set 10 reps, 3rd set 6-8 reps. Do all exercises without any rest, 1st set goes though all exercises once, then right into the 2nd set and then right into the 3rd. You can do a 4th run through of them all again at a light warm down level if you have the time... or energy. This workout is a major cardio kicker on top of a full body strengthener. Sometimes if I'm feeling great and have the time, after the lifting portion I'll do a 20 to 30 minute moderate cardio routine on the bike or treadmill.

The Workout Week:

Mon. 5 to 10 min warm up cardio, then go hard on the weight program.

Tues. 20 to 30 minute cardio peak training on treadmill, Tabata system if time is shorter.

Wed. 5 to 10 min warm up cardio, then go hard on the weight program.

Thurs. 20 to 30 minute cardio peak training on treadmill, Tabata system if time is shorter.

Fri.5 to 10 min warm up cardio, then go hard on the weight program.

Sat. 20 to 30 minute cardio peak training on treadmill, Tabata system if time is shorter.

Sun. Day Off, maybe a light cardio though.

Works great, see what you think.

Cheatday

• Heather: Your post was quite interesting. I don't know much about the 5-25 workout plan but I have started doing Bills 525 cardio....which is 5 intervals of 5 minutes each. This is walking for 2 min......jog for 2 min.....then sprint for one min. You do this 5 times. My current levels are walk 4mph.....jog 6 mph.....sprint 8 mph. When I'm done I'm dripping with sweat. As far as working out 5 days a week I have a read a few posts here on the forum over the last week of people working out 5 days and resting 2 days. Since our diet is 90% of our success I don't see any problem with only 5 workouts. I would stronly recommend though that on the 6th day that you continue to eat clean and reserve your free day to only one day. All the best Heather.

fit4life "The dream must be bigger than the pain"

• Thanks for the replies.  Fit...the lifting is done in circuits.  So you do 5 exercises, 10 reps each and do them one after the other with no break.  Then a 2 minute break and do it again...5 times total.  It's supposed to take 25 minutes.   For example:

Incline Dumbbell Press – 10 Repetitions

Standing Shoulder Press – 10 Repetitions

Bent-Over Dumbbell Raises – 10 Repetitions

Biceps Curls – 10 Repetitions

Triceps Extensions – 10 Repetitions

Rest 2 - 2.5 Minutes then Repeat Circuit, a Total of 5 Times

I think I am going to give this a try tonight and see how I feel.

• Sound like an interesting cardio/weight type program, may have to give this one a try sometime.

• When I was on maternity leave, getting a workout in 30 min was ideal because I never knew when my newborn was going to wake up from her nap. Someone suggest I try Jillian Michaels' "30 Day Shred" It's a killer workout composed of a warm up, 3 min of weights, 2 min of cardio and 1 min of abs. This goes on for 3 sets. Since it's packed in 30 min, you know Jiillian is going to work your butt off. I loved it.

• does bill phillips really have a plan that is 5/25 or did you invent that? Is there a link??

• Heather....OK....now I understand. With circuit training like that you can really fit in a lot of work in a short period of time. I'm currently into my 3rd week of a challenge but I may try this once I'm done. Thanks for the info.

• Yes, it's real.  The links are in my first post.  I don't know how to make them clickable so you'll just have to copy and paste them.

• I tried the upper body last night.  I'm sore today!  It was tougher than I thought it would be since you are doing 5 sets of 10 with no break.  My arms were on fire!

• This looks like a great change-up. I wonder though, going from machines to free weights, how to select weight levels? Also, do you use the same weights for all five circuits?

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• Holy guacamole, Batman. I did the 5-25 cardio this morning at 3.6, 5.6 and 7.6 mph. I think I can bump up the lower level a bit, but I worked up a good sweat and had to use the "I think I can" mantra.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• Saralynn: That really is a surprisingly tough little workout isn't it?,,,,,,I've been stuck at 4mph-6mph-8mph for several weeks now. In fact when I'm at my sprint of 8mph I can only go for 50 sec. so my goal is to do a full minute for all 5 cycles. Have a great day.

• fit4life - my regular BFL HIIT intervals were 4.0, 4.6, 5.2, 6.2 and level 10 at 9.0 mph. I have exercise induced asthma so I need a walking pace for the first two minutes. I was fairly comfortable in all but that final minute, so I figured the 5-25 would be a good shake-up. The walk two, jog two, run one intervals is truly all I can tolerate with my asthma. I think I can work up to 4.0, 6.0, 8.0 but it may take a while - at least until frost hits and allergy season ends.

There is a new elliptical at our YMCA (Precor AMT) which I think will be great for 5-25 intervals. They were just installed yesterday and should be online with Fitlinxx tracking by next week. That will be the next thing I try.

You have a great day too.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.