Weights too heavy for a lady?

• I'm overweight trying to loose body fat, I'm in my 2nd week doing it with my boyfriend. I have one question about how heavy should a woman go with weights? I'm already doing weights for the lower body  the same as my boyfriend with ease, I'm scared I might go bulky going heavier on weights all the time, should I stick to certain weights or not??

Never give up, but do so with lots of patience.

• Well lets see yesterday I strict shoulder pressed 75#, back squat 170# and dead lifted 215#.   I wear a size 8 dress slacks.  :)  I use 40,45,50,55 & 60# dumbbells for one armed rows.  I've been working up to that weight for 3 years and I'm not bullky.

Don't be afraid to lift heavy weights, it's rare that a woman has enough testosterone to bulk up.  Remember to keep your rest periods short and your workouts in the time recommended for maximum results.  If you are having to rest too much in between sets, then lower your weights slightly. 

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• I think you are pretty just the way you are and I am extremely proud of you, though your  b/friend must start adding some weights.

• I suspect that imagine is the boyfriend to cvd17 and I think that is awesome that you support one another.

• Cvd17,

I have to say, it feels sooooo good to lift heavy, heavy weights & especially on my lower body work out because my upper body is pretty weak.  And, when I walk and I'm sore, I just remember how strong I am and that I lifted all that weight in squats.  I bet the more you lift, the more confidence you'll get as well, just an added bonus.  I have lifted for a long time (but have taken a lot of time off as well - hence here I am ) and am not bulky.  A lot of the women who are champions have beautiful legs that aren't bulky.

My mind and heart are on the mend and now, thanks to BFL, my body isn't too far behind! :-)

Lindylou

• Cvd17,

I have to say, it feels sooooo good to lift heavy, heavy weights & especially on my lower body work out because my upper body is pretty weak.  And, when I walk and I'm sore, I just remember how strong I am and that I lifted all that weight in squats.  I bet the more you lift, the more confidence you'll get as well, just an added bonus.  I have lifted for a long time (but have taken a lot of time off as well - hence here I am ) and am not bulky.  A lot of the women who are champions have beautiful legs that aren't bulky.

My mind and heart are on the mend and now, thanks to BFL, my body isn't too far behind! :-)

Lindylou

• How often can one expect to "up" the weights? Is the answer as easy as..."when they feel too easy to lift?" I can honestly say that I am lifting the heaviest that I can possibly do. Sometimes I can't even finish my last few reps without taking a 3 second break. Should I be focusing more on good form and finishing the reps strong....or pushing myself to lift heavier even if I struggle?

• Good form should always be the number one focus.  

• Yes, if weights are too heavy we tend to use momentum instead controlled lifts, so we are not doing nearly as much good.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• Thank you so much for all your input ladies, I'm taking your advise and running with it! with support like this how can I possibly go wrong :-)

• You are spot on Michelle, I'm a very lucky woman indeed.

• HI, on my lower body I am using the machines. Yesterday was my time for lower body and I tried using dumbells with lunges! Oh not so good. The tops of my knee caps really hurt, any sugestions? This is when I swtched back to using the machines. I am not good at lunges, find them really difficult to do. I was using 10lb dumbells and it still hurt like heck. Today though I though they would five me trouble but they are fine.