Upping Weights Every Week? Is this normal?

• Hi Guys,

I'm on week 7 now of my challenge and, particularly in the lower body weights workout, I seem to have to be upping my weights on a weekly basis in order to hit my 9s/10s.

Is this normal and just means my strength is increasing, or have I got the technique wrong/need to change type of exerise?

My lifts are still controled, counting up/down for 3 and holding for one etc.

• I did the same thing during my first challenge. As long as your form is correct and you are controlling the weight and not swinging it, than you are doing it correct. When you first begin a consistent weightlifing program your strength gains come faster. After a long time, you will likely find that it takes more time before you can increase the weight. But for now, great job and enjoy seeing your progress increase so rapidly!

• How about for the upper body. I am in my first week now and tomorrow I will do my upper body again. I am actually still a bit sore from my workout on monday. should I stay with the same weight I used on monday. Do I stay with that till I no longer feel challenged? I am not too sure if I am woning my intensity level when I begin though when I finish I do?? How do I figure that out?

• mybodyforevever

Could you have lifted more on your "10" and still done the required number of reps?  Then you're ready to move up.  But be careful.  Once you start getting to the heavier dumbbells, above 30 lbs or so, there won't be any 2.5 lb increments, so, for example, to go from 30 to 35 lbs is a ~17% increase.

Jacium

Once I discovered the joys of weight training, all other passions were transcended.

Jacium

• Thank you guys, I'll make sure I keep on pushing!!  It feels good to know I'm getting stronger, My lightest weight now, is heavier than my heaviest weight at the start of the challenge, if that makes sense!!

• I think it's great that you are able to increase your weights weekly or every other.l I have been striving to do the same but at the same time I am aware that it does get tougher further along and you must keep the form correct or the effort will not be as fruitful and could result in injury(then you have a setback). So It is important to "listen to your body " in this regard to avoid that.

• I think it's great that you are able to increase your weights weekly or every other.l I have been striving to do the same but at the same time I am aware that it does get tougher further along and you must keep the form correct or the effort will not be as fruitful and could result in injury(then you have a setback). So It is important to "listen to your body " in this regard to avoid that.

• xPHOENIx - keep upping them, but I totally agree with WPBill that you need to keep perfect form.  Don't worry - you'll plateau soon enough!

Jacium

Once I discovered the joys of weight training, all other passions were transcended.

Jacium